Question about Religous Asylum

gtaid1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am now in US and have valid F1 status. I came here 7 month ago and I am going to apply for asylum next month.
I am from Iran and was born a Muslim. However, I am a Christian convert now. I have enough documents to prove that the government of Iran will persecute or kill me if I go back. My question is:

for a better asylum case, should I tell them that I converted to Christianity before leaving Iran and coming to US?
Or should I say that I didn't know anything about other religions and converted after coming to US?

Well my friend, I think you are asking how you can lie for a better case. I don't think that's the purpose of this forum. Don't mind. :)
Just because, you think that the government will persecute you is not a ground for asylum. So, you must have some concrete evidence regarding that. I think there are lot of threads on religious asylum. You can go through that. Most probably, the AO will ask you what if you keep quiet about your religion and stay in Iran. You don't have to denounce or envy any religion but just keep in heart and follow the belief. Just tell the truth. To cover one lie, you would have to create ten more.

If I were an Asylum Officer, I would ask you how did you convert into Christianity in just 7 months. Christianity is such a big religion and it usually takes people years to learn about it, practice it, and become a Christian. People don't become Christian overnight. It is a gradual PROCESS, not an event.

Thank you for your response.

I did not want to lie. I was thinking of not telling the whole truth. Now I think I should tell the whole truth!

I read bible two years ago for the first time and after that all of my believes have been changed. I started researching about Christianity and left my previous religion for good. I had some minor problems within my family because of doing that and I kept quiet in public. *** I don't have any documents to prove this part of my life. That's why I was thinking about not mentioning it. ***

After coming to US, I explored, learned, and experienced more about this religion and decided to be a Christian as my heart is telling me to do so. I am going to church every week and got baptized last week. Therefore, I feel I cannot keep quiet about it anymore. I really want to practice this religion more and more. I can show evidence that if I go back, the government will persecute me.

After all, I will tell the truth then. Whatever happens, He will help me.

Hi,

I am now in US and have valid F1 status. I came here 7 month ago and I am going to apply for asylum next month.
I am from Iran and was born a Muslim. However, I am a Christian convert now. I have enough documents to prove that the government of Iran will persecute or kill me if I go back. My question is:

for a better asylum case, should I tell them that I converted to Christianity before leaving Iran and coming to US?
Or should I say that I didn't know anything about other religions and converted after coming to US?

The truth shall set you free! Lying under oath is fraud which will jeopardize your case and future immigration benefits.

You have perfect country condition, but you must show that you have well founded fear if you return to your country you will be persecuted. The best way would be if newspaper in Iran prints article about you that you changed your religion.

I have friend from Iran who visited my country and when he went back to Iran his laptop was confiscated and he was beaten by police. I know how awful Iran is. And asylum officer must be fine if you tell that you couldn't disclose your religion in Iran.

In this case you will be lacking past persecution. Which is bad, but on your side is fear of future persecution and country condition.

Also Iranians are set for long background check and usually your case will take too long before decision is made (this is my assumption and also known from practice)

Well so if you can have something public article from Iran mentioning your name that you changed your religion and now you are "enemy of country" and that you are in US now and probably "working" for CIA this really creates well founded fear for you.

Don't make up story. I am advising this provided that if you publicly disclose your new belief someone in Iran prints it in newspaper in negative manner for you

Good luck. I think if you are really Christian you will won your case. If you truly read bible and know Christian religion (you might be asked questions from Bible, watch "well founded fear" movie) then you really have case.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have perfect country condition, but you must show that you have well founded fear if you return to your country you will be persecuted. The best way would be if newspaper in Iran prints article about you that you changed your religion.

I have friend from Iran who visited my country and when he went back to Iran his laptop was confiscated and he was beaten by police. I know how awful Iran is. And asylum officer must be fine if you tell that you couldn't disclose your religion in Iran.

In this case you will be lacking past persecution. Which is bad, but on your side is fear of future persecution and country condition.

Also Iranians are set for long background check and usually your case will take too long before decision is made (this is my assumption and also known from practice)

Well so if you can have something public article from Iran mentioning your name that you changed your religion and now you are "enemy of country" and that you are in US now and probably "working" for CIA this really creates well founded fear for you.

Don't make up story. I am advising this provided that if you publicly disclose your new belief someone in Iran prints it in newspaper in negative manner for you

Good luck. I think if you are really Christian you will won your case. If you truly read bible and know Christian religion (you might be asked questions from Bible, watch "well founded fear" movie) then you really have case.

Very helpful, thanks.

No, unfortunately there is no newspaper or article about me, as I mentioned I kept it as a secret back then. Otherwise, I would be in jail in Iran now!

For security check purpose, my name is completely unique and for getting the visa, it took only 1 day to be approved, which for all other Iranians takes at least 4 month.

BTW, I don't think I should get my name published in Iran. Because of my family! as you said our government think I am "enemy" or working for "CIA" so they might put pressure on my family. However, if it really helps my asylum application, I can open a weblog and write about Christianity so everyone will know about me.

Very helpful, thanks.

No, unfortunately there is no newspaper or article about me, as I mentioned I kept it as a secret back then. Otherwise, I would be in jail in Iran now!

For security check purpose, my name is completely unique and for getting the visa, it took only 1 day to be approved, which for all other Iranians takes at least 4 month.

BTW, I don't think I should get my name published in Iran. Because of my family! as you said our government think I am "enemy" or working for "CIA" so they might put pressure on my family. However, if it really helps my asylum application, I can open a weblog and write about Christianity so everyone will know about me.

I did a bit of research on Asylum Law, and the regulations state that you DO NOT have to have an evidence of your persecution IN HAND in order to qualify for asylum. They can find it acceptable when you can explain the officer why you were not able to obtain an evidence.

Your verbal testimony at the interview is considered as an evidence too, when you have enough convincing reasons for why you cannot obtain an evidence from your home country. They know the persecution, and they know that you fear for your family's safety (and they do appreciate that, because they too, are humans.) However, they will not know what you are fearing and why you could not obtain evidence until you tell them.

Try to obtain as much evidence and affidavits from others who know your situation, without making it harmful for your family. If it is not possible, do not worry. At the interview, tell them the reason why and be clear and specific. They do not like general responses. Clarity, genuineness is important for them, not the evidence you submit. Many people get denied even if they have the evidences because they lack credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need an advice URGENTLY..

I am a Christian Egyptian, married and have two kids.
I need a consultation concerning a case of religion based Asylum, if you can help.
To cut it short, my wife took my kids and went to the US two years ago, as we have been bothered by Muslims here in Egypt to the max.
And we were preparing that she will go through a case of Asylum and she will make a family reunion papers for me when she got the approval for our case as I could not get the tourism Visa as my wife and the kids did.
Unfortunately she informed me that she does not need me anymore in her life for a reason or another, and she will never send me any papers.
And that was after she asked me to sign many papers for the case “in my hand writing”, that they asked her to get from me for the case, and also she told me that my name is included in the Asylum file. But what I have now here, that I am stuck in Egypt away from my kids, as it is clear for the American Embassy in Egypt that my family travelled to the US with a tourism Visa and did not get back to Egypt for two years now.

So I need to know, if there is any way to be able to be with my kids and live in the same place they are now without her help???
If there is anything I can do here through the US Embassy in Egypt or through a lawyer in the US which can help me to see again and live with my 6yrs son and 3 yrs daughter or not???

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Waiting your reply

Hi there,
I think your situation is really complicated.
I recommend you to post this question in the avvo.com.
All the responses in that website comes from lawyers and its free so you will get a concrete answer than an assumption from us.
Best of luck.