Re-Entering The USA

LittleBoyBlue

Registered Users (C)
Hi have a few question but here is my situation first i live mexico now but i use to live in the u s about 7yrs ago. When i was there i got into trouble with the law nothing big i just caught with less than a gram of marijuana, when i got arrested they oredered me to do community service and a drug class and told me upon completion the charges will be erased. A year after the my arrest I managed to leave the country without triggering the ban and now several years later i have my fiance filing for me, my petiton was approved so far. Question 1 Would that arrest avoid me from getting my fiance greencard 2 If theres is some problem would i be able to qualify for some kind waiver 3 Would that even come up on the background check please all your replies are appreciated....

Was your arrest more than 5 years ago? If it was then that helps a lot. It also helps that you got caught with less than 30 grams of marijuana. And yes the arrest will come up on a background check because I'm sure they check with the FBI, DEA etc as a matter of routine and there might be something with the DEA even with this small quantity. But besides that the thing is when they say they "erase" your record they don't. They seal the records even if it's a juvinile record so most searches such as employment based ones of public records do not come up with the arrests but you still have to mention it on the application. Yes of course there is a waiver for this.

Thats good news praxx thanks but what would be the best move for me to make im already approved for the i 130 as i mention before. My other question is they wont try to ban me knowing that i got arrested and went back home without the ban triggering and as far as the waiver how does it really work??

Well your first step should be to get into the US somehow. But what exactly was this ban that you managed to not trigger? Also...how did you first enter the US and do you have any kind of multiple entry visa that could get you through into the US without being banned right now?

The reason I am asking this is because it's best to be inside the US when you are going to be in trouble with CIS...because then you have access to BIA and the other US appeals court. From a consulate you don't have any of that. You need to figure out the best way of getting inside the US...even as a nonimmigrant? I'm not sure if in a non-immigrant visa you have to declare CMTs etc but maybe you don't? Anyway you should research on this but it's critical to make sure you get INSIDE the US asap to get access to the appeals mechanism in case there is an initial rejection. Lot's of difficult decisions you have to make.

Well your first step should be to get into the US somehow. But what exactly was this ban that you managed to not trigger? Also...how did you first enter the US and do you have any kind of multiple entry visa that could get you through into the US without being banned right now?

The reason I am asking this is because it's best to be inside the US when you are going to be in trouble with CIS...because then you have access to BIA and the other US appeals court. From a consulate you don't have any of that. You need to figure out the best way of getting inside the US...even as a nonimmigrant? I'm not sure if in a non-immigrant visa you have to declare CMTs etc but maybe you don't? Anyway you should research on this but it's critical to make sure you get INSIDE the US asap to get access to the appeals mechanism in case there is an initial rejection. Lot's of difficult decisions you have to make.

My God! Shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about. It is a very minor problem, that is easy to overcome with a waiver.

INA 212 [Substitute Secretary of Homeland Security for Attorney General]

(h) Waiver of subsection (a)(2)(A)(i) (I), (II), (B), (D), and (E)

The Attorney General may, in his discretion, waive the application
of subparagraphs (A)(i)(I), (B), (D), and (E) of subsection (a)(2) of
this section and subparagraph (A)(i)(II) of such subsection insofar as [This describes you.]
it relates to a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less
of marijuana if--

(1) (A) in the case of any immigrant it is established to the
satisfaction of the Attorney General that--
(i) the alien is inadmissible only under subparagraph (D)(i)
or (D)(ii) of such subsection or the activities for which the
alien is inadmissible occurred more than 15 years before the
date of the alien's application for a visa, admission, or
adjustment of status,
(ii) the admission to the United States of such alien would
not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security of [(ii) and (ii) apply to you.]
the United States, and
(iii) the alien has been rehabilitated
; or

(B) in the case of an immigrant who is the spouse, parent, son,
or daughter of a citizen of the United States
or an alien lawfully
admitted for permanent residence if it is established to the [This probably applies if you are deemed to have Unlawful Presence.]
satisfaction of the Attorney General that the alien's denial of
admission would result in extreme hardship to the United States
citizen or lawfully resident spouse, parent, son, or daughter of
such alien
; or

(C) the alien is a VAWA self-petitioner; and [Irrelevant]

(2) the Attorney General, in his discretion, and pursuant to
such terms, conditions and procedures as he may by regulations
prescribe, has consented to the alien's applying or reapplying for a [This is you.]
visa, for admission to the United States, or adjustment of status.

8 CFR § 212.7 Waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility.

(a) General —(1) Form I–601 must be filed in accordance with the instructions on the form. When filed at a consular office, Form I–601 shall be forwarded to USCIS for a decision upon conclusion that the alien is admissible but for the grounds for which a waiver is sought.

(4) Validity. A waiver granted under section 212(h) or section 212(i) of the Act shall apply only to those grounds of excludability and to those crimes, events or incidents specified in the application for waiver. Once granted, the waiver shall be valid indefinitely, even if the recipient of the waiver later abandons or otherwise loses lawful permanent resident status, except that any waiver which is granted to an alien who obtains lawful permanent residence on a conditional basis under section 216 of the Act shall automatically terminate concurrently with the termination of such residence pursuant to the provisions of section 216. Separate notification of the termination of the waiver is not required when an alien is notified of the termination of residence under section 216 of the Act, and no appeal shall lie from the decision to terminate the waiver on this basis. However, if the respondent is found not to be deportable in a deportation proceeding based on the termination, the waiver shall again become effective. Nothing in this subsection shall preclude the director from reconsidering a decision to approve a waiver if the decision is determined to have been made in error.

Form: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

[I am not certain that a form I-601 is absolutely required for ONLY the small amount of marijuana BUT DHS will figure out that you were in the U.S. because of it. They will probably figure out that you have unlawful presence and a form I-601 IS required to waive that and that requires showing "extreme hardship" to the qualified USC and/or LPR relative(s).]

[You will get conditional status, if granted a waiver and a visa, if the marriage has lasted less than 2 years upon date of entry or adjustment.]

Good Luck,