Question on SS card

greencardwait02

Registered Users (C)
hi all,
my current Social security card has a stamp which says says that i need a permit for emplyment. Now that i have the GC approval how can i get this removed from the card. Any information would be appreicated
thanks

If you have plenty of free time to wait in line at SS office, go ahead get a new card. But, other than making you feel good, this card will be as useless as junk mail. Gone were the days when you could show the card a get a small time job. Nobody asks for SS card now-a-days, SS card is not a document required for I-9 employment authorization.

greencardwait02 said:
hi all,
my current Social security card has a stamp which says says that i need a permit for emplyment. Now that i have the GC approval how can i get this removed from the card. Any information would be appreicated
thanks

Would be better for your records to go to the Social Security Administration office and file for a new card citing your GC status. Even though another friend here suggested it is of no use, why do you want to get into any kind of issue when all you need to do is to file for a new card which will remove the INS permit for employment crap. It is up to you to decide and do what you deem best, my suggestion is go ahead and make the change to your SS card, you never know who would check what and when. I am just trying to tell you that keep everything clean with your records, this is something within your control which you can do though.
Just my $0.02.

Still it's better to have it. Reasons:

1. unemployment insurance benefit
2. retirement benefit

It is important to get a clean SS card after being approved. For instance, if you like to buy property, every lender requests a photocopy of SS card, and INS stamp may be an issue in assigining interest rate.
So, go stay in line and file for renewal.

thank you all

for the advice. i am inclined to go get a new card issued - hopefully that wont change my SS number as my entire credit history is tied to that...

>Nope, don't worry about that. There's no way you are ever getting a new SSN legally.

Unless you're on witness protection :)

this is not true.
rather 100% untrue.

at the most, the lenders ask for copy of DL and Green Card. the interest rates are also not linked to this. Most programs have same rates for Citizen, PR and H1. Some banks don't entertain H1. But SS card... no relationship. (I know all this because I work in this industry). So far I heard one bank asking for the SS card but they didn't insist after they were given a copy of GC. Not a major lender though.

In fact, if you just tear down your SS card, you will not feel anything missing. What is important is the number on the card not the card itself.

ND022202 said:
It is important to get a clean SS card after being approved. For instance, if you like to buy property, every lender requests a photocopy of SS card, and INS stamp may be an issue in assigining interest rate.

I am not sure about unemployment insurance thing. Do they really check SS card?

regarding retirement (isn't it too early for that... ).... who and why one would check SS card?

pralay said:
Still it's better to have it. Reasons:

1. unemployment insurance benefit
2. retirement benefit

As I said before, if you have time you can go get it to make you feel good. there is absolutely no downside of getting a new one (other than spending half day in line).

Last edited by a moderator:
goodsaint said:
this is not true.
rather 100% untrue.

at the most, the lenders ask for copy of DL and Green Card. the interest rates are also not linked to this. Most programs have same rates for Citizen, PR and H1. Some banks don't entertain H1. But SS card... no relationship. (I know all this because I work in this industry). So far I heard one bank asking for the SS card but they didn't insist after they were given a copy of GC. Not a major lender though.

<...>
goodsaint, I am a wittness of changing interest rates after question about green card :). Actually, lenders require two different types of identification, can be one DL and one SSN (for AOS people like most of us here). SSN card itself, of course, does not matter, but INS stamp on it rises questions and requires further explanations.

Probably you went to a wrong one...
if you go to these big banks directly you end of paying higher interest and they ask for lots of documentation ... make you beg for the loan....

have you heard that banks give loan (and charge the lowest rate) without even asking for at your paystub, w2 etc. (let alone SS card) ... no documentation at all... if you are working and your credit score is good? you just have to know where to go.

SS card is not part of the list of documents required by the banks. copy of H1 or green card is almost always asked...

ND022202 said:
I am a wittness of changing interest rates after question about green card. Actually, lenders require two different types of identification, can be one DL and one SSN (for AOS people like most of us here). SSN card, of course, does not matter, INS stamp on it rises questions and requires further explanations.

ND022202 said:

Not true at all. I bought a house four years ago and refinanced twice since then and I have never been asked to show my SSN card. In fact, nobody has ever asked to see my SSN card since arriving in the USA in 1994. (As for getting a decent rate, it depends a lot more on your credit history than your status - I originally showed my visa, then more recently my 485 pending documents.)

i have not had a problem with lenders too

i too bought a house and have refinanced twice and have never had my interest rate linked to the card - in fact i have never been asked for the card while i went through the entire mortgage process or any immigration documents..

goodsaint said:
Probably you went to a wrong one...
if you go to these big banks directly you end of paying higher interest and they ask for lots of documentation ... make you beg for the loan....

have you heard that banks give loan (and charge the lowest rate) without even asking for at your paystub, w2 etc. (let alone SS card) ... no documentation at all... if you are working and your credit score is good? you just have to know where to go.

SS card is not part of the list of documents required by the banks. copy of H1 or green card is almost always asked...
SS card is one legal type of ID, everybody knows that, while 485 receipts and other papers are not. So, if you do not have a plastic GC, you provide a copy of SS card plus DL.
BTW, when you notirize lending papers, notary public should see originals of your IDs. If you did not show while you were signing papers, this is in violation of law :).
I agree there are programs where you go "stated income", means no stubs, but you will pay extra :).
And, of course, if you put decent 20+% down, you got less questions, but if you try smth close to "no money down", here you are.

wik said:
Not true at all. I bought a house four years ago and refinanced twice since then and I have never been asked to show my SSN card. In fact, nobody has ever asked to see my SSN card since arriving in the USA in 1994. (As for getting a decent rate, it depends a lot more on your credit history than your status - I originally showed my visa, then more recently my 485 pending documents.)

Before you quote someone as posting untrue information, think twice.
I have posted what I wittnessed myself, if your experience is different, you are free to post it as your own experience.

greencardwait02 said:
i too bought a house and have refinanced twice and have never had my interest rate linked to the card - in fact i have never been asked for the card while i went through the entire mortgage process or any immigration documents..

What did you answer to the questions on your mortgage application:
"Are you a US citizen?"
"Are you a US permanant resident?"

wik said:

wik,
we all know every lending companies have their own way to handling cases, depends on the person who is handling too. When I first landed on USA, one bank did not give me credit card. On the other hand, another bank very next to that bank gave me credit card. One bank's action does not make another bank's action untruth (or "lie" for that matter).

greencardwaiter02,
well, you were lucky, because for a 485 adjustee working on EAD, say with expired H1 visa, you have to answer "no" two times. Which rises question, like, are you in legal status at all?
Anyway, I'd rather respect SS card more than some other members on this forum, and will go and clean it up one day after my wait for GC is over.

1. DL alone is just fine for the notary. In fact notary will not except SS card as ID. You need either US passport, DL, GC (something with photo on it).
2. I was not talking about states income loan where you pay extra.
3. This program is available even if you put down 5%. No money down is fine too (same rate but pay stub and w2 are required).

the point is that just because some crook asked you to show SS card does not make it a universal truth that this document is required. I have bought and sold 3 houses, refinanced 20 times, ran a business... have done lots of sane/insane things in last 10 years. And, I don't remember if I even have this card. Nobody ever asked me and if someone asks me in future, i am going to do a number on his head.

ND022202 said:
SS card is one legal type of ID, everybody knows that, while 485 receipts and other papers are not. So, if you do not have a plastic GC, you provide a copy of SS card plus DL.
BTW, when you notirize lending papers, notary public should see originals of your IDs. If you did not show while you were signing papers, this is in violation of law :).
I agree there are programs where you go "stated income", means no stubs, but you will pay extra :).
And, of course, if you put decent 20+% down, you got less questions, but if you try smth close to "no money down", here you are.