Question about Oath Ceremony and "Visitors"

Ladybuggy

Registered Users (C)
When I take my Oath are Family Members allowed to attend too ? Or is it just strictly you and they would for example have to wait outside ? Any Input would be appreciated.

When I take my Oath are Family Members allowed to attend too ? Or is it just strictly you and they would for example have to wait outside ? Any Input would be appreciated.

I would guess it varies. I just had my oath ceremony this past Thursday and it was in a large auditorium and family were allowed to be there. The candidates were in the front half and the visitors in the back half.

The Oath ceremony is a public ceremony:
Authority: 8 U.S.C. 1103, 1443, 1448; 8 CFR part 2.

§ 337.1 Oath of allegiance.
(a) Form of oath. Except as otherwise provided in the Act and after receiving notice from the district director that such applicant is eligible for naturalization pursuant to §335.3 of this chapter, an applicant for naturalization shall, before being admitted to citizenship, take in a public ceremony held within the United States the following oath of allegiance

Probably depends on the size of the location. 2-3 people would not seem unreasonable for most places.

When I went to my ceremony, some people brought kids with them, few were small kids, there was even a baby there. The judge even said that it would be okay if the little ones made noises.

OK good because my Father in Law is planning on attending since my Husband is deployed and I have 3 kids I like to attend too. They are 8 and 6 Years old and my daughter is right now 10 month old

My wife and father both attended my ceremony in Chicago last November.

How about Kids. I have 3. Can I take them with me or do I need to find a sitter ? LOL

Lots of people take their kids. The actual "ceremony" part of the oath procedure is pretty short - approx 20 mins - so it shouldn't be too difficult for children to endure.

I took my newborn to my wife's ceremony. Not ideal, but not much choice either.

I did my oath in September and some people had a veritable entourage with them.

Haha. I was planning on taking my 2 year old with me to see the process to an end because i was 8 months pregnant with her when i was interviewed but i decided against it. I will make the trip to Baltimore all by myself, finish then come home and take a long, long nap.:D. Not much of that with a toddler in the house.:D

At my ceremony they stated older kids were allowed but to please not bring the little ones as they may disrupt the ceremony. So everyone does it differently. But yes bring your family for the celebration...