Question about Namecheck

EricIntheBox

Registered Users (C)
I had my application sent out in Feb 2007 and have the FP done in early Match and never heard back from USCIS ever since.

After discussed with couple folks on the forum and I finally called the USCIS today. After checked with my A number, Application Number, etc, a very friendly IO lady told me that my case has been delayed and she helped me to pass my file up for a check (not sure whether this is a Namecheck).:confused:

She told me that within 30 days, I should either receive a letter asking me for interview or explanation for delay.

So have anyone experienced the same issue before and what the chance that I will receive the letter for interview. Any shares will be great....:)

I have already waited for more than 9 month and I am really eager about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have experienced this. Customer service rep created a service request for the case. Got a letter pretty soon '...your case has been delayed. ...required investigation into your background remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, we cannot move forward on your case. These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking... If you do not receive a decision or ohter notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact us by calling our customer service.'

Following their promise, they plain refuse to talk or give any kind of update on the case ever since. Well, till 6 months are up. Not to scare you or something, but just be ready that it might happen.

Meanwhile I have engaged in mailing campaign with my local elected officials. :cool:

That's pretty sad, wish this will not happen to me.

I will set getting a letter saying that I need to go for interview as my 2008 New year resolution.

Sadly to let everybody know, today I have received a letter from USCIS los Angeles office saying that my background checking is still pending...so I guess I probably will still wait for a while....................:mad:

Here is the letter:

Currently, we are awaiting the results of required security checs on your case. These background checks are required of all applicants that apply for the immigration benefits that you are seeking. Unfortunnately, these checks can sometimes caused delays in the processing of cases. We will make very effort to make a decision on your case as soon as the security checks are complete.

So my question is that is there anyway I can do to speed up the process?

Help Help Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly to let everybody know, today I have received a letter from USCIS los Angeles office saying that my background checking is still pending...so I guess I probably will still wait for a while....................:mad:

Here is the letter:

Currently, we are awaiting the results of required security checs on your case. These background checks are required of all applicants that apply for the immigration benefits that you are seeking. Unfortunnately, these checks can sometimes caused delays in the processing of cases. We will make very effort to make a decision on your case as soon as the security checks are complete.

So my question is that is there anyway I can do to speed up the process?

Help Help Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give up. Write politicians about your case and consider filing WOM.

Cybex is right

I have experienced this. Customer service rep created a service request for the case. Got a letter pretty soon '...your case has been delayed. ...required investigation into your background remains open. Until the background investigation is completed, we cannot move forward on your case. These background checks are required to be completed on all applicants who apply for the immigration benefit you are seeking... If you do not receive a decision or ohter notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please contact us by calling our customer service.'

Following their promise, they plain refuse to talk or give any kind of update on the case ever since. Well, till 6 months are up. Not to scare you or something, but just be ready that it might happen.

Meanwhile I have engaged in mailing campaign with my local elected officials. :cool:

Yes Cybex is right. I went thru the same thing few weeks back. The letter is pretty much an indication that we should leave USCIS alone and not bother them coz of background investigation.

Have anyone written to the politicians?

I want to get an idea on how to find my local politician that can help me and how to write him or her the letter and how this process is really going. thanks guys!

Have anyone written to the politicians?

I want to get an idea on how to find my local politician that can help me and how to write him or her the letter and how this process is really going. thanks guys!

The only thing a politician can do is inquire about your case, but it provides you with evidence that you have been trying to get USCIS work on your case.
What state do you live in?You can write the senator and congressman of your state to begin with.

I live in Los Angeles, California.

senator and congressman, right?

Should I also write to Major?

Write to senator, congressman and any other elected official you can think of. Make sure to keep records of who you wrote to and when for future reference.

I got a similar letter.But I haven't even got an FP notice. I'd applied with SC in June 2007. Isn't this name check/ background investigation initiated after the FP and interview?

I called FBI and they confirmed that I am stuck on the namecheck, but did not send me any letter. What number did you call?

I called FBI and they confirmed that I am stuck on the namecheck, but did not send me any letter. What number did you call?

What number did you call to? I called one number and all they could say was about my fingerprint and not anything else. Could you let me/us know.

Thank you

I got a similar letter.But I haven't even got an FP notice. I'd applied with SC in June 2007. Isn't this name check/ background investigation initiated after the FP and interview?

No, usually the name check is initiated at the same time as FP. If you haven't gotten the FP notice and your NOA is dated more than 60 days, you should call the NCSC and ask to speak to an Immigration Officer. It is odd that you would get a "name check pending" letter and not have gone through the finger prints. Look at it this way, even if your name check clears, you will be required to undergo FBI finger print analysis - so it doesn't hurt to ask where your FP notice went.

Yea - I would like to get my hands on that number as well. :) Last I heard, they weren't confirming name check results over the telephone.

Lolali, did you do your Fp today?
2nd, I thought that I remember you said something about initiating the name check before the FP? could you confirm that or any links?

I'll post my experience about the FP later - possibly tomorrow. And the information I have is from a Federal Registry describing the BCS or Background Check System. It describes the entire background check initiation process - since the BCS is an application that feeds off the Claims 4 database (which is used for N-400 applications) and automatically generates FP notices (based on availability), IBIS checks, and name checks. I have attached the registry. Have fun reading.