Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Fbanna,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! it's good to hear about people finally coming to the end of this process.

in my case, I'm not changing my name, so I feel like I should've been scheduled this week. I tried making an Infopass, but it's saying "there are no appts available at this time," so all I can do is call the customer service number again and talk to an IO; there's no way to call the actual district office, is there? or contact my interviewing USCIS officer?

rjwang,

I see how embarrassed you may be. I don't see what else you can do if Infopass is not available.

By the way, do they tell you when you have been put in the queue ? It may be that it took a while after interview for your case to be approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 06:40 PM and Synn_r, KennyGH and Green8 have not reported to the forum. they are probably somewhere in town drinking to celebrate their citizenship and KennyGH his wife's. :D

Congrats FBANNA! I see some people want to spoil your party but the people who wish you well outnumber the bad apples. Enjoy it to the max!!

The forum bug wants to make a case about the way I got my green card. I only remember the congratulations from good folks like you.

Sorry I didn't check in sooner.

We got there about 45 minutes early yesterday. My wife was one of the first ones seated and ended up leading the pledge. It was a nice ceremony and it was REALLY NICE to not spend all day dealing with USCIS. My turn is now on the 7th and I don't think I'll be there as early as we were for hers. My principal has already told me I'll be leading the pledge over the announcements the next day....

Fbanna, yes we did have a small celebration yesterday and are planning a party with some friends on the 18th.

PM me if anyone wants to drop by. :)

Documents to take with you for interview

Hi all

I am having my interview in like 3 weeks at Charlotte.

So Can anyone share what documents they did take with them beside the one that they specify on the interview letter.

I have printed off the document that Johnny Cash had shared on the " what documents to take for interview" thread.

but is there any additional document you took and also do they ask anything else beside greencard and driver's license.

Thanks

If you have had any tickets or been arrested, take court deposition or proof of payment and community service with you, if applicable.

Yes I did.

Filed my N 400 on July 14th of this year - 2008.

Received yellow folrm around August 20th 2008 shortly after my FP was done indicating to bring the missing items at the time of interview.

Last week received the Interview letter for Interview on 11th Nov 2008

Do they send this yellow form to everyone who filed the N400? I got one today and we thought at first that it was already the interview letter. Unfortunately, it was just a list of documents to bring to the interview. :(

Do they send this yellow form to everyone who filed the N400? I got one today and we thought at first that it was already the interview letter. Unfortunately, it was just a list of documents to bring to the interview. :(

Based on the posts I have found on this forum, it is pretty standard nowdays to receive a yellow form 2-4 weeks after fingerprinting. Unfortunately, I do not know if there is any correlation between receving that form and future interview letter or if receiving a yellow form means that FP have been already cleared.

Thank you very much for your response AndyStar. You've set my mind at ease as we were a bit concerned about the letter.

I do have another question. The list of documents they required includes "divorce decree (or death certificate) registered by a civil authority. We only have the original decrees. Does this mean we have to get registered copies?

-Xenia

I gave up. Today i have recieved a second cancellation from the USCIS (no set reason). I am very upset now:mad:

I gave up. Today i have recieved a second cancellation from the USCIS (no set reason). I am very upset now:mad:

Sorry to hear that, naso. I feel your pain.

It will eventually come. Look at my signature, it took me almost three years to get it. I had the chance to work abroad but could not make it since I wanted to meet their residence requirement. I know people who waited even longer than me.

See if you can schedule another infopass to see why they did this. If it is not your part of the problems, I guess you just wait a bit longer. I took the oath today but then what? It is more like an anti-climax feeling and I don't really feel much difference from yesterday.

Thanks, Fbanna.

I think there were about 144 people who were naturalized this morning. (12x12). The ceremony was short, perhaps shorter than the one you attended. I didn’t have a watch or cell phone with me so I didn’t record the time. My office is inside the rtp and about two miles to the DO. I didn’t leave until 10 15 but after I checked in and ushered in to the ceremony room, I still saw people checking in. So it is safe to say the ceremony didn’t start until well-beyond 10.30. When I got back to my office, it is 11.32. I also did voter registration after the ceremony.

We had these two twin sisters leading us for the pledge of allegiance. I thought that is interesting. The director joked with them if they had some fingerprints.

I read from this forum that people in other places had to remove the shoes and belts for security check. We didn’t have to do that. And the director mentioned that in his speech saying we didn’t ask you to take off your shoes today.

I would say it is a good one though I had a feeling like so short and that is it? Sort of anti-climax after almost three years of waiting and frustrations.

My oath experience

The day I thought would never arrive has finally come; my naturalization oath.

It was scheduled for 2:30pm. Me and my wife arrived about 15 min before. Security allowed cameras and cell phone for oath only (although officer reminded everyone at oath that all cell phone must be turned off). We were fist asked to stand in line and hand in our filled out and signed oath letter at front desk (it's ok to fill this out and sign it before hand) . The front clerk looked at it real quick, kept oath letter, asked us if we had green card and then told us to go to oath room (which is on same 1st floor on right right after security). As you enter oath room, a person is there to collect your green card and you are then asked to be seated by row. There were about 10 rows with about 15 people in each row. They didn't mention total people there, nor did they mention countries of origin (which would have made it more personal). At 2:35pm the ceremony began. The acting field director Gretchen (Corkin?) began the ceremony with a video about the importance of becoming a US citizen, followed by her (and applicants) reciting the oath. She must have been new and nervous at this as she had to read word per word , page per page during the entire presentation. Too bad she didn't add a little bit of life to the ceremony...the event was rather subdued. She then had an applicant read the pledge of allegiance, and then watched a short video of President Bush (reminded me of SNL skit :D ) . Then there was a final video song (Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOc6wv9s1wA

I found it odd they didn't play the national anthem instead.

Finally, Gretchen congratulated us in becoming citizens, and instructed us to pick up our certificates row by row on our way out. She also let us know that voting registration could be done right outside room. We opted not to stay as it was rather crowded in reception and we will register to vote online instead.
The ceremony was over by 2:50pm and we were outside by 2:55pm..very efficient process I must say, despite it being a little lifeless. I must give Durham DO an "A" for effort as they are new and still have a few kinks to work out.
It was a surreal experience for me and my wife, as we have been waiting for this to be over and done for over 1 year now(436 days to be exact) . We celebrated by going to a restaurant (Cleveland Ale House) and ate outside in the beautiful Carolina weather.
In the coming days I will apply for passport and go to SS office to change of status to citizen.

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated (and continues to participate) in this forum with their experiences and valuable information . It made me realize that others had to endure the same waiting game I did.
I'd also like to dedicate the oath ceremony to all the applicants who have come from difficult countries and/or backgrounds and who have realized their life dream of becoming US citizens. Being a Canadian myself , US naturalization doesn't change much for me personally (apart from a sense that the US is now my home). However, it does make me realize that naturalization means much more to those who have struggled throughout their lives, and have finally achieved freedom. To all of you , I salute you; it's your turn now to live the American dream.

If any of you have questions feel free to ask me. And to all of you still waiting (especially those in Raleigh who are still waiting for interview or oath), hand in there..your wait will soon be over. ..

The day I thought would never arrive has finally come; my naturalization oath.

It was scheduled for 2:30pm. Me and my wife arrived about 15 min before. Security allowed cameras and cell phone for oath only (although officer reminded everyone at oath that all cell phone must be turned off). We were fist asked to stand in line and hand in our filled out and signed oath letter at front desk (it's ok to fill this out and sign it before hand) . The front clerk looked at it real quick, kept oath letter, asked us if we had green card and then told us to go to oath room (which is on same 1st floor on right right after security). As you enter oath room, a person is there to collect your green card and you are then asked to be seated by row. There were about 10 rows with about 15 people in each row. They didn't mention total people there, nor did they mention countries of origin (which would have made it more personal). At 2:35pm the ceremony began. The acting field director Gretchen (Corkin?) began the ceremony with a video about the importance of becoming a US citizen, followed by her (and applicants) reciting the oath. She must have been new and nervous at this as she had to read word per word , page per page during the entire presentation. Too bad she didn't add a little bit of life to the ceremony...the event was rather subdued. She then had an applicant read the pledge of allegiance, and then watched a short video of President Bush (reminded me of SNL skit :) ) . Then there was a final video song (Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOc6wv9s1wA

Finally, Gretchen congratulated us in becoming citizens, and instructed us to pick up our certificates row by row on our way out. She also let us know that voting registration could be done right outside room. We opted not to stay as it was rather crowded in reception and we will register to vote online instead.
The ceremony was over by 2:50pm and we were outside by 2:55pm..very efficient process I must say, despite it being a little lifeless. I must give Durham DO an "A" for effort as they are new and still have a few kinks to work out.
It was a surreal experience for me and my wife, as we have been waiting for this to be over and done for over 1 year now(436 days to be exact) . We celebrated by going to a restaurant (Cleveland Ale House) and ate outside in the beautiful Carolina weather.
In the coming days I will apply for passport and go to SS office to change of status to citizen.

I'd like to thank everyone who has participated (and continues to participate) in this forum with their experiences and valuable information . It made me realize that others had to endure the same waiting game I did.
I'd also like to dedicate the oath ceremony to all the applicants who have come from difficult countries and/or backgrounds and who have realized their life dream of becoming US citizens. Being a Canadian myself , US naturalization doesn't change much for me personally (apart from a sense that the US is now my home). However, it does make me realize that naturalization means much more to those who have struggled throughout their lives, and have finally achieved freedom. To all of you , I salute you; it's your turn now to live the American dream.

If any of you have questions feel free to ask me. And to all of you still waiting (especially those in Raleigh who are still waiting for interview or oath), hand in there..your wait will soon be over. ..

congrats bobby. It looks you were not bored as you passed almost all of your waiting time from pd to oath on this forum. Almost 9-10 posts every day since you joined!
Your statement is startling that US naturalization does not seem much for you? There are highly qualified medical doctors from other countries that drive taxies in Canada to support themselves. Canadian economy is not all that great. Hasn't been great for long time.