Pros and cons claiming visiting parents as dependants

live4u

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I claimed my parents who visited me last yer for 183 days as dependants. The dilemma I am facing is, I am currently with EAD (485 pending) waiting for my GC and my I140 is approved. I heard from some folks that claiming the visiting parents as dependats for tax puroposes can jeopordize my GC application. I am very confused right now.

As I had to apply for their ITIN, I have to snail mail the tax return application. So, I havent sent them yet. If people say that dont do it, I will redo my taxes without making them as my dependants.

Appreciate every response.

Thanks

I heard from some folks that claiming the visiting parents as dependats for tax puroposes can jeopordize my GC application. I am very confused right now.

Listening to "some folks" can be confusing. On what basis do they make this claim? Or did they hear this from "some other folks"?

I guess thats how the word spreads. But, want to check if its good a idea to claim or a no no in this situation.

I guess thats how the word spreads. But, want to check if its good a idea to claim or a no no in this situation.

I have claimed my parents as dependents whenever appropriate. I did not have any problem getting GC. I have friends whose parents visit US regularly and they claim them as dependents when eligible. I didn't see them having problem either. In fact I don't think there is even remote connection between GC and parents as dependents. Please go ahead without hesitation as long as you meet the requirements.