Questions on docs to include with family group application

vip1r

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am applying in NY for myself + wife and 2 kids who are pio holders currently

I understand that I need to put 2 copies of each document for each of the following myself and wife:

DL (both sides)
Latest Indian passport (4/5 pages with details)
US Passport (1 page)
(Anything I am missing ?)

For the kids is 2 copies of the following sufficient:
Birth Certificate
US Passport
PIO Card

Or do we need to include 2 copies of all our documents with each of the kids even if it is in the same package.

On the check, I guess, we can do 1 banker's check for all four?

On the notarization, do we self attest all the copies? or do we actually need to go to a notary?

Thanks for any replies.

Please see section 11 in the link below:

indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=174&partid=100&sub=sub6

You need to include other things such as 2 copies of 2 different proofs of residence for each adult applicant.

I have included both part A and B with every application as well as all docs including proof of address with each of the applications.

I have to say, I think I just heard a tree cry. I increased the carbon footprint, I need to go buy some rain forest land or something. This is really crazy, you would think that with the fees they are charging, they can afford to buy a photocopy machine and copy it in India rather than making us send so many copies of the same document.

I have included both part A and B with every application as well as all docs including proof of address with each of the applications.

I have to say, I think I just heard a tree cry. I increased the carbon footprint, I need to go buy some rain forest land or something. This is really crazy, you would think that with the fees they are charging, they can afford to buy a photocopy machine and copy it in India rather than making us send so many copies of the same document.

I agree ... and also request you to be very careful ... send everything otherwise carbon foot print will double ... because Indian Consulates don't care ... they will send everything back and will make you cry and send everything again ... don't want to scare you but my experience so far has not been good and looking at paper I have sent ... I thought are we serious about global warming ...

They can very well ask scanned documents and upload somewhere or scan over documents (original documents) we send to them during this process.

I agree ... and also request you to be very careful ... send everything otherwise carbon foot print will double ... because Indian Consulates don't care ... they will send everything back and will make you cry and send everything again ... don't want to scare you but my experience so far has not been good and looking at paper I have sent ... I thought are we serious about global warming ...

They can very well ask scanned documents and upload somewhere or scan over documents (original documents) we send to them during this process.

I 'am going through the ordeal myself and I second that as well
but remember India immigration is no USCIS and it will take years to get perfected

Hi I am applying in NY for myself + wife and 2 kids who are pio holders currently

I understand that I need to put 2 copies of each document for each of the following myself and wife:

DL (both sides)
Latest Indian passport (4/5 pages with details)
US Passport (1 page)

For the kids is 2 copies of the following sufficient:
Birth Certificate
US Passport
PIO Card

Or do we need to include 2 copies of all our documents with each of the kids even if it is in the same package.

On the check, I guess, we can do 1 banker's check for all four?

On the notarization, do we self attest all the copies? or do we actually need to go to a notary?

Thanks for any replies.

For YOU:
Part A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill on your name and DL+ with part B+2 extra photos

For your Wife: Part- A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill and DL/ID )+ 2 Extra photo

Child 1: PART- A, copy of US passport, Copy of birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2extra photo (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

Child 2: PART- A, copy of US passport, Copy of Birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2extra photo+ (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

*** *Fees in one Bank cashier Check (your Fee $275+ your wife+275+ Child 1 $145+child 2 $145=
***You and your wife can self attest your copies but child PIO card should be notarized.
** make TWO sets for You, Your Wife, Kid1, Kid2

Write your address and Phone number,email on cover letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
For YOU:
Part A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill on your name and DL+ with part B+2 extra photos

For your Wife: Part- A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill and DL+ Part A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill and DL)+ 2 Extra photo

Child 1: PART- A, copy of US passport, Copy of birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2extra photo (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

Child 2: PART- A, copy of US passport, Copy of Birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2extra photo+ (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

*** *Fees in one Bank cashier Check (your Fee $275+ your wife+275+ Child 1 $145+child 2 $145=
***You and your wife can self attest your copies but child PIO card should be notarized.

I put a part B with each application. I self attested all photo copies. I did not get the PIO copy notarized. Will do so and send. I guess 2 copies of each.

Just to be safe, I am planning to attach 4 extra photos. (I get six 2x2 prints from target for the same price, no point holding on to 2).

I read somewhere, that they do not take fedex and only use USPS is that true?

I put a part B with each application. I self attested all photo copies. I did not get the PIO copy notarized. Will do so and send. I guess 2 copies of each.

Just to be safe, I am planning to attach 4 extra photos. (I get six 2x2 prints from target for the same price, no point holding on to 2).

I read somewhere, that they do not take fedex and only use USPS is that true?

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=174

l) Applications are to be sent by Express Mail only.

I do not know whether they mean USPS express mail only?
but why take any risk

For YOU:

For your Wife: Part- A with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill and DL/ID )+ 2 Extra photo

You

Things marked in Red are not required, why to unnecessary complicate it guys? OCI instructions are very clear on the Application form

http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIProcedure.html

Documents:

Copy of first and last pages/pages containing personal details of Indian Passport held by the applicant prior to acquiring foreign citizenship. Please do not attach photocopy of all pages of the passport.

OR

Birth Certificate in case of minors and applicants born outside India who did not possess Indian Passport; and copy of Indian passports of parents or grand parents (pages containing personal particulars only) where applicable (please do not attach photocopy of all pages of passport.

OR

Copy of PIO card in case of PIO card holders along with documents submitted as proof of PIO status while obtaining PIO card (those who obtained PIO card on the basis of he/she being spouse of a PIO is not eligible for OCI scheme).

OR

Any other proof of PIO status i.e. Birth Certificate and Domicile Certificate/Land ownership Certificate issued by the competent authority in India along with copy of any other document as evidence of PIO status and sworn affidavit. Acceptance of application with such documents would depend on the authenticity verification or prior clearance from the authorities concerned as considered necessary.
* Copy of US or current nationality Passport. (Please attach copies of pages containing personal particulars only).
* Photocopies of all documents enclosed with the application may either be notarized or self attested i.e. signed by the applicant himself/herself.

>>Things marked in Red are not required, why to unnecessary complicate it guys? OCI instructions are very clear on the Application form

The procedure and steps varies between various consulates and embassies
one good example is NY requires two forms of residency proof (based on previous forum messages)
but the website doesn't explicitly say that

Photo requirements and size is another gray area

so People just trying to stuff as much as possible to avoid headache

>>Things marked in Red are not required, why to unnecessary complicate it guys? OCI instructions are very clear on the Application form

The procedure and steps varies between various consulates and embassies
one good example is NY requires two forms of residency proof (based on previous forum messages)
but the website doesn't explicitly say that

Photo requirements and size is another gray area
-------------- When you take printout of Part A it asks Photographs of 51X51 to be pasted (earlier it was 35X35mm). It means they accept US passport style Photographs.
I have seen the OCI application checklist from NYC consulate (that was sent when one of my friends file was sent back as he did not enclose two Proofs of US residency)
At this time Indian consulate NYC accept 35MMX35MM OR US Passport size photographs.

so People just trying to stuff as much as possible to avoid headache

----------

----------

I am including US passport style photographs. I will take my chances.

Proof of residence has become a recent requirement for NY. Some people got their apps returned after a month of submitting because of it. No harm including it.

Another thing I am doing, which I realize is completely contrary to logic and intution is that each app/2nd copy of app is complete in its own sense. This means a lot of duplication of attachments between apps, but I am confused as to what to attach with what to attach with which. I need to have this happen quickly for me so I cannot take any chances.

I am including US passport style photographs. I will take my chances.

Proof of residence has become a recent requirement for NY. Some people got their apps returned after a month of submitting because of it. No harm including it.

Another thing I am doing, which I realize is completely contrary to logic and intution is that each app/2nd copy of app is complete in its own sense.
------YES, Second Copy should have all the attachments that you attach with First Copy or First Set. Make SET1 and then make SET2. In SET 1 attach all the applications for all and att the attachments and under SET2 also attach all applications with all the attachments. SET 1 and SET2 should be SAME.
This means a lot of duplication of attachments between apps,
but I am confused as to what to attach with what to attach with which
------It has been replied to you and read Below..
I need to have this happen quickly for me so I cannot take any chances.
For YOU:
Part A (phot pasted US passport Size)with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill on your name and DL+ with part B+2 extra photos

For your Wife: Part- A (phot pasted US passport Size)with copy of US passport and Indian passport, TWO copies of Residence proof in USA (Utility bill and DL/ID )+ 2 Extra photo (Form B you can attach but not needed)

Child 1: PART- A,(phot pasted US passport Size) copy of US passport, Copy of birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2 extra photo (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

Child 2: PART- A, (phot pasted US passport Size)copy of US passport, Copy of Birth certificate, Copy of PIO Card Notarized, Copy of your Indian and US passport + 2extra photo+ (nothing wrong if you attach form B signed by you and your wife)

READ the sample cover letter that explains what to attach/

To, Date:
The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065

SUB: OCI applications for a Family (4 members)

Dear Sir/Madam,

1. Please find the FOUR applications for OCI (two sets of each application form A and form B and enclosures)
2. Bank Certified check of $XXXXfor OCI fees (Consolidated Fees check for 4 OCI Applications ($275+$275+$145 +145=XXXX)

SET 1
AMIT BACHPAN (primary applicant) -: USANI0XXXX (Form A, Form B, Copy of US passport, copy of Indian Passport and extra Photographs in envelope, Copy of Two Proof of Residency in USA)
JAYA BACHPAN (spouse): USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, Copy of US passport, copy of Indian Passport and extra Photographs in envelope, Copy of Two Proof of Residency in USA)
Abhishek Bachpan (Child) : USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, copy of valid US passport, copy of expired US passport , notarized copy of PIO Card and copy of US birth certificate and Photographs in envelope )
ASHYARIYA BACHPAN: (child) USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, copy of valid US passport, copy of expired US passport , notarized copy of PIO Card and copy of US birth certificate and Photographs in envelope )

SET 2
AMIT BACHPAN (primary applicant) -: USANI0XXXX (Form A, Form B, Copy of US passport, copy of Indian Passport and extra Photographs in envelope, Copy of Two Proof of Residency in USA)
JAYA BACHPAN (spouse): USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, Copy of US passport, copy of Indian Passport and extra Photographs in envelope Copy of Two Proof of Residency in USA,)
Abhishek Bachpan (Child) : USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, copy of valid US passport, copy of expired US passport , notarized copy of PIO Card and copy of US birth certificate and Photographs in envelope )
ASHYARIYA BACHPAN: (child) USANIXXXX (Form A, Form B, copy of valid US passport, copy of expired US passport , notarized copy of PIO Card and copy of US birth certificate and Photographs in envelope )

Please note that Photographs of each applicant are attached with SET 1 of each applicant in envelopes.

Sincerely,
Signature
Amit Bachpan
Addresss
Phone
Email:

READ the sample cover letter that explains what to attach/

Novel way of explaining Ginnu - Hats off to your contribution especially to OCI forum

BTW - you could included their family pictures :)

Thanks for all the help during the application process. I sent it in this weekend. Let us hope they respond quickly and dont request any extra documents etc.

Question, should I start checking for online status in 15 days or do they email you when status changes, etc.

Thanks for all the help during the application process. I sent it in this weekend. Let us hope they respond quickly and dont request any extra documents etc.

Question, should I start checking for online status in 15 days
----you can try. also check with your bank if your certified Check has been collocted by Consulate General of India New York
or do they email you
-----No they do not email
when status changes, etc.
Read below link
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...I-applications-with-Indian-consulate-New-York

Quick question folks.
All my utility accounts are in my name. is it okay to submit copies of those bills for my wife's application as proof of address?

Quick question folks.
All my utility accounts are in my name. is it okay to submit copies of those bills for my wife's application as proof of address?

if you are primary applicant you can attach utility bill with your application and your wife application. if she has state ID or DL then send copy of her ID or DL. Explain to them on cover letter that all the utility bills are on your name and not on your wife name as you aregoing to deal with Indian municipality .