RE: H-1B, 1yr remaining, apply for labor in Jan 2010, want to change to F-1

debanjali09

Hi Mr Khanna:
Thank you very much for your time. I have this conundrum and was hoping to get some advice from you. My H-1B visa (full 6 years), expires in January 2010. My labor will be filed in January 2009. I would like to go back to school full time in Fall 2009 (MS). My understanding is that this is possible if I-140 has not been filed. I would have about 5 months of H-1B time remaining if I start on F-1 in August 2009. After I graduate, start a new job on a new one year OPT, would that be enough time to start a new GC processing without having to go back home for a year? FYI, my new job would be on a completely different field from what i am working on right now. Would i be able to use the priority date from this labor toward the next one?
Your input would mean a lot to me
Debanjali

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi nscagony:
My country of birth is India and I-140 category is EB2.
Pls advise on what would be the best route to take?
Thanks

Let us take this up in the conference call on Thursday. I will answer this question first. Try to post this in the conference call questions. If you are unable to, just email the question to me Thursday morning. You have my email.

I have a similar situation, kindly point me to the right place.

I am presently on H1B (6th year ends on Aug 10 2010), considering an F-1 status (full time) around Aug 2010. To become eligible for H1B after OPT (around 2013), do I have to "reset" my H1B clock by leaving the US for a year? While being on F1, if I take a break from studies and leave the US for a year, will that reset the clock for H1B?

Thanks in advance!