Questioning after entry with new passport

wentrealfast said:
Thanks for posting your experience Anahit. Out of curiousity, have you and your daughter travelled outside the US since this event and if so, was she asked the same question?
You're welcome.
No, we haven't traveled after that.

Joe,

Unfortunately it is not irrelevant - since border agents have asked me and as you can see have asked others as to the location of their green card. Assuming this relates to a broken records maintenance system, I think it makes sense to collect information before one takes a US agency to task. I certainly could have made a big stink about the utter stupidity of the question but I figured it would be better to actually see if this is an isolated instance. It clearly is not and now that I am armed with more info, I plan on holding their feet to the fire...because as best as I recall, I was the only shmuck asked to pass through the red line --- no one else was being directed that way.

Ill let everyone know what I learn next week.

I will have some update on wednesday as I fly back to US with my new US passport for the very first time.

bobbyz said:
I will have some update on wednesday as I fly back to US with my new US passport for the very first time.

don;t forget to tell us about which is your POE. have fun!

I would love to have a POE agent question me on my GC after I get my citizenship. If they ask me how I got my GC, my response would be "I don't recall". If they ask me where my GC is, it would be "I don't know". JoeF is absolutely correct, no need to be intimidated by them. Of course, if the agent is nice and just doing his/her job, you can be nice, but if they are just trying to be ass*****, you can fire right back at them.

:)
This isnt about an immigrant mindset - Ive lived in the US for nearly 30 years. We can have the attitude of stick it up your ass when it comes to border agents, and frankly they have no recourse but to let us through, but why piss them off more than you have to :)

I just spoke with Border/Customs. Basically the guy I spoke with said the situation is common and that they've received many complaints and are working to address the problem. It all boils down to a poorly designed and maintained system that takes a while to update information once a person is naturalized.

Ill be travelling again next month overseas and if it happens again, he said that I could make a formal request to correct the information in writing.

Bottom line - they are aware of the problem and I was not the first to contact them.

wentrealfast said:
I just spoke with Border/Customs. Basically the guy I spoke with said the situation is common and that they've received many complaints and are working to address the problem. It all boils down to a poorly designed and maintained system that takes a while to update information once a person is naturalized.

Ill be travelling again next month overseas and if it happens again, he said that I could make a formal request to correct the information in writing.

Bottom line - they are aware of the problem and I was not the first to contact them.

Well, my experience was totally different... got naturalized and travelled 4 days later. Upon returning the immigration officer checked my passport, typed something in the computer and gave it back to me saying "happy to be the first one to welcome you as a citizen"... nice touch, made my day and after the whole naturalization process going as well as it went with me I think they may be in the right track. Hopefully the experiences I had will be somewhat common to everyone in the near future.

Cheers

Million Dollars question...

I think the million dollars question here is, what if you travel outside the USA first time after getting your passport. Say you lose your passport in that country. You go to the nearest U.S. Consulate and they start asking you that where is you G.C? We don't show you as US citizen in our system, which I'm sure will be updated after all the computers at the POE. ;)
Are you S**t out of luck or what? :p

Punjabi Munda,

You always need to keep a copy of yours and your family memebers passport, GC etc.

JoeF

Why they don't allow to keep the GC? I can keep EAD why not GC?

JoeF said:
Make a copy of the naturalization certificate, and take that with you...

or make a copy of the passport too. Doesn't it say naturalization cert can't be duplicated (unless instructed by authority .. or something like that)? i know the make copy of naturalization cert has been discussed it lot of times.

well, i will make a copy of both :)

wentrealfast said:

man... isn't their job to get it updated? too bad.. so sad.. if they know the system has issue and not update the info in a timely manner, it won't be my fault for not answering the question about where my greencard is.

Punjabi_Munda said:
I think the million dollars question here is, what if you travel outside the USA first time after getting your passport. Say you lose your passport in that country. You go to the nearest U.S. Consulate and they start asking you that where is you G.C? We don't show you as US citizen in our system, which I'm sure will be updated after all the computers at the POE. ;)
Are you S**t out of luck or what? :p

You can also make a copy of your passport and take it with you while travelling internationally (it also helps if you can remember your passport number). It is not difficult for a US consulate to verify if you are a USC or not via the U.S State Department (it may take them a few hours).

Last edited by a moderator:
What I do also is to keep a protected PDF copy of the Passport and the Naturalization certificate in a web storage service (there are some free ones) as well as in my website. You can't forget your encryption key although.... :D

PDF is quite secure and use a non suspicious name like family pictures or something like that so that a hacker won't be attracted to it just by the name.

PDF readers are available everywhere and in case you need you cand download and print from the web.

Just a suggestion for the tech savvy.

Cheers

What I do also is to keep a protected PDF copy of the Passport and the Naturalization certificate in a web storage service (there are some free ones) as well as in my website. You can't forget your encryption key although....

PDF is quite secure and use a non suspicious name like family pictures or something like that so that a hacker won't be attracted to it just by the name.

PDF readers are available everywhere and in case you need you cand download and print from the web.

or you can copy all these files on a flash drive and carry it around your neck. luizpaulo, what is a good way to encrypt this data? anyone else?

zeeman said:
What I do also is to keep a protected PDF copy of the Passport and the Naturalization certificate in a web storage service (there are some free ones) as well as in my website. You can't forget your encryption key although....

or you can copy all these files on a flash drive and carry it around your neck. luizpaulo, what is a good way to encrypt this data? anyone else?

i used to use PGP. I do not use it anymore (basically i have nothing to encrypt).

My experience using new passport for the first time

Just came back to US last night using my US passport for the very first time. No issues at all at LA International airport. No questions at all, not even things like "How long have you been outside the country", "Was it personal or business trip". Only scan of the passport and "Welcome back home" and that's it.