"Re-entry Permit" or "Refugee Travel Document" for Green Card holder based on Approved Asylum?

oliver_68

Hello my friends,

I have a green card based on approved asylum, I got my green card two months ago. If I want to travel outside US (of course not to the country of persecutions), is it better to apply for "Re-entry Permit (REP)" or for "Refugee Travel Document (RTD)"? I know the RTD is valid for one year, while the REP is valid for two years. Do you think applying for REP may indicate that I am planning to live outside the US for over a year? You know, REP is required if you want to stay over a year outside the US. Also, if I want to travel to Europe, which I need a VISA to visit any country there, does it make a difference if you have REP compared to RTD? In other words, are these travel documents different from each other aside from the validity date? Is it indicated in the document whether its RTD or REP? I am confused and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Also, if you have pictures for both documents that will be great.

Thanks!

the difference is that REP is accepted by fewer countries comparing to RTD that's the reason some asylees/refugees prefer to apply for RTD.