• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Re-entry after GC

raffanti

Registered Users (C)
Just a quickie,
Could anyone enlighten me. How often and for how long after obtaining the GC, can I leave the country on holiday or return to original place of residence without jeopardizing my application for citizenship.

Many thanks

Just a quickie,
Could anyone enlighten me. How often and for how long after obtaining the GC, can I leave the country on holiday or return to original place of residence without jeopardizing my application for citizenship.

Many thanks

This has been answered several times.Do not stay outside of America for morethan 6months.If you do, you may require re-entry permit.

Why do you want to leave for such a long time...Don't you like to live in the country after winning the GC? I have heard on another forum that staying out of the country for longer than 6 months can be done, but you also can get an issue on re entry if you don't have the permit...it is all up to the customs employee and what mood the person is in....

You need to pay taxes in the US and have a perminent address...as far as I'm aware ....it is a perminent residence card not like you spend more time away than over here, but you are free to enter and leave as long as you aren't showing anything like staying away more.

Why do you want to leave for such a long time...Don't you like to live in the country after winning the GC? I have heard on another forum that staying out of the country for longer than 6 months can be done, but you also can get an issue on re entry if you don't have the permit...it is all up to the customs employee and what mood the person is in....

You need to pay taxes in the US and have a perminent address...as far as I'm aware ....it is a perminent residence card not like you spend more time away than over here, but you are free to enter and leave as long as you aren't showing anything like staying away more.

My understanding is that for periods out of the country of more than 6 months you should expect some more questions about what you have been doing, but nothing worse than that. To have a problem for periods of less than 1 year the immigration officer would have to believe you intended to abandon your visa, which would be a very hard thing for them to be sure of.

You do have to keep filling in tax returns but you don't necessarily have to pay taxes, it depends on the amount you have earned and what sort of reciprocal tax agreement the US has with the other country.

I think with the permanent address, you don't "need" to have one, but having one is a very good way of showing that you had no intention of abandoning your permanent residency. The same thing goes for maintaining bank accounts, filling in tax returns, having a job to return to etc. It will all help establish your intentions, but only the tax returns are compulsory.

I can also think of a few reasons why somebody might need to be away for a while. Maybe a family member overseas gets sick and you need to go care for them. Maybe your US company wants to send you overseas to do some work for a while. Maybe you are an academic and have a sabbatical in another country...

I understand what you are saying and the reasons why, but the OP is stating "how long after entering and how often"....she/he can leave the counry...that doens't sound like a happy GC holder who wants to live here permanently like a GC is made for.

Good point.

I just looked at the original post again and realised I actually misread the question. I thought it was asking when they would jeopardise their permanent residency but I see they were actually asking when they would jeopardise their application for citizenship.

So to answer that question, if you are away for more than 1 year without a reentry permit you lose it completely (along with your permanent residency). If you are away for more than 6 months, then your 5 year residency requirement gets reset and starts again when you reenter the country.

thanks, seen the link.But is that also applicable to those with citizenship after five years of PR?

No. That only applies to permanent residents. Once a person actually becomes a citizen they can come and go as often and for as long as they like (but they should still file tax returns to make sure they don't have any legal problems when they return).

I understand what you are saying and the reasons why, but the OP is stating "how long after entering and how often"....she/he can leave the counry...that doens't sound like a happy GC holder who wants to live here permanently like a GC is made for.

Please don't make assumptions. I am extremely happy here but as I travel regulary to take care of other matters abroad I do not wish to jepodise my happy and comfortable life here. Thus my enquires as above.:)

Thanks guys for your response, I feel much clearer now as I was concerned that multiple trips aboard (and most are for a vacation as I am retired) may jeopardize my application (in years to come) for citizenship. Have I read this correctly ie cumulative periods during the year is not applicable?
As I have buisness abroad it is a fact that taxes has to be filed in the US and as the country I'm from has a recipricol arrangement with the US ( I also file taxes over there) very little is paid here. Thanks Marc

Thanks guys and good luck with your application, anyone requiring info re my experiences, please just ask.