Re-Entry Permit or RTD?

sbernal

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I'm new here so if this question has been answered before please point me to the thread. As I mentioned before I have obtained my green card through Asylum adjustment. In the I-131 Application for RTD there is a note that reads:
NOTICE to permanent residents who obtain permanent
residence as a result of their refugee or asylee status: If
you do not obtain a reentry permit and remain outside the
United States for one year or more, it may be determined
that you have abandoned your permanent resident status.

So my question is: has anyone or does anyone know of someone who is in the same situation as me, ever applied for a Re-entry permit instead of an RTD and used it without any problems??

what are yuo saying

If you have a GREEN CARD so what in the world do you need a refugee travel document or re-entry permit for??

The RTD is only needed under asylee status or when your green card was still pending and you needed to travel

shefe said:
If you have a GREEN CARD so what in the world do you need a refugee travel document or re-entry permit for??

The RTD is only needed under asylee status or when your green card was still pending and you needed to travel

Most countries in the world require a passport when you visit. As asylees (and that include green card holders) are not supposed to have national passports, they use RTD or RP for this purpose.

RTD and Rentry Permit are the same documents with different heading inside. Reentry permit is valid for 2 years while RTD is valid for 1 year. If you need to stay outside U.S for more than 6 months..get a Rentry Permit..If you need to travel for few weeks.you can get a RTD.

Advantage??...RTD doesn't require visa for Germany/Ireland..Rentry permit requires a visa from every country I believe.

The choice is yours. GET rentry permit because its valid for 2 years...

Confused

Now i am really confused are you saying regardless of your GREEN CARD you still need a travel document like reentry permit or RTD to travel to another country......

someone please explain all this to me.. the original question was that the person has a GREEN CARD..

shefe said:
Now i am really confused are you saying regardless of your GREEN CARD you still need a travel document like reentry permit or RTD to travel to another country......

someone please explain all this to me.. the original question was that the person has a GREEN CARD..

When you visit a foreign country as a tourist, that country almost always requires you to show them a travel document such as a national passport. A green card is not sufficient for admission. You cannot stamp visas on a green card, right? Canada is an exception to this rule. But this might be phased out due to security concerns.

However, the vast majority of refugees and asylees are not willing/able to obtain passports from the very governments that allegedly persecuted them.
This is one reason that the US government created the Refugee Travel Document and RP.

Clear now

Ok now i understand..

so for folks with asylee HOLDER they get REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT..
so folks with green card HOLDER thru asylum/refugee they get to choose from RE-ENTRY PERMIT or REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
shefe said:
Ok now i understand..

so folks with green card HOLDER thru asylum/refugee they get to choose from RE-ENTRY PERMIT or REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT.

I'm not sure if you really have a CHOISE; because form I-131 lists "asylee" and "permanent resident adjusting from asylum" as a single category. They both get RTD.

shefe said:
Ok now i understand..

Corret!!!!! :) :) :)

thankful said:
Most countries in the world require a passport when you visit. As asylees (and that include green card holders) are not supposed to have national passports, they use RTD or RP for this purpose.

Asylees or refugees can use their passport until it's expired. They are not suppose to renew it. thats different. RTD has two main purposes one of which is mandatory (to reenter US soil). Second purpose is VISAS. But u still can use ur NP (unless it's expired) for that purpose.