Reasons for US citizenship on relocating to India

confused124

My husband and I are in India and have no intention of returning to the US. He is the only son with 4 dependents in his family. We do not have children.

He got his citizenship whereas I still have to go thru fingerprinting and then interview after 2-3 months.
I have been wondering if I should go at all wasting 150,000 rupees ($3000+) when I could be pursuing other more important activities here.

I suppose getting social security income for which I have 40 credits , would be a reason for getting the citizenship. And perhaps foreign travel if the opportunity arose. Can't think of anything else.

Wondering if anybody can think of any other reasons why it would make sense to take the citizenship.
And yes, I do know that this is a personal decision, still wanted inputs:).
Thanks
Confused

If you have no intentions of returning to the US, then it doesn't make much sense getting a citizenship. Your husband is already a USC, so if you have any children in the future, they can become US citizens easily. This way, they have an easy opportunity to come to the US once they grow up.

Getting USC

For the sake of arguement lets assume that Soc. Sec. is going to pay you $500 (since you have 40 credits) per month. Translate that to Indian Rs. That's roughly Rs. 22,500 (I assumed $1 = Rs.45, worse than current conversion rates). That's a significant chunk of money. Also once you get your USC you can apply for a OCI card. This will allow you to have all benefits of being an Indian Citizen except for owning agricultural land and the right to vote. So I for one don't see a downside to getting USC and then getting an OCI.

Good luck.

Looking at current trend one can get a feeling social security sooner or later will be gone and that process will be gradual that is benefits for oversea foreigners (who have worked in USA to earn enough ecredits) will go first, then benefits will go away for PRs, then finally citizens. So citizenship is the
last defense to protect your ss benefits.

You may argiue that you paid taxes so you deserve its benefits no matter what. Everyone agree but if they don't have money they can not give you money

For the sake of arguement lets assume that Soc. Sec. is going to pay you $500 (since you have 40 credits) per month. Translate that to Indian Rs. That's roughly Rs. 22,500 (I assumed $1 = Rs.45, worse than current conversion rates). That's a significant chunk of money. Also once you get your USC you can apply for a OCI card. This will allow you to have all benefits of being an Indian Citizen except for owning agricultural land and the right to vote. So I for one don't see a downside to getting USC and then getting an OCI.

Good luck.

The biggest downside of being USC is taxes. PRs and USCs need to pay tax in US on global income, irrespective of where they live. They can of course make use of treaties and exclude some foreign income, but it depends on the bracket you fall in, and the sources of your income. India presently charges zero tax on dividends and long term capital gains. Depending on what the quantum is, it can make a big difference. Depending on what you and/or husband earn, you could be much more efficient with one person as USC and another as Indian citizen (but NOT PR). If you are on PR, it is same as being USC from taxation perspective. Again, India tax rules will change in 2011 (they are still tentative), and in my opinion align more closely with US rates, so you never know what the net differential will be.

Your husband is already a USC, so if you have any children in the future, they can become US citizens easily.
It is not always so easy. When just one parent is a US citizen, there is an added burden of proof to show how long the parent lived in the US before the birth. One poster was unable to obtain citizenship at birth for his children because of this, as the consulate said his proof was insufficient.

My husband and I are in India and have no intention of returning to the US. He is the only son with 4 dependents in his family. We do not have children.

He got his citizenship whereas I still have to go thru fingerprinting and then interview after 2-3 months.
I have been wondering if I should go at all wasting 150,000 rupees ($3000+) when I could be pursuing other more important activities here.

I suppose getting social security income for which I have 40 credits , would be a reason for getting the citizenship. And perhaps foreign travel if the opportunity arose. Can't think of anything else.

Wondering if anybody can think of any other reasons why it would make sense to take the citizenship.
And yes, I do know that this is a personal decision, still wanted inputs:).
Thanks
Confused

The opportunity you have now may not be there in a few years. Lets say you lose your GC & your husband decides to move to U.S..you would have to go through all the hoopla again. I would suggest, bite the bullet and get your US Citizenship & then you can move wherever you want.

It the end, in life you never say never. So its entirely possible that you may come back to the U.S after all.

its worth more than $3000. So get it if you have already applied.
It will cost you 10 times more if you want to get it. Once you lose GC for not staying in US, it will be such a hassle to get GC back and apply for citizenship again.

I am always confused why people who don't want to live in US get USC ?

Sometimes shit happens!! You can say if you are USC, figure out how to handle shit but from here. But sometimes, it is much easier to be opportunistic (if that's how you want to see it).

Thanks all, for your responses.
sanjose, your point about taxes on global income - if we'll be paying taxes in India, won't we be exempted from paying US taxes on that income regardless of income level? my husband doesn't have a job yet but when he does, no
matter what our income, aren't we only liable to pay Indian taxes? we'll of course have to file US taxes and claim exemption. I am not planning to work yet.
Also, if I decide not to go ahead with this, will I have to surrender my GC? Or let it just be? It is valid till 2014. While my GC is valid, will I also have to file US taxes?

Regarding SS income, even if I get $500 (according to the online calculator it is $700 but I doubt it) , the amount in Rs. will depend on the exchange rate in 20 years. Also inflation rate in India will decide how much it will be worth.

Jackolantern, my husband was a student in the US and lived there for 20 yrs before we moved back last year. I assume his student records, pay stubs, etc. should be able to prove residency for any future children.

Once again, thank you.

sanjose, your point about taxes on global income - if we'll be paying taxes in India, won't we be exempted from paying US taxes on that income regardless of income level?
The exemptions are not "regardless of income level." Most with under US$100K income would owe nothing to the US, but you still have to do the calculations to know for your own situation.
Also, if I decide not to go ahead with this, will I have to surrender my GC?
If you want to visit the US as a tourist, you definitely should surrender the GC. Otherwise if you try to use the GC you could get refused entry because you've been away for so long. And then it would be hard to get a tourist visa after that because you showed immigrant intent when trying to use the GC.
Jackolantern, my husband was a student in the US and lived there for 20 yrs before we moved back last year. I assume his student records, pay stubs, etc. should be able to prove residency for any future children.
That's if he can obtain or already has those records. The other poster I mentioned had lived in the US for over 10 years, but couldn't obtain enough of the old records to satisfy the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also remember, if you surrender your GC or it's revoked, you will have to start from ground 0 if you ever want to visit US. The consulate officer where you apply wont have time to listen to your story about your husband being in US for 20+ years and you had a GC etc etc. Bcoz of the fact that he has citizenship, he can apply for you GC again. Things are getting worse in US in terms of immigration due to terrorism/economy etc. So you never know if they change terms later for all non-citizens

But because you are too much concerned about short term goal of saving 3K, I would think you need that 3K badly enough. So make up your mind.

How do you plan to prove residency requirements for N-400? I ask because you state you have already moved out of US.

If SS is paid to only GC holders and USCs, you may not get any benefits if you lose your GC by breaking residency requirements. You might get benefits based on your husband if he qualifies.

If you decide to lose your GC because your husband is a USC, its a gamble. If he isn't around tomorrow (any number of negative scenarios), you won't be able to come back to US without going through H-1, GC cycle.

10 put of 10 people I know who went back to India to settle down ( who had GC and have no plans to come back to live in US) waited for their citizenship. 2 people who had lost their jobs stayed in US for 6 months just to get Citizenship and then left. 4 of them came back.

So it depends on each individual and how they look at their future.

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I are in India and have no intention of returning to the US.

There's no point pursuing the naturalization process since you are now permanently living in India and have no intention of returning to the US. Thus you have already broken US residency ties and should expect a denial if you continue the process.

sanjose, your point about taxes on global income - if we'll be paying taxes in India, won't we be exempted from paying US taxes on that income regardless of income level? my husband doesn't have a job yet but when he does, no
matter what our income, aren't we only liable to pay Indian taxes? we'll of course have to file US taxes and claim exemption. I am not planning to work yet.

No, he still needs to file US taxes every year. 87K USD worth income is exempt from taxes if he lives 330 days outside US (per year), but any interest, dividend and capital gains are NOT exempt ... only the salary. While 87K limit is good enough for most people, it is the other aspects which can make a difference. For example, you can sell your primary house in India and defer India taxes / avoid India taxes by re-investing in a house or buying capital gains bonds. No such things avoidance for US taxes.

Regarding other issues, I think other members have provided good explanation.

Confused

Why $3000? I thought it's only $675

Am I missing something?

Thanks again.
Kaatupaadi, my primary concern is not spending $3000. I just mentioned it.

Kulfi, to clarify, this includes the cost of air ticket to/from India, living expenses for 3-4 months , cost of passport, visa processing , etc. Not lawyer fees.