question about associations.

iceway

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

When I did my N400 I didn´t put any associations.

Now reading forums I realize that some people put volunteer activities.

I donated my car to Car Donations on behalf one kid association, membership Mothers Again Drunk Driving but just received emails regarding events and I did an application and interview to volunteer in 211 orange county but I didn´t participate and any membership.

In addition, I read that some people include AAA automobile, aetna member...Should I include this kind of associations????.

I think that it is a question related to political associations but reading that now I am not sure.

Should I include this in my interview and give an update paper with all the associations??.

Thanks

I am a member of Project Management Institute and a volunteer member of Voice for Children. But I did not list those membership associations. The interview officer asked me if I am associated with any of political organizations (e.g. communist party, etc.). I don't think that USCIS is looking for your normal volunteer associations.

Since the question asks for any and all associations and memberships ever it is not easy to answer I think. In my interview, the IO reviewed this in detail with me drilling on political type associations contrary to what would be legal in the US/show good moral character. I listed my church affiliations and sports clubs from my home country and from the US in my application which is all I had to report. Like all questions this is being reviewed in the interview so final clarification can be sought then. To the best of my knowledge USCIS does not conduct background checks on the groups you list - it is part of the interview process and may go mostly into the good moral character category unless you are/were a member of a group that is not aligned with the ideals of the US.

Hi everyone,

When I did my N400 I didn´t put any associations.

Now reading forums I realize that some people put volunteer activities.

I donated my car to Car Donations on behalf one kid association, membership Mothers Again Drunk Driving but just received emails regarding events and I did an application and interview to volunteer in 211 orange county but I didn´t participate and any membership.

In addition, I read that some people include AAA automobile, aetna member...Should I include this kind of associations????.

I think that it is a question related to political associations but reading that now I am not sure.

Should I include this in my interview and give an update paper with all the associations??.

Thanks

The question is there so that you disclose any organizations or associations that may make you ineligible for naturalization. MADD, AAA, sports clubs, shopping memberships would not make you ineligible, but being a member of Al-Aqsa or any other terrorist association would.

I wouldn't list "passive" memberships like AAA (and I didn't on my app), but I listed memberships where I held an active role, e.g. as a director/board member of a HOA (where I signed filing with county records) or that I was a commissioned officer in my native country's army. At my interview the IO simply skipped over it, so it's obviously not an issue unless there's an association to more questionable group (as Bob mentioned).
I look at it from the GMC side: I disclose associations that could cause (even harmless) questions and let the IO decide if it's relevant. That way I can't get nailed for hiding important facts.