Question about change of address

hyd2002

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Need some inputs on my case for change of address.

I plan to travel to India on May 3rd 2003. We are due to move to a new apartment on May 10th 2003 (my spouse will be here to move). My return date is about May 25th 2003.

The form AR11 from the INS/BCIS link http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/ar-11.htm has a present address and previous address fields. The present address is supposed to be my new apartment address after May 10th and the previous address is supposed to be the old apartment address before may 10th.

The form is supposed to track the address changes based on the I-94 number.

Questions:
1) Case 1: Submit the form before leaving, or have my spouse mail the form on May 10th after moving.
Since I will submit my i-94 on May 3rd, when I leave this country, I am not sure which i-94 number should I write in the AR11 form for change of address effective from May 10th 2003. If I write the i-94 number I have now. As on May 10th 2003, that i-94 would have been surrendered at the airport, so that i-94 number will be invalid. Will this be a problem considering the fact that I might apply for my green card sooner or later. I know it is not a case of out-of-status or illegal but discrepencancy like submitting a form with expired/surrendered i-94, trying to mislead INS etc, even though I dont intend to cheat them.

2) Case 2: Submit the change of address forma fter I return on May 25th 2003.
In this case the 10 day timeframe set by INS would have expired and I could be subjected to action. I know lot of people still dont submit the change of address form and do not have any leagal problems yet, but I am looking for a risk free option.

Please suggest what is the best option in this case me to avoid problem in future.

Any inputs, ideas, experience will be appreciated sincerely.
Thanks,
hyd2002

My suggestion is file AR11 after you return from india.
I personally feel 10 days timeframe is not critical.

More over INS is very lazy in updating their records.
(my personal experience). Though i filed my AR11, for some reason, in my GC approval it showed my earlier address.

If i were you, then i would file after i return from india.

Meow

Thanks

Thankyou meowmeow,

Actually, I am confused and do not want to take risk. Based on the inputs I get here, I might decide about this.

Thanks
hyd2002