Question about Travel Document(AP)

pm02368

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I am just trying to understand how travel document (AP) works after you apply for I-485.

- Do I really need Travel Documents (AP) when I have enough H1 or H4 Available?

I thought that no matter you have valid H1/H4 or not, you still need AP to travel when you are waiting for I485 approval.

One of my friend went on vacation without AP. When asked, he mentioned that he has enough H1 & H4 for his family and doesn't need AP to travel. Does this works?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by pm02368
- Do I really need Travel Documents (AP) when I have enough H1 or H4 Available? I thought that no matter you have valid H1/H4 or not, you still need AP to travel when you are waiting for I485 approval.

If your H-1/H-4 (or L-1/L-2 by the way) is still valid and your have a valid visa stamp (if you need one) then you can re-enter using the H or L instead of AP. I have never used AP to re-enter the US, always my H-1.

if you enter the country with h1 your status will be h1. if you enter US with AP your status is adjustee. your h1 is canceled at the time you enter US using AP, but that, will "save you" time with H1 if needed in the future.
I entered US with AP a month ago having a H1 stamped. didn't have problems entering.
leo

Originally posted by jose loaiza
if you enter the country with h1 your status will be h1. if you enter US with AP your status is adjustee. your h1 is canceled at the time you enter US using AP, but that, will "save you" time with H1 if needed in the future.
I entered US with AP a month ago having a H1 stamped. didn't have problems entering.
leo

That will not save the time on H1. To regain the time you spent on H1 you need to stay away from US for at least a year

if you enter US with AP your status is adjustee. your h1 is canceled at the time you enter US using AP
------ That is NOT true one can be on H1 even after entering on AP if one continue working with the same employer who filed latest H1b and H1 can also be extended after entering on AP if one works and maintain H1 with employer