Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I received a yellow letter today containing the checklist of required documents and only the state issued identification card is checked in it.

Does this mean that I am going to receive an interview letter soon?

Hmm...probably the person reviewing your file wants to have a copy of your ID in the file.I actually included a copy of my drivers license when I mailed my application.Just make a copy and take with you.

I would think you should get your interview letter soon.
Goodluck!

Thank you Bobsmyth & ncgirl for your responses.
I hope I get the interview letter really soon.

Congrats ncgirl on successfully completing your interview. Hope you get the oath letter
within days.

I received my oath letter today!The ceremony will be March 26th at 9.30am in the Durham DO.I am so thrilled!!

gc3003,hang in there...you will sail through with flying colors,your letter will come soon..

NC girl congratulations on passing your interview and on receiving your oath letter and date.

I will be there on Monday taking my oath for naturalization and I was quite amazed at how short a process it has been for me since I immigrated here.

10/29/2004: I-485 application
11/08/2004: receipt date
12/20/2005: Interview and acceptance for permanent residence
03/21/2008: 10 year green card issued.
(See signature panel for rest)

As I married an American citizen I qualify for naturalization after 3 years, as you can see I applied 90 days before the date of 12/20/2008 and I am being sworn in 03/16/2009 84 days from the eligible date.

I know I am one of the lucky ones.

Oh and what a small world it is, I mentioned previously that a client of mine was taking her oath this week and its Friday because I believe that a Judge is presiding and she is adding a middle name. Well her daughter is being sworn in with me on Monday so her family will be back again!

Thanks

Degsey

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys,
could anyone tell me how far in advance am i suppose to get there if it says in the letter, the oath ceremony is at 9:30. when would the actual ceremony start?

hey guys,
could anyone tell me how far in advance am i suppose to get there if it says in the letter, the oath ceremony is at 9:30. when would the actual ceremony start?

They will not let you in earlier than half an hour before.

Degsey

What did you all use to sign your name on your photos during the interview pen or pencil? I know I had a hard time printing my name at the back of the photos using a pencil when I sent my N-400. During the interview, do you sign in front of back of the photos? Thanks~

What did you all use to sign your name on your photos during the interview pen or pencil? I know I had a hard time printing my name at the back of the photos using a pencil when I sent my N-400. During the interview, do you sign in front of back of the photos? Thanks~

The officer gave me a pen to sign with.

Bobsmyth,

Last time I talked to the IO, he said Congratulations, your file has been
placed in queue on January 30th for the interview. It does mean that FP and
name check have been cleared/completed.

Is it not?

How does one get a hold of an IO?

I tried the 800 number, but all I could get is the frontline people, who just read from the script and told me I have to wait 120 days after the interview before they will update the file, etc.

I had the interview on Feb 24th, so just under a month ago. It seems some folks have gotten their oath letters within a few days after the interview?

n400filer

How does one get a hold of an IO?

I tried the 800 number, but all I could get is the frontline people, who just read from the script and told me I have to wait 120 days after the interview before they will update the file, etc.

I had the interview on Feb 24th, so just under a month ago. It seems some folks have gotten their oath letters within a few days after the interview?

n400filer

Call the 1-800 number, choose options 1-2-3 to get to rep, tell them it's been more than 30 days since you applied and haven't received receipt notice yet (don't tell them anything further, including you had interview). The rep will transfer your call to an IO at thta point who will be able to check if you have an oath scheduled yet.

N-400 Interview letter received at Durham DO

Hi all,

I received interview letter today.
Please see my signature for details of my case.

Hello everyone,
I am here to tell you that the culmination of all hard work and waiting come to an end for me today as of 9:45Am. As you can see in my signature, I am now a proud citizen of US. The ceremony we had today was very dignified, matching this momentous occasion. The head of the Durham branch INS (I am sorry that I missed his name) was the one who conducted the ceremony. He is a well spoken, humble and understanding individual to say the list. After seeing him, I now know why my application was processed quickly and I might say unusual to my prior INS experiences. He is trying hard to change the image of INS and I hope he succeeded.
The things I noticed are, when you go for Oath ceremony, things are different. The treatment was different and we don’t even have to pass through the metal detector door!!. We were close to 100 individuals at the oath ceremony. After finishing the ceremony, we received our naturalization card. I am going to the post office tomorrow to apply for my passport.
Finally, I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me and all who came before me in this forum. This website has been the most up-to-date and informative one. With this website saved in my computer, I always felt that I know more than any INS officer can tell me. The pattern that emerges from collected individual’s information was always powerful. I learn a lot. I will say to you keep up the good work and you will be the bright light to all who will pass through this process. Many will come for sure!! And your case will be over soon.
Finally, I want to live you with the song “I am proud to be an American”. I am truly proud!!!!
Thank you guys!!!

Congratulations qsheba! And congratulations Bobsmyth on becoming a moderator, a promotion long past due. ;)

Hello everyone,
I am here to tell you that the culmination of all hard work and waiting come to an end for me today as of 9:45Am. As you can see in my signature, I am now a proud citizen of US. The ceremony we had today was very dignified, matching this momentous occasion. The head of the Durham branch INS (I am sorry that I missed his name) was the one who conducted the ceremony. He is a well spoken, humble and understanding individual to say the list. After seeing him, I now know why my application was processed quickly and I might say unusual to my prior INS experiences. He is trying hard to change the image of INS and I hope he succeeded.
The things I noticed are, when you go for Oath ceremony, things are different. The treatment was different and we don’t even have to pass through the metal detector door!!. We were close to 100 individuals at the oath ceremony. After finishing the ceremony, we received our naturalization card. I am going to the post office tomorrow to apply for my passport.
Finally, I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped me and all who came before me in this forum. This website has been the most up-to-date and informative one. With this website saved in my computer, I always felt that I know more than any INS officer can tell me. The pattern that emerges from collected individual’s information was always powerful. I learn a lot. I will say to you keep up the good work and you will be the bright light to all who will pass through this process. Many will come for sure!! And your case will be over soon.
Finally, I want to live you with the song “I am proud to be an American”. I am truly proud!!!!
Thank you guys!!!

Congratulations qsheba!!!!It must sure feel good and to be so proud of becoming a USC.How long did the oath ceremony take?

I took my Oath on Monday 16th March at Durham it was surposed to start at 9.30am but started at 9.45am and was over by 10.25am.

What amazed me was the attitude of the secruity men towards us about to become citizens. We went straight through the metal detector after having our id's checked, cell phones and camera's were allowed and we were expressed in front of other people who were there for biometrics, interviews etc.

On the whole a great experience.

Went to Washington DC on Wednesday to try to get a passport on the same day, wrong ! I had to go back today (Thursday) to pick up but still had to wait three and half hours. The passport agency took me back to when I had to have my biometrics taken for the first time in Floriday, a whole of people and secruity guards shouting at you.

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Degsey

I took my Oath on Monday 16th March at Durham it was surposed to start at 9.30am but started at 9.45am and was over by 10.25am.

What amazed me was the attitude of the secruity men towards us about to become citizens. We went straight through the metal detector after having our id's checked, cell phones and camera's were allowed and we were expressed in front of other people who were there for biometrics, interviews etc.

On the whole a great experience.

Went to Washington DC on Wednesday to try to get a passport on the same day, wrong ! I had to go back today (Thursday) to pick up but still had to wait three and half hours. The passport agency took me back to when I had to have my biometrics taken for the first time in Floriday, a whole of people and secruity guards shouting at you.

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Degsey

Congratulations !! You must have been needing that passport very urgently to travel all the way to DC. ;)

Call the 1-800 number, choose options 1-2-3 to get to rep, tell them it's been more than 30 days since you applied and haven't received receipt notice yet (don't tell them anything further, including you had interview). The rep will transfer your call to an IO at thta point who will be able to check if you have an oath scheduled yet.

Well, that was easy enough. Turns out the case received final approval a few days after the interview, and it is now waiting to be scheduled for the oath.

I guess it is not first come, first served... from what I see on some folk's signatures, some have had their interviews after me, and yet they already had their oath ceremonies.

Ah well.