Question on in Correct Name on Green card

gc_2808

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have recieved green card a month ago and found last two letters missing in my first name . In fact my name is little lengthy.
I have seen the same problem in my I485 receipt and approval notices. I went to local office and asked the officer to verify my name in their system . Office told me that the same (incorrect name) was feeded in their system also. So will this come under Option "D" (USCIS administrative error) in form I-90. Will this scenario comes uner USCIS administrive error?

When I call to USICS customer service they asked me to send a proof of submitted I-485 application copy as my I-485 receipt did not have correct name and no fee is required?

How will they decide whether it is USCIS administrative error or not? If it is not USCIS error, how they respond to me ?
Can any one suggest me whether should I send a check with fee of $70 (reqd. for options other than "b" ,"d" ) along with I-90 or not?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Harsha

gc_2808 said:
Hi,
I have recieved green card a month ago and found last two letters missing in my first name . In fact my name is little lengthy.
I have seen the same problem in my I485 receipt and approval notices. I went to local office and asked the officer to verify my name in their system . Office told me that the same (incorrect name) was feeded in their system also. So will this come under Option "D" (USCIS administrative error) in form I-90. Will this scenario comes uner USCIS administrive error?

When I call to USICS customer service they asked me to send a proof of submitted I-485 application copy as my I-485 receipt did not have correct name and no fee is required?

How will they decide whether it is USCIS administrative error or not? If it is not USCIS error, how they respond to me ?
Can any one suggest me whether should I send a check with fee of $70 (reqd. for options other than "b" ,"d" ) along with I-90 or not?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Harsha
1 your I-485 filing receipt and I-485 approval notice both have incorrect name. I suspect that your lawyer who filed form I-485 wrote your incorrect name on the form. Check the copy of I-485 form that was sent to USCIS. If that form has incorrect info then you may have to pay the fee
2 if you don’t pay the fee now and USCIS finds that it is not mistake on USCIS part then they will send letter to pay the fees.
3 what about the EAD AP in past? If EAD and AP also had incorrect name then I am sure it was mistake on I-485 form.
4 try to find the copy of I-485 form that was submitted to USCIS and have a look at it then decide if it is USCIS mistake or mistake by lawyer.
5 if filing I-90 for USCIS mistake no fee, if your or lawyer mistake on form I-485 then pay the fees (read instructions for sending form I-90) you also need to send your CARD

Thanks for the reply ginnu.
I have the same in correct name in my EAD, Travel docuemnt and even my I-94 also. When I asked my lawyer, she said my name is lengthy which can not fit in and it is not a big thing.
But I am sure that the submitted applications of I-485, I765,Biographic has correct name as I signed on the applications .
I did not take it serious when my EAD , and receipts had incorrect name as my lawyer told that it is not a big thing.
But now I don't want to take risk in future as it is a Green card.
I am thinking sending I-90 without fee intially and then I will wait for the reply from USCIS.
Another thing is while giving finger prints in ASC, my correct name was feeded in the system.
Now I came to know about the problems when the name is lengthy :-(
In fact my name has 27 characters including spaces.

Thanks once agiain for your reply.

- Harsha

well it does not matter if ur name is 27 or 100,its uscis headache to figure out how to get your name right in their system.
anyways uscis is creating unnecessary issues with my i90(renewal after 10 yrs) as my name was wrong on the gc and when i called 1800,those fools told me that i could wait till citizenship and have it changed.anyways ,dont send them a check if you are sure that it is their mistake.there is no way uscis will refund u the money..well 200 bucks aint tht big of a deal...but i dont know what 70$ are u talking about...
whats ur d.o?

b.t.w i just counted mine its 23 :D ...thts the reason they put your middle initial.
plz get it rectified now,else it is a definite bottleneck in the future.

gc_2808 said:
Thanks for the reply ginnu.
I have the same in correct name in my EAD, Travel docuemnt and even my I-94 also. When I asked my lawyer, she said my name is lengthy which can not fit in and it is not a big thing.
But I am sure that the submitted applications of I-485, I765,Biographic has correct name as I signed on the applications .
I did not take it serious when my EAD , and receipts had incorrect name as my lawyer told that it is not a big thing.
But now I don't want to take risk in future as it is a Green card.
I am thinking sending I-90 without fee intially and then I will wait for the reply from USCIS.
Another thing is while giving finger prints in ASC, my correct name was feeded in the system.
Now I came to know about the problems when the name is lengthy :-(
In fact my name has 27 characters including spaces.

Thanks once agiain for your reply.

- Harsha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi H'town,
Thanks for the reply. You are correct the fee is $260. But i am not bothering about fees. But if I send it USCIS might assume that it is not mistake from their side and then they restart the finger prints and other process which will take more time even though it was completed previously.
That is the reason why I dont want to send check.

Thanks
Harsha

gc_2808:

I have a similar problem with my GC. My first name is shortened as an initial (for eg, instead of John Smith, my name is entered as J Smith on my GC).

I didn't use I90 to send the GC as I realized that I would be waiting for ever to get it corrected. In the mean time, I made a visit to India this past January and came back in Feb. At the POE, the immigration officer didn't
bother to see the missing letters in my first name even though he asked for my passport for verification.

I myself volunteered to ask him if it is okay to have my first name truncated and he said he didn't care as long as the finger print and the picture on the GC matched my biometrics. I asked him if I would need to get it corrected and he said he wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't worry and be happy. You should be okay if you didn't get it corrected.

I suspect the data entry operator why types the info for the purpose of
printing GC, is too lazy OR thinks he/she is underpaid OR actually the name wouldn't fit in the computer (if USCIS uses this excuse then it is bull).

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//
I am not a lawyer and not planning to be one. Getting advise from a competent lawyer is strongly adviseable.

hey howdy,
good to hear that you did not have any problem at POE.But plz dont be surprised when u apply for n400(citizenship) or I90.Unfortunately your happiness is short lived my friend :D .
just messing around,i like ur nick name....anyways
i went to india 5 times,germany 4 times,england twice and once in singapore(on vacation) ever since i got gc(back in 95),i never had a problem..i applied for re-entry permit twice every one said it is not big of a deal....when i called 1-800 number they said no problem at alll...change it when u apply for citizenship.
The problem started in 2004 october when i tried to renew my DL,they said my name does not match and they need additional info.anyway i had tht sorted out and called 1800(uscis),they said no big deal.
Then when i applied for I90,uscis suddenly realized the problem with my name...
the thing is my first name is ******* and my last name is #######,on gc they had my first name as ###### and last name as ******.
they had my first name as my last name and my last name as my first name.
Now when i went to asc for fp,they wouldnt let me have my fp,coz they said i was not the person on the gc.I was pissed man.i showed them my scholl transcripts,my indian DL,a copy of my birth certificate....
i told them i can have a affidavit from my sister stating that it infact is me .
The only reply was get your birth certificate,so i dashed home got back with my original BC....
Then they said my birth certificate is fake.Yes sir and i am not making this up.They gave me 87 days time to contact the indian embassy and get a letter stating that i am infact ####.
luckily indian embassy is in houston.When i went to indian embassy they said tht bc is infact original,but they need a affidavit from my parents stating that i am their son.
this is inspite me going to asc voluntering for my fp...and i had my fp done in 95 too...cant these ppl figure out if a guy is different his fp will not match(i even told this to them,anyways.)
So i buzzed my parents in bangalore who promptly mailed me a affidavit in a weeks time thanks to fedex ;) ....
next i had the affidavit attested by indian embassy.
in the meanwhile my citizenship application was moving simultaneously and i had to go to the same asc for fp.
they tried to create the same problem and i was not prepared to hear anything from these ppl.i got pissed man,fortunately there was another supervisor who realized what was going on and told the dumb clerk that there is no reason why my application should face delay(this is for n400 not I90) as i had requested for a name change in n400...tht is the easiest way to have a person's name change in america(n400 application).
i had all the docs with me for i90 but i delayed it purposefully as i had 87 days time.
now after my fp for n400 (citizenship),i was scheduled for a interview and i passed the interview and the officer told me most probably i will be scheduled for citizenship this month(june.)
after all the assurances from her,i wanted to make sure the i90 guys(asc) get a good feedback from me(it was nothing but a matter of racial profiling)..so i went back to the asc directly to the supervisor and told him to withdraw my application...
i told him my n400 was approved...hahahhaa....he convinced me that i should go through i90 and without any doc's cleared the path for i90....

now do u want to go through all this after 10 years or 3 years...its upto u to decide.
better have it done now...than in 10 years saying its not you :eek:

have fun

howdy_howdy said:
gc_2808:

I have a similar problem with my GC. My first name is shortened as an initial (for eg, instead of John Smith, my name is entered as J Smith on my GC).

I didn't use I90 to send the GC as I realized that I would be waiting for ever to get it corrected. In the mean time, I made a visit to India this past January and came back in Feb. At the POE, the immigration officer didn't
bother to see the missing letters in my first name even though he asked for my passport for verification.

I myself volunteered to ask him if it is okay to have my first name truncated and he said he didn't care as long as the finger print and the picture on the GC matched my biometrics. I asked him if I would need to get it corrected and he said he wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't worry and be happy. You should be okay if you didn't get it corrected.

I suspect the data entry operator why types the info for the purpose of
printing GC, is too lazy OR thinks he/she is underpaid OR actually the name wouldn't fit in the computer (if USCIS uses this excuse then it is bull).

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//
I am not a lawyer and not planning to be one. Getting advise from a competent lawyer is strongly adviseable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy_Howdy:
Thanks for the reply. In your case just one letter is print. In my case the last word in first name is REDDY, but it is printed as RED.
How long ago did you get GC? I am thinking it is better to change the name while staying the GC sponsered company itself.
Mine is CSC, looks like I-90 processing dates are about 3months lagging to current. So I can get new card with correct name then i will be in peace of mind.Mean while If I want to make international trip I can get stamp in passport.
Please post your opinion?

Thanks

query11:

Thanks for sharing your experience, however bad they were :eek:

In fact, I am planning to correct definitely before applying for N400 (which
is four more years from now anyway).

I have one more problem apart from the GC name issue :)

Apparently, my first name & last name on the SSN card is reversed. For eg,
if my name is John Smith in the passport, the SSN card has the name as
"Smith John" and my GC has the name as "J Smith". So, I am in a lot of troubles when I go for N400.

In any case, I am taking it easy for now but have to fix stuff before the volcano can erupt big time, if you know what I mean..

gc_2808:

I got my I485 approved June of last year. I got my card within 3-4 weeks of approval with the mistake on the card. I wanted to replace the card with correction but since my trip to India was planned well in advance, I couldn't send it for replacement. Since I was successful in re-entering the US, I am going to send it for correction sooner.

So, it is up to you to send the card for correction; but what I was trying to tell you in my earlier posting is, you don't have to worry about travel with the error in the card. As query11 said, it is better to get it corrected sooner than facing problems in the future.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
ps: I am not a lawyer and not planning to be one. Consulting a competent attorney is advised.

buddy, i had the exact problem u have...my first and last name..

howdy_howdy said:
query11:

Thanks for sharing your experience, however bad they were :eek:

In fact, I am planning to correct definitely before applying for N400 (which
is four more years from now anyway).

I have one more problem apart from the GC name issue :)

Apparently, my first name & last name on the SSN card is reversed. For eg,
if my name is John Smith in the passport, the SSN card has the name as
"Smith John" and my GC has the name as "J Smith". So, I am in a lot of troubles when I go for N400.

In any case, I am taking it easy for now but have to fix stuff before the volcano can erupt big time, if you know what I mean..

gc_2808:

I got my I485 approved June of last year. I got my card within 3-4 weeks of approval with the mistake on the card. I wanted to replace the card with correction but since my trip to India was planned well in advance, I couldn't send it for replacement. Since I was successful in re-entering the US, I am going to send it for correction sooner.

So, it is up to you to send the card for correction; but what I was trying to tell you in my earlier posting is, you don't have to worry about travel with the error in the card. As query11 said, it is better to get it corrected sooner than facing problems in the future.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
ps: I am not a lawyer and not planning to be one. Consulting a competent attorney is advised.

Hi Guys,
I just mailed out my original GC with I-90 and copy of submitted I-485 applicaiton, etc..
Let's see how long it will take to get the new card.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience /thoughts.

- Harsha

query11:

Now your posting really interests me :)

When you sent I90, did you mention that your first name & last name
reversed? Also, how did you have your name on your h1's and I485 receipt/approval notices?

If the names were swapped in above documents (h1/I485) how did USCIS
resolve the issue of giving you a GC with the names swapped & in the correct manner?

Please post your response as I could prepare myself for the issues I would be facing while correcing I90.

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

I have a similar issue. In my case my middle name/initial was missing. It was missing on the 485 application too. So it was my lawyer's mistake. I sent the GC back to NSC with a letter explaining the issue a I-90 form (with the "administraitive error" checked) and evidence: copy of my passport, birth certificate etc. I added also checks to cover the expenses just in case. After a week I received the notice of action receipt saying that the fee was waived. And they also sent the my checks back. Otherwise I am still waiting.

i got gc through my mom who went back to india right after i got my gc...
am sorry am running late need to go home...will log on from there...

howdy_howdy said:
query11:

Now your posting really interests me :)

When you sent I90, did you mention that your first name & last name
reversed? Also, how did you have your name on your h1's and I485 receipt/approval notices?

If the names were swapped in above documents (h1/I485) how did USCIS
resolve the issue of giving you a GC with the names swapped & in the correct manner?

Please post your response as I could prepare myself for the issues I would be facing while correcing I90.

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

Hello Guys,
I have a question, as you know that I sent my original GC to correct my name a week ago. Now I am filling i-9 form for my employer to run the payroll on my green card status instead of H1B. Can I send a copy of the original green card which was sent back to CSC for a proof of work authorization. I mean to say still will I be considered as green card holder even after sending original GC back to CSC for name correction.
Appreciate your feedabck on my query.

Thanks
Harsha

I think you should be okay, as long as the A# on the card is not going to change in the new one.

howdy_howdy
ps: I am not a lawyer and not planning to be one. Consulting a competent attorney is advised
//

Will there be any chance for changing A# in new (GC) card. I don't think so?
Could any one provide your experience after getting new card particularly change in A#.

Thanks
Harsha

gc_2808 said:
Will there be any chance for changing A# in new (GC) card. I don't think so?
Could any one provide your experience after getting new card particularly change in A#.

Thanks
Harsha
------------ you will have same A# on corrected Card.

Missing Middle Name on GC

Hello Guys,

I am about to apply for I-90 on my daughter's GC. We received it in March this year but it didn't contain her middle name or middle initial. At first I thought this was OK but when we went to DMV to get her State ID, they insisted on not including her middle name and that they could only follow what INS has on her GC. Her passport and student records also show her first and middle names. I'm quite apprehensive on sending back her GC because it might take forever to get it back. I wonder how long it might take. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

My green card has a mistake.

I called USCIS, 1800 NUMBER , i spoke with a representative and she told me file I 90 , and send back my original , to Memphis my Service Center.
Now , I don not how long can take USCIS for fix the problem with my green card, today i call again and they told me wait 180 or more days
And they do not usually send NOAS, just rest wait.

Now my question is , if someone has this experience before , and i did not send money with my I 90 , just evidence and my green card........I really need my green card back as soon is posible !!!!!!