Questions about the I94 allowable stay period?

belacut

Registered Users (C)
Immigration officer at Buffalo Rainbow bridge advised my Mom, she is only allowed to stay in US for a month. Otherwise, she will not be able to return to US in the next 10 years. However, when we are looking at her I94, they granted her I94 a full 6x months period. I go thru her entire passport and as well as the I94, there is no words about the one month stay.

I understand that if they only put a month on her I94, she has a month then. So, based on what ground an officer can do such thing?

I believe, US is a place who obey what the law said and should I take the officer's advice or should I take "black & white" on the I94.

My own opinion is, if we take this to the court, the court will only take what the evidence said, right?

Please share your thoughts............

It is possible that the officer decided to give your mother only a month on her I-94. However, when he stamped her I-94, he forgot to change the default date on his rubber stamp and thus stamped her I-94 for 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible that the officer decided to give your mother only a month on her i-94. However, when he stamped her I-94, he forgot to change the default date on his rubber stamp and thus stamped her I-94 for 6 months.

She crossed the Buffalo, NY Rainbow bridge border and her I94 is a computer printed out (We crossed that border to get our I94 for our H1b) They are all printout. Also, both the rubber stamps on the I94, the passport shows a 6m staying period.

So, I assume, it will not be an easy mistake to make in 3 different places all at once.

I know you are very knowledgeable and being around for quite sometime, have you ever heard about this before?

To be honest, I have not seen/heard of anything similar. I know of examples when an admission seeker was warned for making too many/frequent trips and this resulted in a restricted I-94. Once a guy I know was given a 3 day long I-94 with "No EOS/COS/AOS" written in red :)
However I have never comes across an example when an admission seeker was verbally told to leave within a month but still given a full I-94. I guess your mother can safely stay for 6 months.

1 or 6 months??

Can you guys please tell me if B would normally allow 1 or 6 month of stay on I94 these days? I heard different stories and got really confused. :(
My sister would enter from San Francisco Airport.