Question about "An Arrest for Driving under Suspension" on N-400

MM77

I have a question about "Arrests section" on the N-400 form. I'll berifly explain my situation below:

I had an arrest back in 1996 in Oklahoma for Driving under Suspension offense. I failed to get insurance on my new vehicle and my license got suspended. I got pulled over during that period for expired registration and DUS. I was taken to the local jail and barely stayed there for 5 minutes before my friends paid the fine and I got released. After that incident, I didn't have to appear in the court for anything, just had to send proof of insurance for the dismissal of the case.

I requested the local police department to send me my police records but they cound't find any records that far back. Luckily, someone in the department was able to look into an offline system and found a one page record based on the case number I provided them. The records state that I had three tickets (expired registration, expired inspection, and DUS). I paid a fine of $300 for all three offenses and they called it "Bond Forfeiture". Other than that, their records do not state anything else and to them, this is considered a minor traffice violation.

I am planning to list this offense on my N-400 form with the above details just in case if INS already have some record of this arrest and that I don't want to lie on the application. Other than this, I have had several speeding tickets in past 10 years which got dismissed. I am not planning to list any of those on the form since the instructions in the guide clearly state that I should not mention any traffice violations on the form unless there is an arrest involved or in case of DUI.

Any suggestions/feedback on my approach? Does anyone have any experience to go thru this process while having an arrest in the past for some minor offense? How did you handle that situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MM77 said:
I have a question about "Arrests section" on the N-400 form. I'll berifly explain my situation below:

I had an arrest back in 1996 in Oklahoma for Driving under Suspension offense. I failed to get insurance on my new vehicle and my license got suspended. I got pulled over during that period for expired registration and DUS. I was taken to the local jail and barely stayed there for 5 minutes before my friends paid the fine and I got released. After that incident, I didn't have to appear in the court for anything, just had to send proof of insurance for the dismissal of the case.

I requested the local police department to send me my police records but they cound't find any records that far back. Luckily, someone in the department was able to look into an offline system and found a one page record based on the case number I provided them. The records state that I had three tickets (expired registration, expired inspection, and DUS). I paid a fine of $300 for all three offenses and they called it "Bond Forfeiture". Other than that, their records do not state anything else and to them, this is considered a minor traffice violation.

I am planning to list this offense on my N-400 form with the above details just in case if INS already have some record of this arrest and that I don't want to lie on the application. Other than this, I have had several speeding tickets in past 10 years which got dismissed. I am not planning to list any of those on the form since the instructions in the guide clearly state that I should not mention any traffice violations on the form unless there is an arrest involved or in case of DUI.

Any suggestions/feedback on my approach? Does anyone have any experience to go thru this process while having an arrest in the past for some minor offense? How did you handle that situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
First of all you have to mention ALL tickets on N-400.
Secondly mention ALL arrest records.
Get all documentation for ALL tickets including the arrest one.

Since an arrest is involved you should also consult with a lawyer.

MM77,
The instructions advise an applicant not to submit documentation for fines under $500. An applicant still has to mention ALL citations, arrests, detentions, etc.

Triple Citizen said:
MM77,
The instructions advise an applicant not to submit documentation for fines under $500. An applicant still has to mention ALL citations, arrests, detentions, etc.
Triple Citizen,

Even though the instructions advise an applicant not to submit documentation for fines under $500, it is better to get them before filling out N-400. There is no need to send it with N-400 but will be useful during the interview(if asked). Better prepared than suffer another delay.

Totally agree with you. I had a $70 citation and yet sent in documentation with my N400 and carried fine payment receipt to the interview. Always safe than sorry :)

N-400 and tickets

I am planning to list this offense on my N-400 form with the above details just in case if INS already have some record of this arrest and that I don't want to lie on the application. Other than this, I have had several speeding tickets in past 10 years which got dismissed

You don't have a choice, bro, don't even consider lying, you will be surprised, but the USCIS has that on file somewhere..remember they did a background check, just put it on there, it does not diminish your chances of becoming a USC because of a minor traffic violation, but "conveniently" forgetting to mention it comes with a straight DENIAL...trust you don't want to know how that sucks. I wouldn't know either, I had no problems, but I would think it sucks

I appreciate everyone's replies.

I am already in the process of acquiring court certified letter from Oklahoma County Clerk office with details on the three citations that resulted in the arrest and disposition of the case.

In regards to the details for traffic citations and moving violations, I just got off the phone with USCIS customer service and I am being told by the INS agent that I DO NOT have to list any moving traffic violations including speeding tickets or parking tickets except for more serious violations like DUI or any other violation for which I got arrested or if the fine was more than $500.

So my answer to the questions will regarding arrests will be YES but I won't be mentioning every single detail about every single speeding ticket. I'll still take my driving record from each state to the interview. Just my two cents...I am sure a lot of folks won't agree with this but I still appreciate everyone's responses.

Thank you again.