Quick Photo Q

You cannot wear any dark glasses like a rayban etc. but lets say if you do have to wear glasses like regular reading ones etc. Then you should be fine.

Thanks.

I was born with glasses :cool:and in every immigration related picture (485, GC renewal, N-400) and my country of birth passports I've always been told to take any glasses off.

I was born with glasses :cool:and in every immigration related picture (485, GC renewal, N-400) and my country of birth passports I've always been told to take any glasses off.

I had my picture taken with my glasses off for GC but had them on for my N400 photograph. In fact, my naturalization certificate now has the photo with my glasses on. I think the OP should be okay so long as he does not have sunglasses on.

Apparently the Costco guy that took my N-400 pics (asked for standard passport pictures) must have thought glasses are a no-no as he asked me to remove them. I just checked the official passport requirements and they said regular eyeglasses are OK. Thank you for the information! I look a lot more dignified with glasses!

The IL asked for two more pics, I am thinking to go to a more enlightened place (we have had good luck at Sears) for the 'final' N-400 pics even tho the price is $16-17 vs $6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my own pic and printed them out on my printer. I was surprised they were accepted since there was some grain visible in the pictures.

I took my own pic and printed them out on my printer. I was surprised they were accepted since there was some grain visible in the pictures.

I had my pictures taken at Walgreens. To my surprise, they used a cheap, low-end digital camera to take the photo for which they charged around $8 per pair. Daylight robbery! I bet that you had a better camera than what they used although I suspect that most people would not have the kind of professional photo-printers that they use.

Costco is 4.75-95 (less than 5 )....You can also scan it to use it for next time via self-print at walmart.../etc

Another thought since this horse has not been beaten to a pulp yet. Costco pics are WAY too thin, and if you use a Sharpie, it could well show through... Sears type pics are printed on heavier paper and will likely do better with the Sharpie.

If cost or quality is an issue :) another option is to take your own if you have a serious digicam, adjust size etc as needed, and print two to a page on real Costco type print-your-own off a USB stick. Not instant, but my digital SLR is much better than the Nicon CoolPix the guy used...

Can't wait for Do-It-Yourself biometrics :eek: (that would be a great use for my super hi resolution scanner :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought since this horse has not been beaten to a pulp yet. Costco pics are WAY too thin, and if you use a Sharpie, it could well show through... Sears type pics are printed on heavier paper and will likely do better with the Sharpie.

If cost or quality is an issue :) another option is to take your own if you have a serious digicam, adjust size etc as needed, and print two to a page on real Costco type print-your-own off a USB stick. Not instant, but my digital SLR is much better than the Nicon CoolPix the guy used...

Can't wait for Do-It-Yourself biometrics :eek: (that would be a great use for my super hi resolution scanner :))

With that comment, the horse is officially dead.:D

I regularly wear glasses and the photo requirement says do not wear eyeglasses. Did they mean regular glasses or dark glasses?

I think if you read the instructions carefully it says "if you wear glasses for every day tasks like driving, then leave them on." OK, not exactly those words but that's what I remember reading.

I left mine on as I need them to read and drive and everything else in between. :)

Just make sure they can clearly see your eyes and no flash-flare on the glasses. Tilt your head up slightly so the flash does not flare.

Like Bob, I took my own pic and printed on a dye-sublimation photo printer but you can put them on a thumb drive and go to Walmart and do them there for about 50-cents each.

Just noticed that horse was still alive... :-D so here goes. Take a picture at home and then go to www[dot]epassportphoto[dot]com . 25 cents for 7 pics.

With fear of being accused of animal cruelty (to horses), there is actually some confusion on the official government web sites about this.
  1. The n400 checklist says
    Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo.
  2. A link on the right points you to a document called "M-603, USCIS is Making Photos Simple." That document says
    All photos must meet the specifications for full-frontal/passport photos.
  3. The guidelines for professional photographers on passport photos says,
    Eyeglasses should be worn if normally used by the subject.
  4. The general guidelines for passport applications are as follows:
    If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture
    Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
With contradictions like this, it is no wonder these forums are so busy!

I had my photos taken at CVS pharmacy. I asked them specifically if I needed to take my glasses off. They said no. They were right for passport photos. I'm going to send what I have (with glasses) and see what happens. I'll let you guys know if there was a problem.

I got photos based on the N400 checklist and submitted photos without glasses - that is the one on my naturalization certificate.

For the US PP, I will probably need to get one with glasses against a white background as that is what is suggested.

For an Indian visa or OCI card, I will need one with glasses against a light but non-white background.

Never had so many pics of myself taken :D