Question on SS card

ND022202 said:
What did you answer to the questions on your mortgage application:
"Are you a US citizen?"
"Are you a US permanant resident?"

In may case, I answered the truth: No.

But I also wrote 'pending' next to the US PR question, and supplied a copy of my approved I-140 Notice, and my I-485 Notice.

It didn't seem to cause any questions or concerns with my mortgage broker.

goodsaint said:
<...>
the point is that just because some crook asked you to show SS card does not make it a universal truth that this document is required. I have bought and sold 3 houses, ran a business... have done lots of sane/insane things in last 10 years. And, I don't remember if I even has this card. Nobody ever asked me and if someone asks me in future, i am going to do a number on his head.

goodsaint,
no doubt you are a smart person, but (1) the person asking was not a crook, (2) INS stamp on SS card just indicates that you are not a citizen or PR, which requires further explanation in case you need to show the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people we interect with have close to zero knowledge about immigration. This is one of the reason they keep asking things they should not be asking (because they are afraid to make mistakes and get into trouble). We need to educate these people from time to time (and thats what I do).

DL issued by DMV is an ID legally acceptable everywhere. If you have GC card, thats also a valid id in itself. If the organization asks for secondary ID, show them either your credit card or passport.

ND022202 said:
goodsaint,
no doubt you are a smart person, but (1) that person was not a crook, (2) INS stamp on SS card just indicates that you are not a citizen or PR, which requires further explanation in case you need to show the card.

I agree, regular clerk knows very little about immigration, and I was surprised that anything besides my credit score matters for a lender. But I believe, I could get a better rate in a specific timeframe, if I were a solid PR with plastic GC (and clean SS card :)).
BTW, passport was a valid choice, indeed, except that it shows visa and I-94 expired, so I opted for SS card :).