Re: Registered Marijuana user in California - Is it a problem?

Well I believe you are wrong about whether the USCIS is concerned about you using marijuana. It very clearly says if the officer even has a reason to believe you are habitual user or addict of drugs or even alcohol they can make you inadmissible:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/i601_immigrant_waivers_8jun09.pdf

or

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...ict&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Also if you have more than one drug related conviction they can move to deport by "having reason to believe you are a drug trafficker". That is an aggravated felony. They don't even have to show proof, but they can just have reason to believe.

Frankly, the medical use of marijuana is not for aliens if they expect to stay resident in the US. Only citizens can consider such treatment options. I would ask your doctor for alternatives.

I don't think you read what I wrote, where I clearly stated that aliens should not use marijuana in the USA for any reason, and stated that a possession conviction is deportable, and furthermore than any marijuana use can have serious consequences. Here I was responding to a question about USCIS blood-testing someone coming in on a flight from the Netherlands. Have you ever heard of USCIS doing a blood test? No, you haven't. They rely on interviews and law enforcement records. They are not going to make you pee in a cup.

Under the document you cite, an individual is only inadmissible for as long as they are abusing or addicted to drugs or alcohol. There is no medical consensus that marijuana is "addictive" at all in the way that alcohol or cigarettes are. Certainly it is possible to be a habitual user. However if someone has no convictions, is not using at all at present, and has never used in the United States, but has simply smoked a lot of pot in a foreign country, I find it difficult to see how that would get some excluded from the United States, unless they were stupid about it and brought it up and framed it the wrong way. This would not be the case with hard drugs or even alcohol where someone might be sober at present but could not honestly say that they aren't addicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you read what I wrote, where I clearly stated that aliens should not use marijuana in the USA for any reason, and stated that a possession conviction is deportable, and furthermore than any marijuana use can have serious consequences. Here I was responding to a question about USCIS blood-testing someone coming in on a flight from the Netherlands. Have you ever heard of USCIS doing a blood test? No, you haven't. They rely on interviews and law enforcement records. They are not going to make you pee in a cup.

Under the document you cite, an individual is only inadmissible for as long as they are abusing or addicted to drugs or alcohol. There is no medical consensus that marijuana is "addictive" at all in the way that alcohol or cigarettes are. Certainly it is possible to be a habitual user. However if someone has no convictions, is not using at all at present, and has never used in the United States, but has simply smoked a lot of pot in a foreign country, I find it difficult to see how that would get some excluded from the United States, unless they were stupid about it and brought it up and framed it the wrong way. This would not be the case with hard drugs or even alcohol where someone might be sober at present but could not honestly say that they aren't addicted.

I remember seeing a worksheet with criteria for deportation posted on this forum, but can't find it right now. It specifically stated that a single charge of simple possession (under 30 grams) of marijuana is not a CIMT and is not a deportable offense.

I've also heard stories that travelers arriving in the U.S. with a Netherlands stamp in their passport are put on a special interest list by the CBP and are subjected to secondary inspections more often. It sounds like another conspiracy theory, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.