Question about SSN

L2-F1-H1b-GC

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
From my nick you can tell my immigration story... I first came here on an L2 with my family ten years ago, then went to school on an F1, did the OPT and then was sponsored for an H1b. Last week was my marriage-based GC interview and I was approved.
When my family first moved here, we all applied for and received SSNs. However, mine clearly states that it is not valid for employment. So, I'm wondering what I need to do, if anything.
Thanks.

Once you receive your EAD (employment authorization) go to the Social Security Agency and have that changed to "valid for employment ONLY with DHS authorization".

Or if you wait until you get your Green Card and go to the SSA again and have that completely removed from it.

Hi,
From my nick you can tell my immigration story... I first came here on an L2 with my family ten years ago, then went to school on an F1, did the OPT and then was sponsored for an H1b. Last week was my marriage-based GC interview and I was approved.
When my family first moved here, we all applied for and received SSNs. However, mine clearly states that it is not valid for employment. So, I'm wondering what I need to do, if anything.
Thanks.

If I were you, I would wait until I receive the GC and apply once and for all for the "unconditional" SS Card.

I just went to SS office this afternoon. I got my first one when I was on F1. I couldn't find it and I needed it to renew my license as well as for AOS interview.

Luckily we have an office in Houston so I didn't have to mail my original documents in. I arrived there at 1pm and the line was LONG. If you ever go, try in the morning. If you go after lunch hour, most of the windows are closed (taking lunch break) and it's really slow.

There were a lot of foreigners there. Some people didn't get approved for replacement of SS card because they didn't bring enough immigration docs. I just took my I94, Driver's license and the application form. Make sure you check everything on the paper they print out for you. My friend ended up getting 2 SS numbers because she didn't check. She then had to go back later time and re-do the whole thing.

I carried my "valid only with authorization" SSN card right through until I got my USC. At the time nobody told me I needed to update it, and no employer ever questioned it.

Thanks for the responses.
I carried my "valid only with authorization" SSN card right through until I got my USC. At the time nobody told me I needed to update it, and no employer ever questioned it.
Yeah, I think the key is that employers just need extra proof that you are authorized - the GC certainly does that! Yiepppie!