Question about change of address across states after interview

topchi7

Registered Users (C)
I was interviewed for my N-400 in Jan-2010 (story in an old thread), and so far I haven't received a decision from USCIS. In the meantime I changed jobs so now while I live in CT, my new job is in NJ - in short, one terrible commute. For the past many months I decided to stay put in CT till the case is decided, given that for USCIS to move my file from CT to NJ would be like sending a man to the moon.

But at this point I am just dying spending 5 hours each day doing the trek daily.

WOuld anyone know how badly I can hurt my case if I move to New Jersey? Of course I would file the AR-11. Would it mean I would need to have another interview? Does the 3-month residency clock reset itself when I move? Any ideas, suggestions, or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you can not stay in CT, then you can not. I know it is generic advice. Try to stay in CT and if job needs, just move on. It may take a little more longer to get teh Oath letter due to these addres changes but what else one can do. Just have faith in god and move on. Dont kill yourself driving that much. Why do not try to give the C/O address of a friend or may be just make an info pass appointment.
I can understand how you feel. May be some other expert in the forum will be able to give a better advice.

all the best.

I was interviewed for my N-400 in Jan-2010 (story in an old thread), and so far I haven't received a decision from USCIS. In the meantime I changed jobs so now while I live in CT, my new job is in NJ - in short, one terrible commute. For the past many months I decided to stay put in CT till the case is decided, given that for USCIS to move my file from CT to NJ would be like sending a man to the moon.

But at this point I am just dying spending 5 hours each day doing the trek daily.

WOuld anyone know how badly I can hurt my case if I move to New Jersey? Of course I would file the AR-11. Would it mean I would need to have another interview? Does the 3-month residency clock reset itself when I move? Any ideas, suggestions, or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Moving during naturalization process can incur an additional delay of up to 3 months.

Btw, did you ever get the N-14? If so, what did it ask for and do you have proof they received the requested info ?

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away over the weekend. No I never got an N-14, absolutely nothing so far. No letter, no information, and I think the delay is just due to malice on part of the immigration officer who did not like my face. I sent them two letters, just with regular first class mail, there was no response. I called their 1-800 number when the 120 days finished, and they did a 'service request' to which the response was received in my mailbox in just 2 days! They must have an automated script to do that. The service request stated as follows (yes, it does say 'speak to an immigration office')

"Service records indicate that your case is pending review. If you have further questions. you may either call 1-800-375-5283 or log onto WWW.USClS.GOV and make an INFOPASS appointment to your local USCIS office to speak to an immigration office."

If I move, will the new office do the 'pending review', or will they restart their own thing? I guess it is a silly question to ask because only they would know what they do. I am okay with 3 months, but what I fear is that they will lose my paperwork. Of course now that I started the process, I do want it to come to an end. This is really not nice at all. In fact I had to postpone my vacation to India to December just because I thought I might be needed here for something, and in hindsight that was unnecessary.

Would it mean I would need to have another interview?
No.
Does the 3-month residency clock reset itself when I move?
Yes, if you move to a different state or area that is not covered by the same DO.

You have two choices:
(1) Don't move, but file 1447(b) ASAP. Hopefully it will result in your case being approved within a few weeks.
or
(2) Go ahead and move, update your address with them (this is more than just filing AR-11), wait out the 3 months, then get ready to take action if it is still pending.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say that updating address is more than just filing AR-11, do you mean there is something else to be done? What would that be? Tks.

AR-11 has nothing to do with updating address for N400. That is an unrelated bureaucracy.
Your initial NOA (or subsequent letters) should give you instructions on how to change address.

Thanks. I will check it up.

I intend to move sooner than the 1447 can be filed and resolved. If I file, and then move, then there will be the question of which fderal court has jurisdiction etc, and the court in Connecticut may throw it out as belonging to New Jersey. I guess I should just move to New Jersey, give it a couple of months, and then file the 1447. Question is, how will I know that the file has moved to NJ, and that the case has been transitioned to a new DO? Will they notify me? (I can almost hear folks laugh)

Also by the way I did engage a lawyer who sent a G-28 last month to USCIS. Which of course they haven't yet recorded in their system after nearly a month. The only reason for engaging the lawyer was defensive - I expect them to deny my application on some flimsy ground, and I did want them to be aware that I have some sort of a professional on my side so they can't screw around with absurdities such as 'why did you not buy a house' or 'how many wives & children you have other than those disclosed' etc.

Okay, quick update: I received the oath letter today for the 18th of June 2010. No N-14 or RFE was ever received. I suspect having sent a letter through a lawyer, and the G-28 probably indicated that I am serious about pursuing this - though of course it could have been something else completely unknown to me. During the past 5 months, I received a speeding ticket for $75, for which I have no 'official' proof of payment except a paid cheque image using online banking. Hopefully that will suffice on oath day, but if I run into the same immigration officer I am sure that won't be enough.

Anyway, will keep folks posted. Will also update the other thread in case someone queries that later.