• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Questions about forms DSP-122 and DS-230

DV winner an marriage

I am from Australia and I am new on this forum and I had the good surprise to see a positive result few days ago from the DV lottery ( with a very low number )
I am completing the forms but have few questions and would really appreciate your help.

First question : I planned to get married next October in the US, but since I won the lottery, we chose to get married this week in order to simplify the situation and for filling the forms as a couple. Was I right ? ( we are living together for several months and our wedding is ordered since last November )

Second question : my wife would like to change her name. Because she is Italian and not from Australia, it will probably take few months. Shall we keep filling your forms with her maiden name until it is officially changed both in Australia and Italy?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Hi
MOmo...
my case number is 2014AS00005*** n i am from nepal bt currently living in london as i have already stated before..since i am planning to apply from here bt i am feared tht if my interview takes more than 1 year then it will b a great problem for me...since i have visa for london only upto april 2014...so do you think my case number is high n it will take more than 1 year...plz help me...
furthermore do i have to tick on 'yes' in social security number in form?
plj help

Hey Bini,

- Case number vis-a-vis interview date - from my analysis you would have your interview between February and May 2014 depending on how the case numbers progress.

- If your visa is due to expire in April 2014 then I suggest scheduling the interview in your home country or trying to obtain an extension on your visa through your school (I presume you're studying there).

- On the Social Security question you click yes when asked if you would like the Social Security Agency to issue you with an SSN.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me lol)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not Yet
Police Clearance - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Interviews - Hopefully in mid-August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in mid-August
Port of Entry - New York JFK

I am from Australia and I am new on this forum and I had the good surprise to see a positive result few days ago from the DV lottery ( with a very low number )
I am completing the forms but have few questions and would really appreciate your help.

First question : I planned to get married next October in the US, but since I won the lottery, we chose to get married this week in order to simplify the situation and for filling the forms as a couple. Was I right ? ( we are living together for several months and our wedding is ordered since last November )

Second question : my wife would like to change her name. Because she is Italian and not from Australia, it will probably take few months. Shall we keep filling your forms with her maiden name until it is officially changed both in Australia and Italy?

Thank you in advance for any advice

G'day mate. What you can do indeed is file the forms as a couple and present your legal marriage certificate during the interview.

Name of spouse - fill her forms with her maiden name (don't change this right now). Everything should match as per her passport details otherwise you'll be asked all kinds of questions.

Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Good Luck!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me lol)
2nd NL - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Port of Entry - New York JFK

Guys, I have one question regarding form DS230, Part I, on the page 2..
As I decided not to mention about my wife (because she is on J1 visa now), so point 31a I will leave blank..
But I would like to ask regarding point 31B, "who will follow you at a later date", shall I leave it blank too, in order not to affect my wife's ability to finish her training as she cant get waiver yet, or if I leave it blank she wont be ever able to accompany me even after her waiver?

If you are married and don't include your wife on the forms, you will be refused a visa since that's fraud. In fact, it can get you banned from the US for life.

Include your wife, and file a waiver for her if needed.

If you are married and don't include your wife on the forms, you will be refused a visa since that's fraud. In fact, it can get you banned from the US for life.

Include your wife, and file a waiver for her if needed.

thank you for your answer..
I am not telling I won't write her name at all..in the line of spouse name and details I will give all her information, but when in point 31A and 31B where it is written who will accompany me now and later, I am asking if I can leave them empty, can she still after 5-6 years receive GreenCard because of being my wife? (point 31B - who will join you at a later date - if i leave it blank)
Filing for waiver for her is now impossible as she still has 3 years of training on J1 visa.

Oh I see. To be honest I don't know how that works. You should contact the KCC and ask them just to be sure.

If they allow you to immigrate without your wife, you can then claim her separately (it will be unconnected to the DV). If I'm not mistaken, the current wait time for spouses of GC holders is about 3 years. So a visa number will be available to her at that point.

Guys, I have one question regarding form DS230, Part I, on the page 2..
As I decided not to mention about my wife (because she is on J1 visa now), so point 31a I will leave blank..
But I would like to ask regarding point 31B, "who will follow you at a later date", shall I leave it blank too, in order not to affect my wife's ability to finish her training as she cant get waiver yet, or if I leave it blank she wont be ever able to accompany me even after her waiver?

31A - Write none
31B - Write your wife's name

thank you for your answer..
I am not telling I won't write her name at all..in the line of spouse name and details I will give all her information, but when in point 31A and 31B where it is written who will accompany me now and later, I am asking if I can leave them empty, can she still after 5-6 years receive GreenCard because of being my wife? (point 31B - who will join you at a later date - if i leave it blank)
Filing for waiver for her is now impossible as she still has 3 years of training on J1 visa.

Since your wife has about 3 years left of her J visa and you don't want to jeopadize her training, I think you can go ahead as you've planned. If your interview is successful and you have an 'uninterrupted stay' in the US, you should be able to apply for citizenship in 5 years following your being an LPR. As a citizen you can now apply for your wife's GC which will be approved in a shorter period of time compared to the 2-3 years wait LPRs face when they apply for spouses.

Thanks a lot momo....I m back again..
Since I am applying on basis of my educational qualifications do I have to fill the employer name n job in no.7c of DSP-122...
Again I decided to be self petitioner so how much balance I have to show for me n my husband?...do they accept london bank balance although I give interview back home nepal?

Thanks a lot momo....I m back again..
Since I am applying on basis of my educational qualifications do I have to fill the employer name n job in no.7c of DSP-122...
Again I decided to be self petitioner so how much balance I have to show for me n my husband?...do they accept london bank balance although I give interview back home nepal?

Hello Bini,

I'm back too (been off the forum mostly the last few days because of work).

Put in your employer details as it tells the KCC your history/background and gives them a transparent picture of you.

As you are the self-petitioner, you should have between $10,000 and $20,000 saved up and a bank account in the UK is fine (I have a bank account in the UK as well but choose not to use it as I'm not based there).

Curiously if I may ask, what do you do? Where in London do you live? I lived in Willesden Green (NW2) for five years.

hi

Hello Bini,

I'm back too (been off the forum mostly the last few days because of work).

Put in your employer details as it tells the KCC your history/background and gives them a transparent picture of you.

As you are the self-petitioner, you should have between $10,000 and $20,000 saved up and a bank account in the UK is fine (I have a bank account in the UK as well but choose not to use it as I'm not based there).

Curiously if I may ask, what do you do? Where in London do you live? I lived in Willesden Green (NW2) for five years.

hi momo I am from Hounslow...n i work as a receptionist in a company...n thanks a lot for ur help

hi momo I am from Hounslow...n i work as a receptionist in a company...n thanks a lot for ur help

You're welcome Bini :)

I was a student there between 2000 and 2005 studying ACCA near London Bridge station.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

Also when you're prepping your forms, put your case number on the top right hand corner on each one. I didn't do this but apparently others have.

HOW CAN A STUDENT HAVE $10,000 and $15,000 IN HIS ACCOUNT?
READ THE SLECTEE REQUIREMENT FOR INTERVIEW THERE IS NO BANK STATEMENT THERE,I HAVE A UNCLE IN TEXAS WHO WENT THERE THROUGH DV LOTTERY THERE WAS NO BACK STATEMENT REQUIRED EXCEPT IS NOT A LOTTERY. NOW AM SINGLE I HAVE TO GET MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE RIGHT,IF YOU CANT READ HOW CAN U DEFEND YOURSELF?

HOW CAN A STUDENT HAVE $10,000 and $15,000 IN HIS ACCOUNT?
READ THE SLECTEE REQUIREMENT FOR INTERVIEW THERE IS NO BANK STATEMENT THERE,I HAVE A UNCLE IN TEXAS WHO WENT THERE THROUGH DV LOTTERY THERE WAS NO BACK STATEMENT REQUIRED EXCEPT IS NOT A LOTTERY. NOW AM SINGLE I HAVE TO GET MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE RIGHT,IF YOU CANT READ HOW CAN U DEFEND YOURSELF?

Joseph, if you read my posts I never referred to a student having $10,000 to $20,000.

Also, there's no need to be patronising or condescending by saying if I can't read how can I defend myself. The forum is about sharing thoughts and assisting one another in the DV process.

Yes the selectee requirement does not say anything about presenting bank statements at the interview BUT ask anyone on this forum and they will mention about taking bank statements to their interview. The concept is the same as for when one applies for a visitors' visa for the US or EU or UK in that they need to see evidence of funds.

Imagine yourself in a situation whereby you attend your interview and the consular officer asks you "how do you intend to support yourself whilst you look for employment?" or "how do you intend to support yourself and your family?" or "do you have evidence of funds?" and you have to stand there without any bank statements or proof. Get my drift? The risk is not worth it so it helps to have evidence of funds.

How your uncle got through is irrelevant because every case is unique and these days consular officers are more strict and exercise stringent judgement on whether or not applicants should be granted a DV visa.

The point being is that the US Government does not want DV selectees who will become a public charge and they need proof of this.

If you are a self-petitioner and paying your own way through the DV process then it is a given understanding that you need to show evidence of funds and these funds must meet the criteria of the US Poverty Guidelines (it's all there in black and white ink if you look at the document). If you don't have funds then you need an affidavit from the US in the form of an I-134 form or I-864 form whichever is applicable.

so sweet of you momo..u mentioned abt putting case number on the top eventhough i didn't ask...i really appreciate ur help..anyway i am not ever completely out of confusion so i am going to ask - do we have to send extra envelope to kcc as well..i reckon i have read somewhere abt sending extra envelope to kcc..n if we have to then do we have to write our address as well or just a blank envelope....thank u again:)
n good luck to u as well...hope we get interview soon n get visa n b tension free...finger crossed

Hi,
What is meant by petitioner in item 39 of form DS 230.
it is usually used for someone who is sponsoring your application. but it doesn't apply for the DV, does it?

i just notice i write only address by mistake :confused:
hope it doesn't make any problems and i can add it during interview

I also have done a present address error of ds-230, can i correct it at the interview??
This may be a big issue for the visa???

so sweet of you momo..u mentioned abt putting case number on the top eventhough i didn't ask...i really appreciate ur help..anyway i am not ever completely out of confusion so i am going to ask - do we have to send extra envelope to kcc as well..i reckon i have read somewhere abt sending extra envelope to kcc..n if we have to then do we have to write our address as well or just a blank envelope....thank u again:)
n good luck to u as well...hope we get interview soon n get visa n b tension free...finger crossed

Hello Bini,

You don't have to send an extra envelope according to my reading/knowledge. All correspondence from KCC will be via e-mail so when you have your 2nd NL it'll be via e-mail i.e. the KCC tell you to check your Entrant Status Check page by sending you an e-mail.

I wrote KCC's address on the envelope which contained my documents so it would be a norm to indicate this on your side as well. KCC address should be on the front of course and yours may be indicated on the back.

Unfortunately I didn't become current in July (Africa has reached 66,700) so I'm hoping August will be my month so I can get the interview out of the way and move forward. Thank you for your kind sentiments bini, God Bless you and your husband. I pray you'll both go through and please feel free to ask me anything.

i am a dv selecteee 2014 and i had a D+ in my K.C.S.E., I AM PERUSING A DIPLOMA RIGHT NOW AND I PRESUME I WLL AVE COMPLETED BEFORE MY INTERVIEW DATE...... HOW CAN YOU ADVICE?

i am a dv selecteee 2014 and i had a D+ in my K.C.S.E., I AM PERUSING A DIPLOMA RIGHT NOW AND I PRESUME I WLL AVE COMPLETED BEFORE MY INTERVIEW DATE...... HOW CAN YOU ADVICE?

Hey DANIELITO,

I am presuming KCSE means Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education? Am I correct? Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Do you have a high school diploma or are you referring to your diploma being a high school diploma? If you have a high school diploma before your interview then you do meet the minimum education requirement.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Port of Entry - New York JFK or Washington Dulles