Question about marriage

Hhemc

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
My question may seem a bit stupid, but anywhere. I got my asylum in august 2004 and I wonder if I get married to women who have the same citizenship that I have in a third country (I don't know whether it is even virtually possible), would she receive derivative asylum status?
Thanks

Hello Hhemc -

No, your wife will not be able to apply for derivative asylum status.

Instructions on the Form I-730 (Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition) clearly states:

"If you are an asylee: The relationship between
you and your relative must have existed on the
date you were granted asylum in the United
States and must continue to exist. If the person
you are filing for is a child who was conceived
but not yet born on the date you were granted
asylum in the United States, the relationship
will be considered to exist as of the date you
were granted asylum in the United States. (The
mother of such child is not an eligible relative
unless the mother was married to you, the
principal asylee, when you were granted asylurn
in the United States.)"

So, your marriage must have existed when you got approved for asylum. Since you will be marrying her after your case was approved, she will not be eligible for derivative status.

Hope this helps.

this is my case to. What about if we get the child? Any chance then????

My wife is in the US currently on student visa. I have to pay for her school in full, because she is not eligible for student loan, and I cannot cosign a loan for her because I don't have a green card yet. So,she has to stay in school for the next 4 years until I get my citizenship. A lot of money ...

nofreedom, we are in the same boat except i am not paying for her tuition, she has fellowship, therefor instate tuition. if your wife is in grad school, she can get an R.A. position ($1200/M) and that also make her qualify for in state tuition. To let you know my son is 4 years old born here and that did n't help.

cider_or said:
nofreedom, we are in the same boat except i am not paying for her tuition, she has fellowship, therefor instate tuition. if your wife is in grad school, she can get an R.A. position ($1200/M) and that also make her qualify for in state tuition. To let you know my son is 4 years old born here and that did n't help.

thanks cider_or. she is still undergrad and she has to be on 4 year university (because it is hard to get visa without 4 year univeristy). She got some scholarship, and tuition is the same for instate or out of state ($9000 per semester). Anyway, in 3 semesters she will enrol in graduate program.

Now, there is one more thing. As soon as I get my green card (this year or hopefully early next year, I will file I-130 for her (petition for Alien Relative). This will take probably 4 years (processing April 13, 2001). However, there is a V visa which state that whoever is on wait list for at least 3 years and who submitted application (I-130) by Feb 2001 (I'm not exact sure about this date) is eligible to get V visa. This visa law expired early this year (Feb 2004) and congress is debating to extend it to 2011 instead of 2001 like it is now. So, either she will get I-130 approved, or she will wait until I get my citizeship or they will chage V visa law and she will be eligible to apply for it. These are only 3 options that I could figure it out. Let me put them in the list for easy reading:
  1. I-130 approved after 4 years
  2. congress approves V visa - she might get status in this country earlier then 4 years
  3. wait for 4 years until I get my citizenship
Let me know if you know any other way. Kids?? They have to be 21 to apply for parent. This is all I know.

nofreedom said:
this is my case to. What about if we get the child? Any chance then????

My wife is in the US currently on student visa. I have to pay for her school in full, because she is not eligible for student loan, and I cannot cosign a loan for her because I don't have a green card yet. So,she has to stay in school for the next 4 years until I get my citizenship. A lot of money ...

You don’t have to have a GC to get a loan . My daughter is a full time student at UCLA second year. She just got her GC but she had all her loans and grants since she started university. I you were granted asylum , then you have the rights to get a loan same as GC holder.
-irina

that is true, but my wife is still international student and she can not get loan. The only way to get the loan is if GC holder or US citizen cosign. I don't have GC yet ...

nofreedom said:
that is true, but my wife is still international student and she can not get loan. The only way to get the loan is if GC holder or US citizen cosign. I don't have GC yet ...

Sorry, I didn't understand you first. I thought she was granted asylum as well.
Wish you and your wife luck, you will get your GC soon!
-irina

nofreedom said:

Actually asylees can cosign loan applications. My mom did that for her niece.

since you guys started talking about student loans i got a question: How hard is it for an asylee to get one? :confused:
I been granted asylum not long time ago and i was planning to go to a school next year.
Can anybody help me with some links or share personal experience? :rolleyes:
Pliiiiz. :)

Thanks a lot.

asylee25 said:
since you guys started talking about student loans i got a question: How hard is it for an asylee to get one? :confused:
I been granted asylum not long time ago and i was planning to go to a school next year.
Can anybody help me with some links or share personal experience? :rolleyes:
Pliiiiz. :)

Thanks a lot.

There are two types of loans. One is from the Federal Government and the other from private banks. Loans from the former is pretty much automatic. The latter source requires a strong credit history.

One is from the Federal Government and the other from private banks. Loans from the former is pretty much automatic.

THANKFUL,

when you say automatic do you mean pretty easy to get??
Could you post some links for that, pliiiz?

i really appreciate it :)

I have both loans and I got them in 98. I almost pay them off. When I mentioned loans for my wife, for the international students (that's her status) GC holder or US citizen has to cosign. FOR ASYLEES, THEY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY LOAN, but they cannot cosign for these international students.

Getting a student loan

I enrolled into college in a spring 1999. Had to pay my tuition out of packet for the first semester as I was out of a status. Same year, in a summer, my asylee derivative petition was approved. I took the evidence (INS letter, new I-94) to the financial department and filled the Federal Student Aid application.
I received $3,000 grant and the student federal loan.
The process of getting student loan was fast and easy.
It also served out to be good for my credit history. As to before the college I had none. After getting the student loan I started receiving a lot of credit cards offers and was able to get credit cards and a car loan on my own name without a co-signer. And nobody, never ever asked me about my status on any loan or credit application since.
But things changed since 9/11 and now, because of the Patriotic act, they ask about legal status even when you apply for a checking account.
My advice to you, Asylee25, don’t worry about getting the student loan. You’ll get it without any problems.
Just bring your I-94 to the financing department in your college. They have all the forms you need and they will tell you what to do and what to expect, and how long it will take you to pay it off :)
Good luck!

nofreedom said:
I have both loans and I got them in 98. I almost pay them off. When I mentioned loans for my wife, for the international students (that's her status) GC holder or US citizen has to cosign. FOR ASYLEES, THEY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY LOAN, but they cannot cosign for these international students.

Again asylees CAN and DO cosign loans.

thankful said:
Again asylees CAN and DO cosign loans.

as I said, if you don't have a GC or if you are not US citizen, all of the banks will not accept you as a cosigner FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT, doesn't matter if you are asylee or refugee.

FOR ALL OTHER LOANS, WE ARE ELIGIBLE.

nofreedom said:
as I said, if you don't have a GC or if you are not US citizen, all of the banks will not accept you as a cosigner FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT, doesn't matter if you are asylee or refugee.

FOR ALL OTHER LOANS, WE ARE ELIGIBLE.

I hate to repeat myself, but the fact is that my mom, an asylee, cosigned a loan last year ($20,000) on my counsin's behalf so that she could attend law school in the United States (on a FI visa).

Clear?

thankful said:
I hate to repeat myself, but the fact is that my mom, an asylee, cosigned a loan last year ($20,000) on my counsin's behalf so that she could attend law school in the United States (on a FI visa).

Clear?

very ... can you send me the bank information please because I'm killing myself over it. thank you.