• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question about background check for DV immigrants

Dv2014

Hi everyone

I used to live in the US on F1 and I have a question. When I was there, I had an unpaid medical bill. I thought my insurance had covered it but apparently they didn't because months after my doctor's appointment, I got calls from collection agencies. I left the country without paying it, mostly because I was angry at the insurance (after all I paid my premiums on time, so I thought they'd cover care!). My question is, will the background check pull up this information? I have a SSN and the hospital had it so I'm assuming it's now on my credit report. So do they check credit reports (in the event it showed up on it).
Many thanks

Anyone? I'm quite worried about this since I don't want it to affect my visa chances. In all other aspects I'm completely sure I qualify. So if you have any idea, please answer. Many thanks in advance :)

Anyone? I'm quite worried about this since I don't want it to affect my visa chances. In all other aspects I'm completely sure I qualify. So if you have any idea, please answer. Many thanks in advance :)

I do not think bg check covers credit report. Hospital would not care as it turned it over to collection. Collection agencies probably will not chase you either. Do not get me wrong, it probably will be in your credit report but it is not a criminal case or something, and bg check should not cover it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for replying. I feel better, but I'll think about it some more. I searched on Google and it seems they don't check, but just for my peace of mind I may end up paying them. I'll give myself a few weeks to think about it.

Thank you for replying. I feel better, but I'll think about it some more. I searched on Google and it seems they don't check, but just for my peace of mind I may end up paying them. I'll give myself a few weeks to think about it.

I totally understand. Things one did in the past can come back to bite in the ... But you should be ok.

Hi everyone

I used to live in the US on F1 and I have a question. When I was there, I had an unpaid medical bill. I thought my insurance had covered it but apparently they didn't because months after my doctor's appointment, I got calls from collection agencies. I left the country without paying it, mostly because I was angry at the insurance (after all I paid my premiums on time, so I thought they'd cover care!). My question is, will the background check pull up this information? I have a SSN and the hospital had it so I'm assuming it's now on my credit report. So do they check credit reports (in the event it showed up on it).
Many thanks

Well, an interesting case you have here, I must say. Not trying to add to your stress, but I do know of a case where someone came to the US, used Medicare which they were not qualified to use and left the country. The person tried to apply for a B1/B2 visa 5 years after leaving the US but was denied the visa because of this. The US embassy in this person's home country had details of this particular case. This person has been making frantic efforts since then to make this payment without much success. Now, I'm not saying your case is exactly the same as this person, as yours has nothing to do with the government, but I just thought I should share it.