Re-entry permit for parents

purvesh

Registered Users (C)
I am applying for a reentry permit for my parents. In one of the section of I-131 form they asked for Purpose of trip.

Any suggestions on answer for this question? I am not sure what should I enter.

At present my parents are in US. They are permanent resident. The only reason I am applying for the reentry permit is they don't want to come every year to keep their green card. I am applying the permit for the first time.

I will really appreciate your help.

If they're not going to live primarily in the US, they should surrender their green cards and get a tourist visa.

You can put down that they need to take care of personal matters abroad.

You should know, though, that applying for a re-entry permit is not something that can be done over and over again for as long as one wants. Eventually they will issue one with a shorter validity, and then they might reject your application. And, with very little time in the country, your parents won't be able to apply for citizenship. They can also be hassled at the border in-spite of having a re-entry permit. They must still maintain ties to the US.

So, ask yourself, and them, if it's all worth it. If they intend to settle in the US in the near future, go for the re-entry permit, maybe even a couple of times. If they don't, they can surrender their GCs and get B2 visas.