Question about I-864 and most recent tax filings.

zonryza

Registered Users (C)
Ok, so the I-864 has been filled out. The sponsor did NOT meet the financial requirements as shown on his 2008 taxes.

HOWEVER, he just got all his w-2's and stuff in for 2009 and his 2009 income DOES MEET THE REQUIREMENTS (he had an income jump, thank god). However, he hasn't done his 2009 taxes yet because he JUST GOT the w-2's yesterday.

Immigration is giving him till the end of this month to submit a proper i-864 with the financial requirements met. Since his 2008 taxes wouldn't do, my question is this: CAN HE SUBMIT A WRITTEN AFFIDAVIT WITH COPIES OF HIS 2009 W-2's, thus proving that his income DOES qualifiy to sponsor the immigrant? He could put a note in there saying that since Immigration is only giving him till the end of the month to submit the I-864, he did not have time yet to pay a preparer to actually FILE his taxes before then, but the most recent w-2's should suffice?

When they finally call the immigrant and spouse to the interview, his taxes should be done by then, and he can bring in the hard copies of the 2009 taxes. But since time is of the essence right now, will a written affidavit and copies of current w-2's do?

This is the crappy thing about doing i-864's in January/February time. Not everyone exactly has their most recent taxes done by then.

did not understand your answer

I'm sorry, TripleCitizen, I did not understand your answer. Please explain yourself. Thanks!

Immigration is giving him till the end of this month to submit a proper i-864 with the financial requirements met

it there any time line to submit the I 864 ?

Well, he had originally submitted the paperowork aroun end of October, but apparently did not meet the requirements for sponsoring. That's why he got an RFE. So, he couldn't find a joint sponsor ANYWHERE, so he waited till January to get his w-2's and he needs to have them in actually NEXT WEEK. So it's cuttin' it close.

If he is still employed at the company can't he included copies of pay stubs from his employer for the last couple of months, or even a letter from his HR department with the amount he made?

I've been told just recently (by someone who knows) that yes, a written affidavit plus proof of recent income (w-2's, letters from HR, etc) can be sent in if the deadline is just around the corner, but be prepared for an RFE which will delay the case. The RFE part isn't so much a problem. it's getting the paperwork in b4 the deadline so that the application isn't denied!!!!