Questioning after entry with new passport

wentrealfast

Registered Users (C)
Im curious to find out if anyone else has had the following experience and if so, what specific actions you might have taken as a result...

Upon entry with my new passport (was naturalized 2 months ago), I was asked at the port of entry as to the whereabouts of my green card by the first border agent I encountered clearing customs. I told him that green cards are surrendered prior to naturalization. His response to me was that I ought to obtain some documentation to that affect so that "next time I dont have to go through this process."

I was asked to move to the secondary screening station where an agent asked me the very same question. I replied in the same way but by this point, I was a bit frustrated and may not have responsed in a manner she felt appropriate and was scolded with - "some people keep Green Cards as souveniers." I restated again that I dont have my Green Card and that it had been surrendered as required at the nat ceremony.

I was then red flagged which meant I got the honor of being searched and questioned by the final customs agent. At this point, I was asked a series of questions about the purpose of my travel and what I had brought back with me. He looked through my computer bag and asked me about my employment. After he completed his questions I inquired how in heavens name could the computer system say I have not relinquished my Green Card and what specifically about me warranted the extended inquiry. He was nice enough and said fact is that it happens once in a while that the system is not appropriately updated and that as such, I was subjected to the extra inquiry.

Searching through the forum I found a similar report by desi 2004 in July. Im curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same and if so, did you contact anyone to see what one can do to deal with the missing GC?

Thanks in advance

A friend of mine who got his passport for over 10 years, and had numerous international travels. Last year when he entered US from London, he was asked "where's your green card" question. He answered "is that a trick question? as an immigration officer, you should know where GC goes after naturalization", and the guy let him in.

I cannot believe you guys had such expereinces. I mean what is the point of having an American passport if you are going to be treated in such a way, not to mention is it not the whole point of becoming a Citizen to not have the GC anymore. One wonders how these people get a job at Immigration when they are not aware of their own rules!!

wentrealfast said:
Im curious to find out if anyone else has had the following experience and if so, what specific actions you might have taken as a result...

Upon entry with my new passport (was naturalized 2 months ago), I was asked at the port of entry as to the whereabouts of my green card by the first border agent I encountered clearing customs. I told him that green cards are surrendered prior to naturalization. His response to me was that I ought to obtain some documentation to that affect so that "next time I dont have to go through this process."

I was asked to move to the secondary screening station where an agent asked me the very same question. I replied in the same way but by this point, I was a bit frustrated and may not have responsed in a manner she felt appropriate and was scolded with - "some people keep Green Cards as souveniers." I restated again that I dont have my Green Card and that it had been surrendered as required at the nat ceremony.

I was then red flagged which meant I got the honor of being searched and questioned by the final customs agent. At this point, I was asked a series of questions about the purpose of my travel and what I had brought back with me. He looked through my computer bag and asked me about my employment. After he completed his questions I inquired how in heavens name could the computer system say I have not relinquished my Green Card and what specifically about me warranted the extended inquiry. He was nice enough and said fact is that it happens once in a while that the system is not appropriately updated and that as such, I was subjected to the extra inquiry.

Searching through the forum I found a similar report by desi 2004 in July. Im curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same and if so, did you contact anyone to see what one can do to deal with the missing GC?

Thanks in advance

Like I was afraid we will never get rid of these s.o.b. from immigration.
The proper answer from a "real American" (I mean, natural born American) will be to their question "F...Y..." but they, I believe, are never asked this kind of question.
What happens, when they scan the Passport it shows all our history there? Or Passports of Naturalized citizens have a little "bug" that trigger those imbecils attention?
Why they don't make us to have distinctive sign on our clothes like it happened in other times in other places..so everybody can see who we are?
And the sad part is that the imbecils who are making our life miserable are high school drop-outs, iliterats who weren't able to do anything in life and now, are in the posiition to CONTROL people and to "enforce the immigration law"
:D :D :D

Something similar happened to me...

when I got my permanent green card. I adjusted through marriage and had a conditional GC. About 4 months after my I-751 interview (received permanent GC about 2 weeks later) my husband & I went to Canada. On the way back, I got stopped and they kept asking me what happened to my conditional GC. I told them that the immigration officer who interviewed me & my husband took at the intervew. I never go searched or anything but the process did take like 30 minutes. I asked the border officers and they said that this actually happens pretty frequently and that when a card is turned in it does not show up in the system. It actually got me and my husband wondering if some immigration officers are selling old GCs!!

wentrealfast said:
I told him that green cards are surrendered prior to naturalization. ... - "some people keep Green Cards as souveniers."
Is it possible to get a receipt from CIS when I surrender my green card at the oath ceremony?

What??????????? I can't believe that. Wow, I would have told him to "shove it"; not literally, but in so many words. You are a U.S. citizen, so what kind of b/s spiel is that? I would at least file an official complaint not only with their supervisor(s), but also with USCIS' complaint division in D.C.

wentrealfast said:
He was nice enough and said fact is that it happens once in a while that the system is not appropriately updated and that as such, I was subjected to the extra inquiry.
Apparently there was an error in the computer record. The guy was just doing his job.

My friend became naturalized citizen a year ago. And after his first visit outside US, he got questioned at POE. Questions how did you get the green card, how long you were outside,what purpose of your trip, what do you do for living... He has a flooring business in US, and you would not believe, some questions were ..." did you bring money from your country to start the business or you earned it here in US".
That is the reality. Naturalized citizen != Born citizen. Period. You might get mad, might be "What the f...", but that is the fact. Just get through it and go on with your life...few questions should not get you upset.

Would / Could an immigration officer deny a US passport holder to return to US? (of course, they would keep asking all crappy questions, but the bottom line is, can they deny a naturalized citizen to return to US?)

JoeF said:
No. A US citizen has the right to enter the country.

I assume when you said "A US Citizen" means for both america born citizen and naturalized born citizen, correct?

i know they have the right to deny entry for a PR, but not to US citizen. i just want to make sure my right when I use my US passport to return back to US.

ocworker said:
I assume when you said "A US Citizen" means for both america born citizen and naturalized born citizen, correct?
QUOTE]

You see, including our way of thinking encourages these s.o.b.'s to act like that. You even shouldn't have asked this question.

As far as I know, the only right we don't have in comparison with born American citizen is the right to become president on the US.

Otherwise the servants in uniform at the ports of entry should't treat us diferently.

merovingian said:
My friend became naturalized citizen a year ago. And after his first visit outside US, he got questioned at POE. Questions how did you get the green card, how long you were outside,what purpose of your trip, what do you do for living... He has a flooring business in US, and you would not believe, some questions were ..." did you bring money from your country to start the business or you earned it here in US".
That is the reality. Naturalized citizen != Born citizen. Period. You might get mad, might be "What the f...", but that is the fact. Just get through it and go on with your life...few questions should not get you upset.

i guess if i would have a kid after i married, i could not wait till he/she to grow up and try to tell the officer in POE to back off :D

Suzy977 said:
ocworker said:
QUOTE]

You see, including our way of thinking encourages these s.o.b.'s to act like that. You even shouldn't have asked this question.

As far as I know, the only right we don't have in comparison with born American citizen is the right to become president on the US.

Otherwise the servants in uniform at the ports of entry should't treat us diferently.

ok. may be i should not have asked, but i did. ok...next ..

ocworker said:
ok. may be i should not have asked, but i did. ok...next ..

My affirmation wasn't against you, was just a general remark. Most of us, including myself, at a certain point in time have this doubt: A naturalized American Citizen is really equal to a born American citizen?

Thanks for posting your experience Anahit. Out of curiousity, have you and your daughter travelled outside the US since this event and if so, was she asked the same question?

Just thought I'd comment on some of the things mentioned in this thread as they relate to citizenship earned via naturalization vs those who are born in the US.

As all of you know, the government can impose restrictions on the rights of citizens, whether you are born in the US or whether naturalized. For instance, the right to vote can be revoked for certain crimes...the fact that you were born in the US does not remedy this restriction on one's rights.

Merovingian - the reason your friend was questioned as he was I believe relates to how border agents attempt to determine whether duty must be levied. I was asked questions about my business trip that gave me this impression...but of course, I could be wrong.

The thing that concerns me and the reason I posted this message is not the fact I was questioned about my trip or my business overseas. Frankly, it's the law and unless Congress changes it, everyone is subject to such searches. I am more concerned about what the first border agent said - that I ought to have some documentary evidence that in fact my GC was relinquished.

Next week, I will contact BCP and assuming I discover something of use, I will report back on this forum.

wentrealfast said:
Just thought I'd comment on some of the things mentioned in this thread as they relate to citizenship earned via naturalization vs those who are born in the US.

As all of you know, the government can impose restrictions on the rights of citizens, whether you are born in the US or whether naturalized. For instance, the right to vote can be revoked for certain crimes...the fact that you were born in the US does not remedy this restriction on one's rights.

Merovingian - the reason your friend was questioned as he was I believe relates to how border agents attempt to determine whether duty must be levied. I was asked questions about my business trip that gave me this impression...but of course, I could be wrong.

The thing that concerns me and the reason I posted this message is not the fact I was questioned about my trip or my business overseas. Frankly, it's the law and unless Congress changes it, everyone is subject to such searches. I am more concerned about what the first border agent said - that I ought to have some documentary evidence that in fact my GC was relinquished.

Next week, I will contact BCP and assuming I discover something of use, I will report back on this forum.

i am going to travel to oversea in feb and return back in march. I will report my experience on the first time using the new passport.

i remember the person in POE only asked me how long i was away, and where I went for my vacation. however, i was just a gc holder (i never had asked too many questions or spent more than 3 mins in the counter with the POE officers in the airport. however, i am always the first 10-15 people who get out the plane because i normally take either business or first class to oversea, then by the time i get to the counter, there really has not many people waiting at all).

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
That is also irrelevant. A US citizen doesn't need to care if CIS can't get their act together and enter these things in their computer system.
You are a US citizen now. CIS does not have control over you anymore.

i agree with you.