Quick Question about transit in canada

kaoticfury

Registered Users (C)
i am gonna travel this summer, will travel through canada then flight back to the US, do i need a transit visa? i am a greencard holder now

thanks

kaoticfury said:
i am gonna travel this summer, will travel through canada then flight back to the US, do i need a transit visa? i am a greencard holder now

thanks

You should call the Canadian consulate for the latest information.

That said, my understanding is that your green card plus either a refugee travel document or a reentry permit will suffice.

Please do not be like Comrade Casaca--do not use your national passport.

kaoticfury said:

thanks

If you dont need a visa to visit canada since you are GC holder..why would you need a Transit visa???

No you do not need any kind of Visa with a GC.

kaoticfury said:

thanks

You don't even need a passport, the GC is enough to travel to and from Canada, on Dec 31 2006 things will change and passport will be mandatory, but right now is not.

I'm travelling to Canada with my family this summer and don't want to spend the money of 4 RTDs, so I called 3 or 4 Canadian consulates and they told me that, also called the Airline and they gave me the same info.

Flashington said:
You don't even need a passport, the GC is enough to travel to and from Canada, on Dec 31 2006 things will change and passport will be mandatory, but right now is not.

I'm travelling to Canada with my family this summer and don't want to spend the money of 4 RTDs, so I called 3 or 4 Canadian consulates and they told me that, also called the Airline and they gave me the same info.

Double check the rules. It could be different (about the passport requirement) if you are flying in from a country other than the U.S.

thankful said:
Double check the rules. It could be different (about the passport requirement) if you are flying in from a country other than the U.S.

You're correct, what I asked in the consulate is travelling to and from US, if you enter Canada from a third country you do need a passport.

Flashington said:
You're correct, what I asked in the consulate is travelling to and from US, if you enter Canada from a third country you do need a passport.

I think we are getting sidetracked here. Kaoticfury asked if he can transit in Canada which means he is traveling to another country. From what I know, no other country allows ONLY GC to enter except Canada. So in this case, Kaotic must have a passport in hand.

He did not ask if he can go to canada with a GC only..he asked if he needs a transit visa..

wantmygcnow said:
I think we are getting sidetracked here. Kaoticfury asked if he can transit in Canada which means he is traveling to another country. From what I know, no other country allows ONLY GC to enter except Canada. So in this case, Kaotic must have a passport in hand.

He did not ask if he can go to canada with a GC only..he asked if he needs a transit visa..

thanks for all comments, i will travel to Japan by air canada, my first time to fly to canada, i have been to vancouver BC hundreds of times by ROAD using my green card, not sure if i need a transit visa to canada if i take air plane from USA-Canada and Japan-Canada

sorry for any confusions :cool:

kaoticfury said:
thanks for all comments, i will travel to Japan by air canada, my first time to fly to canada, i have been to vancouver BC hundreds of times by ROAD using my green card, not sure if i need a transit visa to canada if i take air plane from USA-Canada and Japan-Canada

sorry for any confusions :cool:

You do not need a visa. The question is if you need a travel document to go along with your green card. Since you are going to Japan you will need a travel document for Japan. So the question becomes irrelevant.

BTW, have you applied for a Japanese visa yet? How hard was that?