Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Oath experience.

We reached 15 min before the oath. They checked the oath letter, and seated us. The ceremony lasted a total of 90 min. Got the Naturalization Certificate & took pics. Its over finally!
Thanks much to this forum for the invaluable counsel over the years.
chola

The Durham Do does oaths only on fridays - 60~70 people - 1 bathc in the morning, and one in the afternoon.

Congratulations. Wow..90 minutes for oath ceremony. Mine lasted less than 30 minutes.

Wife passed interview today!

We are in the Raleigh/Durham office district.

My wife went to office for her interview this afternoon. The IO asked her several questions, and then congratulated her. Her oath ceremoney is scheduled for next Friday, May 14.

Good luck every one !!

N-400 interview

I had my naturalization interview yesterday (5/310). Here is the narration of experience.

As you passed the metal detector and get to the other side you get in a line where they look at your appointment letter and GC and give you a ticket with a number on it. You then have to go on to the 2nd floor and wait for you ticket # to be called out. I had to wait good 20-25 mins before my number was called. Once it was, I stood up and waited outside a door. The IO then opened the door greeted me and lead me in to his office. Then I was made to swear an oath that every thing I would say will be the truth and I said "I do".
The IO asked for my appointment letter and GC 1st thing. The IO had my entire file right from I-485/ I-130 (2006) till date. Then he went through my N-400 application. From my N-400 application, he pointed out that, while I had put my middle name on the application, it was not explicitely mentioned as such in my birth certificate. So he said we will have to delete my middle name from the N-400 form. He did so with a red pen. He then went over the form really quickly. He verified my current address. Then as he was going through the pages of the form he asked about selective service, (I came to US after the age of 26), asked of previous criminal record, I said I have none. Asked if I agree to serve in US military etc. if needed, I said yes. Finally asked me if You still working with .... Then he wrote 1 change made on the last page of the form and signed with his red pen. He asked me to sign my full name and print my full name. Then he asked me to sign 2 photos.

Than he asked me to read a sentence: How many senators do we have?
Than he asked me to write the answer to that question: We have one hundred senators.

Than he went through the list of 6 questions (civic/history)
What is the national anthem called?
What is the rule of law?
Which ocean is on the west coast of US?
Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
Who can vote?
Why do some state have more representatives?
Passed 1st 6, all set.

Than officer said congratulations you have passed your naturalization interview and asked to wait outside to receive the results of my interview.

I was waiting outside in the sitting area. 30 mins later a lady came out and called out my name. I went near her and she said "you have passed you interview here is a letter, we will send you a notice about your oath ceremony within 30 day". The letter she gave me was an N-652 which said you were interviewed on this day at such an such a time by this officer, and then a tick mark on - you have beed approved for naturalization
and at the bottom other tick mark on - we will send a letter for oath ceremony.

Thats it, waiting for an oath ceremony letter in earnest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just for the eagely waiting FEB filers. My (and spouse's) online status has changed to case transferred to local office for interview.....
Timeline (from memory...close enough to within a couple of days).

Sent N-400 02/08/2010
FP notice 01/28/2010 (received 1/10/08 )
FP Date 03/20/2010 (walk in done on 03/05/2010)
YL: 04/02/2010
Online status change to case transferred to Local office for interview: 05/08/2010
IL:
ID:
OL:
OD:

How long does it take to get an oath letter after the interview at RDU DO. I had a successful interview last week. When can I expect my oath letter?

My N-400 timeline:
application sent to Lewisville, TX USCIS lockerbox
USCIS local office: RDU.

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
FP notice 12/29/08 (received 01/04/10)
FP Date 1/30/08 (walk in done on 01/06/10)
IL: 04/03/10
ID: 05/03/10 (N-652 interview results letter given)
OL: XX/XX/10
OD: XX/XX/10

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. Already read through a lot of threads and found helpful advice, thanks to all.
Nevertheless I want to ask a question as I am in some kind of predicament here:
My Interview is scheduled for 6/9/2010 at the Durham DO. I will have to fly to Europe for a business trip on June 30th, returning July 13th. This trip has been planned long ago and I absolutely cannot postpone it. So this trip will most likely interfere with the naturalization process as I expect to get an oath appointment sometime mid/ end June and then there won't be enough time to get a US passport on time before the trip.
The way I see it I have the following options now (based on the assumption of the oath ceremony taking place mid/ end June):
1.) Take the interview and after (hopefully) successful completion ask the officer to schedule the oath some time after July 13th (is that even possible? Is the person doing my interview even involved in determining the date of the oath? Or can I contact some other person while there at their offices?)
2.) Take the interview, wait for the oath letter and then contact them and postpone the oath date
3.) Take the interview, take the oath, apply for a passport immediately and hope and pray that the passport will arrive on time before June 30th. If it doesn't, cancel the trip - bad luck
4.) Take the interview, take the oath, apply for a passport immediately and if it doesn't arrive on time travel with the foreign passport (I am a German citizen and Germany does allow dual citizenship) and try reentry with German passport and naturalization certificate, explaining that my passport hasn't arrived yet.

I personally prefer options 1 and 2 as 3 and 4 are too risky for my liking. I know this has been discussed in other threads before too but I would still like to hear if someone has a valuable opinion...
Another question I have: How does traveling abroad between interview and oath or during the whole application process in general affect my application? Anybody with experiences?

Sent N-400: 01/25/2010
cashed check: 01/27/2010
NOA: 02/02/2010
FP notice: 02/18/2010
FP date: 03/03/2010
IL: 05/10/2010
ID: 06/09/2010 (scheduled)

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. Already read through a lot of threads and found helpful advice, thanks to all.
Nevertheless I want to ask a question as I am in some kind of predicament here:
My Interview is scheduled for 6/9/2010 at the Durham DO. I will have to fly to Europe for a business trip on June 30th, returning July 13th. This trip has been planned long ago and I absolutely cannot postpone it. So this trip will most likely interfere with the naturalization process as I expect to get an oath appointment sometime mid/ end June and then there won't be enough time to get a US passport on time before the trip.
The way I see it I have the following options now (based on the assumption of the oath ceremony taking place mid/ end June):
1.) Take the interview and after (hopefully) successful completion ask the officer to schedule the oath some time after July 13th (is that even possible? Is the person doing my interview even involved in determining the date of the oath? Or can I contact some other person while there at their offices?)
2.) Take the interview, wait for the oath letter and then contact them and postpone the oath date
3.) Take the interview, take the oath, apply for a passport immediately and hope and pray that the passport will arrive on time before June 30th. If it doesn't, cancel the trip - bad luck
4.) Take the interview, take the oath, apply for a passport immediately and if it doesn't arrive on time travel with the foreign passport (I am a German citizen and Germany does allow dual citizenship) and try reentry with German passport and naturalization certificate, explaining that my passport hasn't arrived yet.

I personally prefer options 1 and 2 as 3 and 4 are too risky for my liking. I know this has been discussed in other threads before too but I would still like to hear if someone has a valuable opinion...
Another question I have: How does traveling abroad between interview and oath or during the whole application process in general affect my application? Anybody with experiences?

Sent N-400: 01/25/2010
cashed check: 01/27/2010
NOA: 02/02/2010
FP notice: 02/18/2010
FP date: 03/03/2010
IL: 05/10/2010
ID: 06/09/2010 (scheduled)

Raleigh schedules interviews fairly quickly, so there's a chance you can get oath done the same or following week (ask IO at interview). If you do get oath done before travel you can obtain US passport same or next day at regional passport office (closest one is Washington, DC).

If you don't want to deal with having to obtain US passport on such a short notice, then tell IO that you will be traveling and that you request to have oath after your return.

You can travel abroad between interview and oath with no issues, as long as it's not for more than a few months.

How long does it take to get an oath letter after the interview at RDU DO. I had a successful interview last week. When can I expect my oath letter?

My N-400 timeline:

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
OL: XX/XX/10
OD: XX/XX/10
You should expect it by this week or next week since Raleigh schedules oaths fairly quickly.

Hi Shayam,

Did you get your interview letter yet? My online status changed to "Case transferred to local office" today (5/13/2010).

IL recds

Hi,

I recd my IL on 05/13/2010. Inteview is scheduled on 06/18. You should be receiving yours in a couple of
days....

Hi Shayam,

Did you get your interview letter yet? My online status changed to "Case transferred to local office" today (5/13/2010).

All,

Could you provide information about current N-400 timelines at the Raleigh Durham office.

Jan, Feb and March 2010 filers information would be very helpful.

Am specially interested in how much time it takes -

a. from fingerprinting to getting the interview letter
b. from receiving interview letter to the actual interview date
c. from interview date to oath date

Our details are below.

Our N-400 Timelines at Raleigh-Durham NC
Date of Receipt/Priority Date: March 8th 2010
Fingerprinting Date: April 5th 2010
Interview Letter Receipt: ???
Interview Date: ???
Oath Date: ???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to provide information.

Regards
Sanjay

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got my Oath letter yesterday (5/22/10). MY oath is next month Friday - 6/18/10.

My N-400 timeline:

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
OL: 5/22/10
OD: 6/18/10

Ritu_Sanjay, I believ it took 5 to 6month now, koz the new Immigration officers in Raleigh-Durham need more training.
So u need to be patient

All,

Could you provide information about current N-400 timelines at the Raleigh Durham office.

Jan, Feb and March 2010 filers information would be very helpful.

Am specially interested in how much time it takes -

a. from fingerprinting to getting the interview letter
b. from receiving interview letter to the actual interview date
c. from interview date to oath date

Our details are below.

Our N-400 Timelines at Raleigh-Durham NC
Date of Receipt/Priority Date: March 8th 2010
Fingerprinting Date: April 5th 2010
Interview Letter Receipt: ???
Interview Date: ???
Oath Date: ???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to provide information.

Regards
Sanjay

I have no idea, why the processing time of any case takes longer or shorter time then other cases. The key is to have patience while your case is being processed.
Cheers,
Superandy.

My N-400 timeline:

Sent N-400 12/19/09
PD 12/23/09
Check cashed 12/23/09
NOA 12/28/09
OL: 5/22/10
OD: 6/18/10