• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Re-Entry without Permit after initial entry

BillGeek

Hey everyone!

I know this has been asked countless times and answered but I still don't know what the right answer is... :(

We applied for DV2016 and will find out next week whether we've made it into the program or not, and if all goes well and we receive our Visas I need to understand what the process is of going about finalizing our matters here in SA.

I read on the eDV site that the expiry for the Visa is six months or expiry date of the medical examination records, whichever comes first. I also read that we can enter the US then leave again for up to a year (12 months) without a re-entry permit.

If we go to the US for two weeks just to enter the country with our Visa's then come back to South Africa to sell houses, cars, resign from jobs, etc... and return within the 12 month period, what document do we provide to the customs / immigration control officers to allow us back into the country to start our permanent stay? Will they see the expired Visa and then calculate the date thereof or how does it work?

I read that the actual Green Card document needs to be applied for and will be posted to an address in the U.S., but we won't have a U.S. address at that stage... (I don't even know if this is correct)

Am I just over thinking this whole thing? o_O

Thanks for anyone willing to provide assistance!!

Hey everyone!
If we go to the US for two weeks just to enter the country with our Visa's then come back to South Africa to sell houses, cars, resign from jobs, etc... and return within the 12 month period, what document do we provide to the customs / immigration control officers to allow us back into the country to start our permanent stay? Will they see the expired Visa and then calculate the date thereof or how does it work?

I read that the actual Green Card document needs to be applied for and will be posted to an address in the U.S., but we won't have a U.S. address at that stage... (I don't even know if this is correct)

You are correct in your understandings as far as they go. Once you have activated your GC by entering US, your GC will be issued within a few weeks and posted to the US address that you put on your DS260, or the one that you tell the officer at the POE. If you don't have a US address, what did you put down on your form??
They won't post it out side of US, not even to a US Embassy (unlike a white passport). It doesn't have to be your residential address, it could be a friend or relative, or someone who you trust to receive and forward it on to you.

You are correct in your understandings as far as they go. Once you have activated your GC by entering US, your GC will be issued within a few weeks and posted to the US address that you put on your DS260, or the one that you tell the officer at the POE. If you don't have a US address, what did you put down on your form??
They won't post it out side of US, not even to a US Embassy (unlike a white passport). It doesn't have to be your residential address, it could be a friend or relative, or someone who you trust to receive and forward it on to you.
He's not selected yet. He's waiting to be selected for DV2016.

Hey everyone!

I know this has been asked countless times and answered but I still don't know what the right answer is... :(

We applied for DV2016 and will find out next week whether we've made it into the program or not, and if all goes well and we receive our Visas I need to understand what the process is of going about finalizing our matters here in SA.

I read on the eDV site that the expiry for the Visa is six months or expiry date of the medical examination records, whichever comes first. I also read that we can enter the US then leave again for up to a year (12 months) without a re-entry permit.

Welcome to the club!
There are several 2016 threads out there dedicated to the most pressing issues of the potential selectees.
We always welcome optimistic and forethoughtful individuals like yourself.

Hahahah, forum are full of people who think themselves are winners, this year is a weird year! All people on here think themselves are winners hehehe, personally after 11th attempt i dont think i will win! Hehhe

Hey everyone!

So yes as you see from the responses above you are overthinking things, because as an entrant you have about a 1 in 100 chance of being selected, and months to wait after the win if you were selected.

However, short answer. The temporary visa that allows the first entry is "endorsed" upon entry. That then is all they need to see for up to 12 months and allows the time needed to receive your GC.

Good luck in the draw.

Hahahah, forum are full of people who think themselves are winners, this year is a weird year! All people on here think themselves are winners hehehe, personally after 11th attempt i dont think i will win! Hehhe
You lose nothing by hanging on!
keep at it till it happens and We wish you all the best!

You lose nothing by hanging on!
keep at it till it happens and We wish you all the best!
Thank you for standing by myside! But its good to stand by reality! And to know that its lottery. And to know its luck! So i accept my luck wether it is good or bad! Thats the game! U have to live it for the max, enjoy it , enjoy the excitment, enjoy every second of waiting, once it happens it never comes back, u live today, maybe u dont tomorrow!

Yes, sir. This is our bread and butter in the 2016-2017 threads.
Join us, and we will walk you through your payout options, tax consequences and much more.
Man u make me laugh! But ur right! People started yo talk abt there taxes and abt when they can leave the country, huh? And abt, the credit card payment and electricity, and the price of cars abd what if they go first alone to rent a house and then take family! Dream its not wrong to dream i always do this but before i go to sleep and when i wakeup i remove my dreams and keep them on the pillow, and live the real life! So plz live it