Question about accepting an off-shore assignment?

virtuoso

Registered Users (C)
All,

I have received my GC during July 2004. I have been asked by my management to provide technical leadership while on an assignment in India. During this assignment, I will be on US payroll and I will be maintaining a residence in NJ. (I am currently a citizen of India)

Can some of the netizens here provide me some answers -

1. Will the time away from US cause any issues, while filing for my citizenship?
  2. Since this is a long-term assignment, I plan to travel along with my wife and child. My wife is also an Indian citizen while my son is an American citizen. My wife currently is a housewife. Will the time away with me in India during my assignment cause any issues for her, when she is filing for US citizenship?
  3. What do I need to do, before I travel outside of this country? Currently, I have been told is that this is 8 week assignment for now and there is a good chance, it could be longer
  4. How frequently do I need to travel back to US?
  5. Do I need to take any documentation from my organization along with me, when I travel?
  6. Off Topic - What kind of legal/financial implications do I need to pore over before saying yes/no to this assignment?
  7. Off Topic - What if, I have not been offered an expatriate deal for my assignment?

Answers will be greatly helpful.

Many Thanks

A1: Yes, if the absenses are more than 6 months and if it appears that you may have abandoned the US as your primary residence
A2: Yes, the above stated applies to her aswell
A3: If this assignment in any form or shape benefits the US government/commerce, look into an N-470. Otherwise, I would personally not accept this assignment until I become a US citizen. It is simply not worth it in my opinion. The call is yours.
A4: No visit more than 6 months in nature and your total physical count outside the US never to exceed 30 months when you file your N-400.
A5: See A1 and A4
A6: Taxes, insurance, etc?
A7: This is a personal decision. Is the salary/package being offered in India worth delaying your citizenship or even risking your GC?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as being away for more than 6 months is concerned ... for naturalization purposes, multiple trips close together that are under 6 months each, but total over 6 months, are effectively the equivalent of one trip over 6 months. For maintaining the green card you can often get away with multiple trips of 5.5 months each, but for naturalization they analyze all your past trips, not just the most recent one.

A3: If this assignment in any form or shape benefits the US government/commerce, look into an I-470.
I take it you meant N-470.

Normally I don't bother to point out typos on web forums, but when something like this is mistyped it makes a world of a difference to the meaning of the sentence.

Eligibility for citizenship and maintaining GC are 2 different things. Why do people on this forum forget to mention reentry permit? People have been gone for 2 years and came back on reentry and were able to keep the GC. People go on extended trips abroad..... Come on...

Disclaimer:
This is not good advice potentially. I am not a lawyer. Use this at your own risk.