Question

Junoon123

Registered Users (C)
This was 2 months ago i took a letter from both client and consulting company for my TN but i was told by the officer that you can only get TN if you are on the company's payroll, so client cannot issue you a TN since you will be on a consulting company;s payroll. I am just wondering did anything change?

It was my understanding that a client or a consulting company can issue you visas? OR was the officer wrong?
Thanks

If you are on a comapny payroll, then, yes, they should be getting you a TN. The client is not YOUR client so cannot sponsor you.

You as the worker can choose the relationship with a client. in this case YOU chose to go thru a consulting firm, as their employee, so they must ge you TN.
Next time, for your own clients, get your TN thru clients.

Quick question so around a decade ago or so when i first came to the US. I was consulting for a client through a consulting company(paycheck from consulting company 1099). The consulting company did not had a presence in the US so the lawyer told me that i can get a TN through the client and still get my paycheck 1099 from the consulting company however i can only work for the paticular client. The client pays the consulting company who then issues me a TN??..
Were they wrong?
Thanks

No, becasue the employer was not a US firm. Obviously, TNs can only be sponsored by US entities.

Thanks so in other words US Client can provide you with a TN letter even if you are working through a consulting company for that particular client provided the consulting company is not a US Base entity in this case Canadian?
Thanks

US client would HAVE TO sponsor you in this case. This would also be true if the consulting firm was a US-base firm controlled by you. Otherwise, the sponsor should always be the employer.