Re-entry permit Form I-131

MonFD

Hello,

I got my green card in April 2018 with DV lottery and I been living in USA since July 2018. Now I got accepted for a masters degree in London, UK. It's a 1 year and 3 months program(courses plus a 6 months internship). I am suppose to start this September. Can I apply for re-entry permit using form I-131?

In the I-131 form I found this statement, however when I look at N-470 is doesn't seem to apply to my case.
"An absence from the United States for 1 year or more will generally break the continuity of your required continuous residence for the purpose of naturalization. If you intend to remain outside the United States for 1 year or more, you may be eligible to file Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes. For further information, contact your local USCIS office."

Can you please advice?

Thank you for your time!

Monica

Yes, you can apply for a re-entry permit.

N-470 probably doesn't apply to you as those are only for people working abroad for certain US organizations. So your continuous residence for naturalization will be interrupted. But that is a separate issue from you being able to re-enter as a permanent resident.

Yes, you can apply for a re-entry permit.

N-470 probably doesn't apply to you as those are only for people working abroad for certain US organizations. So your continuous residence for naturalization will be interrupted. But that is a separate issue from you being able to re-enter as a permanent resident.
Thanks for your reply. Can I travel outside of US while the re-entry form is being processed? I am only going on a 10 days vacation to Canada.

Thanks again!!

You can start your degree in the UK while the RP is being processed. On the form, you can indicate that you want them to send the permit to the embassy in London. You can also try to re-enter the US before you are out for six full months, or if not possible, before you are out for one full year, even if you have an RP. You might then still be able to claim continuous presence for naturalisation purposes (not guaranteed, but possible).

Thank you for the information!
Will I be able to go back and forth between usa and uk during the 1 year and 3 months that I will be away, using this re-entry permit? Or they will take away the re-entry permit from me at the boarder as soon I as I try to use it once to re-entry USA?
Thank you!!

Yup you can go back and forth as much as you like. If you do, you will probably never have to show the permit to anyone.

Yes, my SO traveled back and forth to the US while still having a re-entry permit. I think he produced it at times and for some trips wasn't asked/stamped on the REP. We also had our REPs mailed to a friend since we were on vacation and picked it up later.