Question about J1 Visa holder marrying USC

bpdavis

Registered Users (C)
I am a united states citizen in Texas. My girlfriend is a J1 Visa holder from Brazil working as an au pair. I asked her to marry me, and she accepted.

She is NOT subject to the 2 year Home requirement rule.

So, my question is, in October when we get married, will she need anything special to get married since she is a foreigner?

My next question is, Once we are married, WHEN exactly can she stop the au pair program and move in with me?

Thanks in advance...

Hi,
I was in the same situation as your wife. I stayed with the company till my contract with then was up. However after 18 months since I filed my paperwork with USCIS I am still waiting for my green card. Sometimes I think that delay is because of my J1 visa entry status. But I may be wrong. Personaly I think that as soon as you apply for her working permit, she will be allowed to work wherever she wants.

Milota, how long it takes depends on your location. Do check the processing dates on www.uscis.gov and if they are past due, make an infopass appt, perhaps, you missed your interview.

bpdavis, your fiance will need her birth certificate to apply for GC.

she can stop the au pair program after you apply for her GC and get a notice of receipt.