re-entry permit

sirisha2009

Does N470 break my continous residency

I have a question about my qualification for the Naturalization, and would appreciate anyone’s help.
I got my green card on July, 2004.
I applied N470 and left US on March 2006. The permit allows me to stay outside US for 2 years. I came back on Jan 2008, and stayed since. One attorney told me that I have to stay another 4 years to apply for citizenship since I applied N470. All the time that I spent in US before March 2006 should not be counted. Is he right? Should it (July 2004-March 2006) be included as my stay in US?

Thanks for help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say he is right. You stayed out of the country for more than 6 months, so you broke your continuous residency.

I thought I had applied N470, therefore, the time before I got my permit should be counted. Those two years..
Thank you, bggirl.

Have you applied to preserve your residency using N470? (that is different from the re-entry permit you mentioned) If you did, then you should be able to count the time before you left the States. Did you leave because of employment abroad? Was your N470 approved?

4 years + 1 day!!!!

I thought I had applied N470, therefore, the time before I got my permit should be counted. Those two years..
Thank you, bggirl.

Make sure you apply after 4 years + 1 day after the last trip that broke your continuous residence( 4years + 7-10 days to be safe). Anything before 4years +1 day would be a definite denial.

I have a question about my qualification for the Naturalization, and would appreciate anyone’s help.
I got my green card on July, 2004.
I applied N470 and left US on March 2006. The permit allows me to stay outside US for 2 years. I came back on Jan 2008, and stayed since. One attorney told me that I have to stay another 4 years to apply for citizenship since I applied N470. All the time that I spent in US before March 2006 should not be counted. Is he right? Should it (July 2004-March 2006) be included as my stay in US?

Thanks for help!

Assuming your N-470 was approved, the time spent aborad counts toward your continuous residence quota (5 years to become eligible for Natz). Time spent before N470 in the US should count as well unless you made trips of 1 year or more. (trips lasting between 6 months and a year are not an immediate disqualification if you had a valid reason for being overseas for that long)

Your N470 approval letter should also state if physical presence is preserved as well. I doubt this would be true assuming you don't work for the US military.

Good Luck!

I applied N470 and left US on March 2006. The permit allows me to stay outside US for 2 years.
N-470 is not a reentry permit.
I came back on Jan 2008, and stayed since. One attorney told me that I have to stay another 4 years to apply for citizenship since I applied N470.
The attorney must have meant that you need to stay another 4 years (plus 1 day) because you did NOT apply for the N-470 ... what you applied for was a reentry permit.

The OPs original post stated reentry permit, but later changed it to N-470. The OP needs to clarify which one it was :reentry permit or N-470.