Real ID Act is expected to become law next month

Big deal!

As a corporate lawyer on K Street in an international law firm that has a premier government affairs practice, I work with a number of Republican colleagues who are lobbyists and deal regularly with actors on Capitol Hill. I had numerous opportunities to discuss the harsh consequences subscribed by the REAL ID Act and a number of my colleagues express their strong reservations about its unfunded mandates on the various states as well as its egregious interference with the judicial process.

In short, even amongst the many native-born Republicans, I have not seen the level of vindictiveness and myopia you exhibit. Like the many of us in this Forum, you do not even pretend to support the bill for the sake of the cap removal but MAINLY for its harsh treatment of foreigners. I am afraid you suffer from a visceral fear of being deemed the "foreigner" in your daily affairs and your measurement of self-worth is based on how mean you are to other foreigners. If you lived in different times and places, you will have been one of the Poles who turned over the Jews to the Third Reich, the Hutus who bludgeoned Tutsis with machetes and the Southern mobs who lynched blacks in this country.

I feel sorry for you - you really are one miserable creature!

hampton8844 said:
NOT a senator, but a few staff members. Refer to my old posts, I work at a political consulting firm on K street. So knowing a few people on capitol hill should not come as a surprise. part of my daily job.

so much anger here. relax people, it is only on Earth that we all are. being in political asylum in the US is far from the worst things that can happen to a human. I am glad the cap removal is here and I hoep it does pass. If real id act is to be harsh on future asylum seekers there will be, perhaps some of us, who in the future will fight for their rights.

You are a real miserable creature who indulges in personal attacks. People like you are giving a bad name to the legal profession, to the detriment of other noble members of that noble profession.

TortFeasor said:
As a corporate lawyer on K Street in an international law firm that has a premier government affairs practice, I work with a number of Republican colleagues who are lobbyists and deal regularly with actors on Capitol Hill. I had numerous opportunities to discuss the harsh consequences subscribed by the REAL ID Act and a number of my colleagues express their strong reservations about its unfunded mandates on the various states as well as its egregious interference with the judicial process.

In short, even amongst the many native-born Republicans, I have not seen the level of vindictiveness and myopia you exhibit. Like the many of us in this Forum, you do not even pretend to support the bill for the sake of the cap removal but MAINLY for its harsh treatment of foreigners. I am afraid you suffer from a visceral fear of being deemed the "foreigner" in your daily affairs and your measurement of self-worth is based on how mean you are to other foreigners. If you lived in different times and places, you will have been one of the Poles who turned over the Jews to the Third Reich, the Hutus who bludgeoned Tutsis with machetes and the Southern mobs who lynched blacks in this country.

TortFeasor said:

Hey "miserable creature" can you ask to your Republican colleagues if the cap removal is still in the bill? :rolleyes:

Yes it is

The cap removal is in the House version of the supplemental bill. If the Conference accepts to adopt the READ ID Act, it will be in the final consolidated bill.

Cl_Asylee said:
Hey "miserable creature" can you ask to your Republican colleagues if the cap removal is still in the bill? :rolleyes:

The "lifeline phone call" test

When you fail to prevail in the marketplace of free and open ideas and the truth is exposed, then you revert to blame others of "personal attacks." Is not that the same story we hear these days from Tom Delay? I was attempting to show the internal conflicts you face that may have laid the foundation for your rather extraordinary positions. This is not an ad hominem attack.

Of course blaming lawyers and judges for standing for the rights of minorities and individuals has always been the fashionable thing to do. Again, may I say, similar patterns with your mentor, Tom Delay?

At the end of the day, given only a chance to make one phone call, will a helpless would be asylee or an immigrant caught in the INS's quagmire call you or me for help in navigating the system and giving him/her the benefit of the doubt?

hampton8844 said:
You are a real miserable creature who indulges in personal attacks. People like you are giving a bad name to the legal profession, to the detriment of other noble members of that noble profession.

All I want to say is that not even senior partners-shareholders at Greenberg Traurig LLP (or for the matter even at Covington & Burling or Latham & Watkins) are as pretentious as you are. I visit the G & T office at least once weekly and I do lunch with G & T people pretty often.

TortFeasor said:
When you fail to prevail in the marketplace of free and open ideas and the truth is exposed, then you revert to blame others of "personal attacks." Is not that the same story we hear these days from Tom Delay? I was attempting to show the internal conflicts you face that may have laid the foundation for your rather extraordinary positions. This is not an ad hominem attack.

Of course blaming lawyers and judges for standing for the rights of minorities and individuals has always been the fashionable thing to do. Again, may I say, similar patterns with your mentor, Tom Delay?

At the end of the day, given only a chance to make one phone call, will a helpless would be asylee or an immigrant caught in the INS's quagmire call you or me for help in navigating the system and giving him/her the benefit of the doubt?

can we get along?

or at least, treat each other with respect when we disagree? I know it is hard, and I am far from perfect; however, I try to be respectful ...

ayyubov said:
TortFeasor - Get Lost. a lawyer?!?! hmmm. An asshole - thats a good one, not a lawyer...

What are you talking about here??? You seems to jump everywhere...that's insane!!!

Why do not you pay me a visit?

Am I supposed to be scared with this? Why do not you pay me a visit genius. Or else, report me to Herr Ashcroft - I am sure that fits well with your pattern. I am open because I stand by what I say in or outside the Forum.

hampton8844 said:
All I want to say is that not even senior partners-shareholders at Greenberg Traurig LLP (or for the matter even at Covington & Burling or Latham & Watkins) are as pretentious as you are. I visit the G & T office at least once weekly and I do lunch with G & T people pretty often.

Calm down guys..lets calm down!!...GET AWAY From the mouse..the last thing we want to do is hurt the silly mouse...

Here is my situation.

Here is my situation:

Entered US as an F1 student: 08/1991
Applied asylum:04/1993
Granted aslyum:06/2000 (7 years of pending)
Applied PR:06/2001
FingerPrint:09/2004

I have been living and working in US for almost 14 years. As an IT professional I have been paying tax since 1995.

What political rights do I have? How long will I have to wait?

go2bk said:
Tightening up the asylum law and lifting the cap are very contradictory actions. I wouldn't expect congress to vote for such a "paradoxical" bill. I would assume they would exculde the latter from the bill. I am not trying to be "devil advocate". I would be the first person to jump 10 feet high if they lift the cap, but I know by instinct that this won't happen.

Wow!!!

hampton8844 said:

WOW!!! visit the G & T office at least once weekly and do lunch with G & T people pretty often. I'm impressed, and everybody in the forum should be.

You're important!!! That's may be why you treat other asylees like crap.
You have the right to do it because you're a celebrity WOW!!

Another update, it seems that today is the day.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/10391100p-11193634c.html

Drivers license bill likely to pass

By Michael Doyle / Bee Washington Bureau

(Updated Thursday, April 28, 2005, 5:49 AM)

WASHINGTON — Legislation deterring illegal immigrants from obtaining drivers licenses now gets a green light, as congressional negotiators appear set to provide the final sign-off today.

With the Senate's top Democrat conceding the measure is inevitable, and the White House offering its timely support, the hot-button drivers license bill is all but across the finish line.

It's scheduled to be finished by today, along with several other immigration provisions attached to an Iraq spending bill.

"It was an easy, not a difficult matter," California Republican Jerry Lewis, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, said Wednesday. "There's a great urgency, and both houses have expressed that urgency."

Opponents feel a different kind of pressure. "It's a radically bad bill that will have radically bad consequences," said Judith Golub, spokeswoman for the American Immigration Lawyers Association. "We're going to keep fighting it."

Negotiators were still combing through the language late Wednesday, and the final technical details remained a work in progress prior to this afternoon's session.

Overall, the legislation initially approved by the House sets the first-ever national standards for drivers licenses. Notably, these include a requirement that states verify the license applicant is a legal U.S. resident. Licenses from states that refuse to follow this standard couldn't be used for federal identification purposes; for instance, in boarding airplanes.

Nine states currently permit illegal immigrants to obtain drivers licenses. California briefly did as well, under a bill signed by then-Gov. Gray Davis in 2003, but that provision was quickly revoked under pressure by Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Democratic state Sen. Gil Cedillo of Los Angeles has subsequently tried to revive the drivers license effort with new state legislation, but the congressional bill sidetracks that idea.

"It does pre-empt the push," Cedillo spokesman Edward Headington acknowledged Wednesday.

More broadly, the Iraq spending bill provisions being finalized would make it harder for asylum applicants to prove they qualify for protection in the United States. Asylum applicants, who totaled 46,272 in 2003, would have to provide more evidence that they faced persecution, and they could be more easily rejected if the asylum judge questioned their "demeanor" or "responsiveness."

Nearly one in three of the asylum applicants nationwide apply through San Francisco or Los Angeles, and California is home to the largest number of asylum seekers.

The bill also clears away potential environmental obstacles to completing a fence along the border between San Diego and Mexico.

Collectively, the provisions are known as the REAL ID package.

Lewis said it will essentially "come in its entirety" into the larger Iraq spending bill.

"Originally, I thought the greatest difficulty we would have would be with immigration," Lewis acknowledged.

Standing on their own, the immigration provisions incite considerable controversy. But because the House attached them to an $81billion bill funding U.S. efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, they are passengers on a fast-moving vehicle.

The meeting late Wednesday afternoon between 19 House members and 28 senators was the first formal session for negotiating the final version of the Iraq bill. The course of events was already clear, though, as Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had already acknowledged the likely outcome for the immigration provisions.

"They're going to do it," Reid said Monday, undercutting the hopes of senators who wanted to fight the immigration provisions.

"It's only a question of when."

The White House further nailed down the deal Tuesday, when the Office of Management and Budget issued a statement reiterating its support for the immigration measures. That high-level backing helped cinch the deal, Lewis said.

Excellent news on the assumption that they are going to retain the provision relating to the asylee cap. All asylees could be eligible for immediate adjustment (or at least as fast as the DHS can process their files).

Great news.

amtbooks said:
Another update, it seems that today is the day.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/10391100p-11193634c.html

Drivers license bill likely to pass

By Michael Doyle / Bee Washington Bureau

(Updated Thursday, April 28, 2005, 5:49 AM)

WASHINGTON — Legislation deterring illegal immigrants from obtaining drivers licenses now gets a green light, as congressional negotiators appear set to provide the final sign-off today.

With the Senate's top Democrat conceding the measure is inevitable, and the White House offering its timely support, the hot-button drivers license bill is all but across the finish line.

It's scheduled to be finished by today, along with several other immigration provisions attached to an Iraq spending bill.

"It was an easy, not a difficult matter," California Republican Jerry Lewis, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, said Wednesday. "There's a great urgency, and both houses have expressed that urgency."

Opponents feel a different kind of pressure. "It's a radically bad bill that will have radically bad consequences," said Judith Golub, spokeswoman for the American Immigration Lawyers Association. "We're going to keep fighting it."

Negotiators were still combing through the language late Wednesday, and the final technical details remained a work in progress prior to this afternoon's session.

Overall, the legislation initially approved by the House sets the first-ever national standards for drivers licenses. Notably, these include a requirement that states verify the license applicant is a legal U.S. resident. Licenses from states that refuse to follow this standard couldn't be used for federal identification purposes; for instance, in boarding airplanes.

Nine states currently permit illegal immigrants to obtain drivers licenses. California briefly did as well, under a bill signed by then-Gov. Gray Davis in 2003, but that provision was quickly revoked under pressure by Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Democratic state Sen. Gil Cedillo of Los Angeles has subsequently tried to revive the drivers license effort with new state legislation, but the congressional bill sidetracks that idea.

"It does pre-empt the push," Cedillo spokesman Edward Headington acknowledged Wednesday.

More broadly, the Iraq spending bill provisions being finalized would make it harder for asylum applicants to prove they qualify for protection in the United States. Asylum applicants, who totaled 46,272 in 2003, would have to provide more evidence that they faced persecution, and they could be more easily rejected if the asylum judge questioned their "demeanor" or "responsiveness."

Nearly one in three of the asylum applicants nationwide apply through San Francisco or Los Angeles, and California is home to the largest number of asylum seekers.

The bill also clears away potential environmental obstacles to completing a fence along the border between San Diego and Mexico.

Collectively, the provisions are known as the REAL ID package.

Lewis said it will essentially "come in its entirety" into the larger Iraq spending bill.

"Originally, I thought the greatest difficulty we would have would be with immigration," Lewis acknowledged.

Standing on their own, the immigration provisions incite considerable controversy. But because the House attached them to an $81billion bill funding U.S. efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan, they are passengers on a fast-moving vehicle.

The meeting late Wednesday afternoon between 19 House members and 28 senators was the first formal session for negotiating the final version of the Iraq bill. The course of events was already clear, though, as Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., had already acknowledged the likely outcome for the immigration provisions.

"They're going to do it," Reid said Monday, undercutting the hopes of senators who wanted to fight the immigration provisions.

"It's only a question of when."

The White House further nailed down the deal Tuesday, when the Office of Management and Budget issued a statement reiterating its support for the immigration measures. That high-level backing helped cinch the deal, Lewis said.