Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Thanks NEWRUNNER

Thanks very much for your response NEWRUNNER.

Good luck to you for for getting over this process soon.

One other question.
Once we submit N-400, are we not supposed to go out of US for a while... Could you please brief on this rule....when and how long we ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAVE US ?

Again sincere thanks for your immediate response

Once we submit N-400, are we not supposed to go out of US for a while... Could you please brief on this rule....when and how long we ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAVE US ?

There is no requirement that the applicant be present in the US while N400 is pending. However you have to make you are in the US for your FP, interview and Oath ceremony. Also you have to make sure that traveling will not interfere your residency (1/2 of 3/5 years) requirement.

:)

As formerf1 says above, there is no requirement that you have to be in the U.S. during the N-400 application process. However, because things are moving relatively fast these days, the entire process could be completed in 3 to 4 months. This means that you will have to be in the U.S. to receive and complete your fingerprinting appointment. Once that is complete, you will receive your interview letter and appointment, and if that is successful, you will have to be in the U.S. for your oath.

So although there is no requirement to be in the U.S., the receipt of these appointment notices almost requires you to be in the U.S. to ensure that you can attend and complete what USCIS needs you to complete.

And of course, you shouldn't be out of the U.S. if that causes you to break any of the three basic residency requirements for naturalization, namely, 1) 5 year or 3 year continuous residence, 2) 30 month or 18 month physical presence, and 3) 3 month USCIS district residency. But if you have satisfied all of these requirements, you don't have to be in the U.S. during the N-400 application process, except for the concerns highlighted about being available for fingerprinting and interview appointments.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE 'Formerf1' and 'NewRunner'

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE FORMERF1 AND NEWRUNNER.

GOOD LUCK FOR YOU GUYS GET THIS PROCESS DONE A S A P.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND FAMILY.

Gee24

Interview passed.

The whole process took about 2 and half hours. The actual interview was only about 30 mins. The rest was waiting. The office is an old male, super nice. Nothing worth mentioning. I took the notice, green card, passport, driver license and passport photos with me. He only took a quick look of the green card. nothing else. Oath is scheduled on Aug 21st.

So can I apply passport on the oath day? What should I bring?

====================================================
04/13/2009: Application sent to Lewisville, TX
04/27/2009: Forgot signature, resubmit
05/01/2009: Check cashed.
04/28/2009: Priority Date (Notice received on 05/04/2009)
05/14/2009: FP notice received. FP appointment on 06/04.
06/24/2009: Interview Letter received. Interview Date - 08/05/2009
08/05/2009: Interview passed.

Congrats Cloudysky...Yes you can apply for passport right after oath.
You need to take your naturalization certificate, two photos, drivers
license(take a copy as well).

Was your interview in Durham? I am surprised you have to wait
couple weeks for oath. From what I have seen,they have been conducting
oath ceremony every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
From reading recent posts, it looks like Durham office has started giving oath letters right after interview. I hope they keep doing that.

Do we need to carry latest Pay stubs to Interview

Good Morning Guys..... quick question.

Do we need to carry latest Pay stubs to the interview ?
OR
Its fine if we carry the Tax Returns till end of last year ?

My case is

My status
I have not submitted N 400 yet.
Just trying to know the process.
Thanks for the help.
Have a great day

I would say it depends on your case complexity. I had a simple case (employment based GC) and all I took was my driver license, passport and green card.

At our interview, almost everybody had thick files in their hands. I suppose it does not hurt to carry everything possible to the interview.

THANKS Prashant and Foremerf1

Thanks Prashanth. Mine is also employment based. Unfortunately after I moved back to NC 3 1/2 months ago, there has been no paycheck as I did n't secure a job yet.
I am waiting for 4 months time frame to be completed, so that I become eligible to submit my N400.

Thanks Formerf1 as well for the feed back.

I am glad to note that you both are almost done ...............and can you throw some light on 'Dual citizenship'......is there any link that has details of "Advantages", "process" "fees' etc.
Also ......do you guys plan to dive into that process right away as soon as you are done with obtaining US PP..... probably in another 2 weeks or so?

Again Thanks for the help.

My interview was scheduled for 8am today 8/10/09 at the Raleigh/Durham office ( 3 year marriage based). My husband and I got there at 7:30am and waited for security to open the doors at 7:45am. We went through security and then had to wait for a number. Once we got the number, we were told to take the elevator upstairs and wait for our number to be called.

We waited for about 10 mins and then I was called. The officer was very nice and polite. He asked me to raise my right hand and to swear to tell the truth. He then asked me if my husband was with me and I told him yes and that he was in the waiting room. I asked if he needed him to come in and he looked at my file, hesitated and said, "oh you guys have been married for 8 years, no its not necessary but its good that he came with you." I had only asked my husband to come with me because it takes almost 1.5 hrs to drive up there and I just really did not want to drive. I didn't think that in N400 cases they would ask for the spouse.

Anyway, he looked over my file and just went through the questions on the application to make sure that there were no changes. At that time I made it known that I no longer wished to do a name change and he said that was fine and proceeded to make a note of it. He did not ask me for any documents except for my green card. He then asked me to sign the photos and then proceeded to ask the civic questions. I got the first six right so he just stopped there. He then asked me to read a question about columbus day and then to write "Columbus day is in October". After that he told me congratulations and that I will be scheduled for the oath this wednesday 8/12/09. :D:D
I thought, wow that was quick!

I had to then go back to the waiting room and wait for the oath letter and N-652. I waited for about 15mins, they called my name and I got the papers and that was it. It was a very smooth process and I am so relieved that that part is over. I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me through the process and good luck to those who are still waiting!!! :):)

Civic questions:
-What did the declaration of independence do?
-Name one branch of government.
-If both President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
-We elect US senators for how many yrs?
-How many justices?
-How many US senators are there?

Congratulations, Bugs05! It only took you 3 months to go through the whole process!
It looks like Durham DO is giving out oath letters right after interview consistently these days. Thanks for posting your timelines and experience!

Congratulaions

Good to know that every thing was smooth and quick.

Rest of the process will also be the same way....

My interview was scheduled for 8am today 8/10/09 at the Raleigh/Durham office ( 3 year marriage based). My husband and I got there at 7:30am and waited for security to open the doors at 7:45am. We went through security and then had to wait for a number. Once we got the number, we were told to take the elevator upstairs and wait for our number to be called.

We waited for about 10 mins and then I was called. The officer was very nice and polite. He asked me to raise my right hand and to swear to tell the truth. He then asked me if my husband was with me and I told him yes and that he was in the waiting room. I asked if he needed him to come in and he looked at my file, hesitated and said, "oh you guys have been married for 8 years, no its not necessary but its good that he came with you." I had only asked my husband to come with me because it takes almost 1.5 hrs to drive up there and I just really did not want to drive. I didn't think that in N400 cases they would ask for the spouse.

Anyway, he looked over my file and just went through the questions on the application to make sure that there were no changes. At that time I made it known that I no longer wished to do a name change and he said that was fine and proceeded to make a note of it. He did not ask me for any documents except for my green card. He then asked me to sign the photos and then proceeded to ask the civic questions. I got the first six right so he just stopped there. He then asked me to read a question about columbus day and then to write "Columbus day is in October". After that he told me congratulations and that I will be scheduled for the oath this wednesday 8/12/09. :D:D
I thought, wow that was quick!

I had to then go back to the waiting room and wait for the oath letter and N-652. I waited for about 15mins, they called my name and I got the papers and that was it. It was a very smooth process and I am so relieved that that part is over. I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me through the process and good luck to those who are still waiting!!! :):)

Civic questions:
-What did the declaration of independence do?
-Name one branch of government.
-If both President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
-We elect US senators for how many yrs?
-How many justices?
-How many US senators are there?

WOW! dude, we not only had the same civics questions but the same sentences (reading/writing), and about the same processing time.

cool.

Formerf1, what a coincidence that we had the same questions!!! By the way, NJOY SCUBA is right.......I am not a dude, I am all woman!!!! LOL

Good Luck for OD today, whether U R a DUDE or NOT

Good Luck to Bugs05

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally a US Citizen 8/12/09

So today (8/12/09) I officially became a proud United States Citizen!!!! :D:D
Thanks again to everyone in this forum for helping me through this process. Those who are still waiting, I wish you all the best. I know that the wait seems long at times but it will all be worth it when you finally get to stand up and pledge allegiance to the greatest country in the world!!!! :):):):)