Question about Oath--when do you get Naturalization Certificate?

joanne26

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have just (FINALLY) received my oath letter--I am scheduled to take my oath on May 7 at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn. I have been told that in some cases, naturalization certificates are NOT handed out on the day of the oath, but are mailed out instead. Is this true? If that is the case, do they take away your greencard on the day of the oath?

My dilemma is this: I was scheduled to travel on May 4th. I will have to change my ticket now because of the oath on May 7. I want to try to leave as soon as possible after that, but before I change my ticket I need to know whether or not I will get my naturalization certificate at the oath ceremony, or if I will be required to wait for it to come in the mail. If I know that I will get the natrualization certificate at the oath ceremony itself, then I can set up an interview with the passport office to apply for my passport, request rush processing and delivery, etc. However if there is a chance that I will have to wait to get the certificate in the mail, then I don't know when I can reschedule my flight for.

Anyone who has experience with oath ceremonies at Cadman Plaza, please let me know if you had to wait to get your certificate or if it was handed out on the same day. Thanks!

You get certicate at the end of oath ceremony.

If you want to save firther 30 minutes, I am not sure if you can request to get certificate rigth after you say "So help me God" and request to skip all other formality like listing to Obama's greeting, Patrioctic song, a movie etc

Hello,

I have just (FINALLY) received my oath letter--I am scheduled to take my oath on May 7 at Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn. I have been told that in some cases, naturalization certificates are NOT handed out on the day of the oath, but are mailed out instead. Is this true? If that is the case, do they take away your greencard on the day of the oath?

The naturalization certificate is supposed to be given to you at the oath ceremony. This is the standard practice at all DOs and I have never heard of a case where it was otherwise.

If you need to travel quickly after the oath date, you can schedule an appointment at the NYC passport agency (see instructions at the department of state website http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html ) for the day after the oath. You can then get a passport quickly (in 1-3 days) if you provide a proof that you are travelling abroad in less than 2 weeks from the date of the appointment.

. I have been told that in some cases, naturalization certificates are NOT handed out on the day of the oath, but are mailed out instead.
I can't see that being true since as a new US citizen you need proof of citizenship after oath if you need to immediately file for a passport, apply for a US government job etc.

I can't see that being true since as a new US citizen you need proof of citizenship after oath if you need to immediately file for a passport, apply for a US government job etc.

I think that he is referring to oath letter, in case oath cannot be taken the same day...