question about co sponsor in family based green card

FunkyCatSpangky

Registered Users (C)
my mom, a USA Permanent resident is partitioning for my GC

my uncle, an American citizen will be the co-sponsor

Can I kindly ask what the co sponsor needs to do?

Is it just paper work and submitting the completed documents on time?

Or does the co sponsor needs to attend any interviews in person etc?

Does the co sponsor needs to be residing in the USA?

any info is much appriciated

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you are doing consular processing. If you are doing AOS, what is your current status?

A co-sponsor is for the affidavit of support when the main petition's cannot meet the income guideline. A co-sponsor has to reside in the US and its territories. No interview for the co-sponsor.

I assume you are doing consular processing. If you are doing AOS, what is your current status?

A co-sponsor is for the affidavit of support when the main petition's cannot meet the income guideline. A co-sponsor has to reside in the US and its territories. No interview for the co-sponsor.

Hi Bestpal,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am using consular processing.

My American Uncle only resides in the US 2-3 months in the year. He usually travel the world because of his business. This is not acceptable?

I understand the co sponsor has to fill in a form and submit it accordingly. Does the co sponsor has to do anything else?

:s11:

Does he file taxes as a US resident and has an established residence in the US? If so, he can be your co-sponsor.

Yes he file tax every year.

He owns a house in the USA

But he maybe spend only christmass and april-may(when he has to file his income tax) in his usa house

most of the time he travels due to his business

Can some kind souls please confirm that all that is needed of the co sponsor is for him to complete the appropriate forms and submit it on time and thats it?

he does not have to be present in person for any event regarding the co sponsor thingy?

The co-sponsor fills in the I-864 and hands it to you. You will attach it with your I-485.
The co-sponsor does not need to accompany you to your interview.

Can some kind souls please confirm that all that is needed of the co sponsor is for him to complete the appropriate forms and submit it on time and thats it?

he does not have to be present in person for any event regarding the co sponsor thingy?