quit my H1 job and get married

shine2

Registered Users (C)
Hi please help me answer this question!

I'm in a totally wrong job for me. It's been three years. I wanted to quit but couldn't because of H1B restriction, and changing jobs (to a totally different career) with visa sponsorship is very hard.

Now I am getting married next week and my husband will sponsor me for GC. But we haven't started doing the forms yet.

My question: when can I quit my job? Right after we get married or wait till all proper documents are submitted? But I just can't bear my job anymore! I'm burnt out and exhausted.

Hi could someone answer my question?

BTW my husband-soon-to-be is a US citizen. Come on I am not a spoiled person who wants to avoid work. I'm just confused about the timing. Will I be considered out of status if I quit my H1 job and the application for GC is not yet submitted? Thanks so much!

shine2 said:
Will I be considered out of status if I quit my H1 job and the application for GC is not yet submitted?

Yes, you'll be out of status from when you quit your job until your I-130/485 package is filed and received by USCIS. Since you are married to a US citizen, it will not be fatal to your adjustment.

Americans care that other people obey immigration laws. When it comes to their own family, that's a different story. ;)

thank you TheRealCanadian!

I guess I will have to stick out till I can put the forms together. Do you know how long it usually takes to put the application package together? Seems a lot of forms to complete. Thanks again.

It's not really that hard to fill out family-based immigration forms. Stuff that can take some time to prepare includes your birth certificate from your home country and the medical exam result.

shine2 said:
BTW my husband-soon-to-be is a US citizen. Come on I am not a spoiled person who wants to avoid work. I'm just confused about the timing. Will I be considered out of status if I quit my H1 job and the application for GC is not yet submitted? Thanks so much!

Leave your job after he gets his citizenship. Apply for I-130 and I-485 and then quit the job.