Qs on travel to Canada

porkman

Registered Users (C)
I plan to drive to Vancover next month. My passport expired long time ago and I don't plan to renew it. My RTD expired the end of September. My question is: is Green Card itself sufficient for me to go to Canada and back to US? Anyone has any experience?

Hello.

As long as I know If you are planning to enter directly from USA you don't need anything.

You can show at the both side of the border you are fine.

Regards.

Freedom1963 said:
Hello.

As long as I know If you are planning to enter directly from USA you don't need anything.

You can show at the both side of the border you are fine.

Regards.
Thanks for your reply. So when I return to US, just a GC should be fine?

cadel said:
Good.From january 2007,passport will be required.

That is incorrect. A passport is required ONLY from U.S citizens or Canadian citizens not GC holders when crossing Canada to U.S. Before U.S Citizens or Canadian citizens could show a birth certificate or any proof of citizenship to enter U.S.

So if you are a gc holder nothing has changed for you.

wantmygcnow said:
That is incorrect. A passport is required ONLY from U.S citizens or Canadian citizens not GC holders when crossing Canada to U.S. Before U.S Citizens or Canadian citizens could show a birth certificate or any proof of citizenship to enter U.S.

And just to clarify further: you will only need a green card to cross the Canadian border and back to the US.

wantmygcnow said:

What's up with GC FP deal at POE? Any news?

wantmygcnow said:
What officer told me was they will implement on Jan 2007.

But did he not mention that they would do it ONLY if there is a reason to verify identity, if I remember correctly from your entry experience from germany?

Go to Canada by Car

Hello everyboy !
I have the same question, the only different thing is I am planning to go to Toronto Canada by Car through Niagara Falls.
My questions are :
1. Do I just show IO my GC to both side?
2. Are they going to search the car?
3. I have a American born son about 20 Mos. years old. Do I need to show them his Passport at the border ?
Everybody please reply ?
Thank's and GBU!

Goig to toronto

Hi I just visted toronto via Niagra Falls last week & also i visited there in august. Both sides ask for any kind of ID, Where u r going in toronto, how long u will stay. I show them my GC so they let me in both ways. My daughter is a US born citizen so i have to show them the passport but i believe showing an original birth certificate is fine too.
They ask verbally about any food/alchohal or any kind of tobacco i am bringing back from canada. I hope this information will help u.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION WHATELSE...
BASED ON YOUR INFORMATION, YOU DIDN'T SHOW THEM YOUR NP, DID YOU?

whatelse said:
Hi I just visted toronto via Niagra Falls last week & also i visited there in august. Both sides ask for any kind of ID, Where u r going in toronto, how long u will stay. I show them my GC so they let me in both ways. My daughter is a US born citizen so i have to show them the passport but i believe showing an original birth certificate is fine too.
They ask verbally about any food/alchohal or any kind of tobacco i am bringing back from canada. I hope this information will help u.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that, by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors. The U.S. passport is the document of choice because of the incorporated advanced security features.

Travelers to and from Canada will be required to have a U.S. passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. For land border crossings to Canada, other documents that we anticipate will be acceptable are NEXUS and FAST program cards. No other document is currently available that will be an acceptable substitute for a U.S. passport, NEXUS or FAST card. However, we are using new technologies to create other acceptable travel documents. We will make public additional travel document options as they become available.

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Passport required for all land border crossings, as well as air and sea travel.
Current Requirements for Entry Into Canada

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

Proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.
Photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.
All U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport.

Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada. However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States.

Due to international concern over child abduction, single parents, grandparents, or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. (This is in addition to proof of citizenship as explained above.) Any person under the age of 18 and traveling alone should carry a letter from his/her parent or guardian authorizing the trip. Travelers without such documentation may experience delays at the port of entry.