Quit job, whats gonna happento my TN visa?

2civic3

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys, I am a Canadian, I just quit my job here in the US and my last day of work is this coming friday. I need about another 3 weeks to pack up my things and take care of stuff to finish all this. Here are my questions:

Am I allowed to stay extra 3 weeks after my last day of work?
Should I change my status from TN to TD to be able to stay longer?
What should I do to stay a little longer?

Also, my wife is expecting an offer from a company, and I just quit my job so she will be changing her status from TD to TN. So basically I need to get a TD visa since my TN visa is void but will expire November 2009.

A little help and advice would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

why are you asking about packing up a the same time as sayinhg your wife is going to get TN, which is it?

You can't get TD unless ans until your wife gets TN. And your wife's TD is dead too.

If you are leaving in 3 weeks, you don't need to do anything special, other than pack and leave. If you are planning to stay longer, then eithr get a b2 by mail, or go with her when she gets TN for your TD.

Last edited by a moderator:
hy are you asking about packing up a the same time as sayinhg your wife is going to get TN, which is it?

You can't get TD unless ans until your wife gets TN. And your wife's TD is dead too.

If you are leaving in 3 weeks, you don't need to do anything special, other than pack and leave. If you are planning to stay longer, then eithr get a b2 by mail, or go with her when she gets TN for your TD.

Well, when I said 3 weeks, that 3 weeks will give us time to wait for my wifes offer. So i guess we could stay longer after my last day of work to wait for my wifes offer.

Recognize that you are both out of status when you lose your job. So no leaving US until one of you gets a job or you decide to pack and go back.

Well, when I said 3 weeks, that 3 weeks will give us time to wait for my wifes offer. So i guess we could stay longer after my last day of work to wait for my wifes offer.

Well, I don't know what the rules are about grace period.. if you're near Canadian border, I would just go across the border, return TN and TD I94s and return as visitor... you'll be ok to stay for six months as visitor... be sure to tell Canadian customs of list of items you'll be bringing later.

Well, I don't know what the rules are about grace period.. if you're near Canadian border, I would just go across the border, return TN and TD I94s and return as visitor... you'll be ok to stay for six months as visitor... be sure to tell Canadian customs of list of items you'll be bringing later.

Bad, bad, bad advice.
2civic3 read and follow what nelsona has written!

Huh? On what basis is he going to be admitted as a visitor. his life and possessions are in US. He isn't considered a visitor.

I talked to one of my co-worker and he said one of his buddy that worked in Florida, also a canadian w/ TN Visa, quit his job then stayed for about 2 months then left US back to Canada without any problem crossing the border. I guess me and my family are ok to stay for a while but I just need some clarification from you people. Anyway, keep posting guys to make it clear for me and for everybody that has the same question.

Thanks..

I talked to one of my co-worker and he said one of his buddy that worked in Florida, also a canadian w/ TN Visa, quit his job then stayed for about 2 months then left US back to Canada without any problem crossing the border

I'm always leery of "I had a co-worker who had a buddy who heard about someone" stories. But yeah, he could be out of status for 2 months and it would be hard to detect.

I guess me and my family are ok to stay for a while but I just need some clarification from you people.

You're not "OK". You're "able to get away with it until someone notices". There's a difference, even if 99% of the time the result is the same. It's the 1% cases that suck.

All i am gonna say is "DO THE RIGHT THING" if you overstaying is going to jeopardize your future immigration or non-immigrant fillings, why do it? The whole "buddy" scenerio is not what you should go by, everyone and everycase is different.
Think about the future as you make imoprtant decisions today.
Good luck.

I came to USA with a TN visa, once it was denied (went to another border and was ok) the officer at the border told me that I had 10 days to leave the country.

I personally I asked to Port officer and according to him if you get lay off or you quit your job, you have to leave USA within 30 days. So I believe 30 days grace periods.

Last month ( 27th Feb,2009) I get laid off , that time I was on H1-B and after 10 days I got now job ( 9th March,2009) and I went at peace bridge to change my status from H1-B to TN status. That time he has asked me to show Company Laid off letter.

There is no grace period. What there is is reasonable time to pack up and leave. that, as is obvious from even the 2 responses on this thread, varies from officer to officer.

Of course, when you leave US, you don't deal with CBP, do you. You simply leave and if anything, speak to a Cdn border officer.

So, the opinion of a CBP officer, who has little interface with people leaving the US, is not the most dependable source.