• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Proof of Funds needed at DV Interview in London

sjm123

Hi

My wife and I have our DV Interview scheduled for June at the embassy in London. I was hoping that someone on the forum might have recent experience of proof of funds requirements at the embassy in London.

At this stage the US sponsor route is unlikely so we would like to provide proof of own funds to satisfy the public charge provisions of US immigration.

I originally thought that for a family of two people I could supply 12 months bank statements showing a balance around $18 000 (as per the 125% Poverty Guidelines table) and possibly in addition we would show the value of our home from estate agents valuations and a recent mortgage balance show further asset value as the difference.

I now think all this is wrong based on a webchat transcript of someone asking a similar question on the London Embassy website. The response definitely seems to indicate that if I do not have a US sponsor I need to show about $91000 is cash in bank account (5 times yearly poverty guideline of $18000) AND houses cannot be used as proof of assets as they are not necessarily convertible to cash within 6 months.

Does anyone else have recent experience of this?? If not I am stuck! :(

See below transcript extracts from WebChat from London Embassy:

30. Marco Curreli: Can a Diversity Immigrant Visa applicant who is scheduled for a consular interview in London meet / satisfy the public charge provisions of the law by submitting SOLELY the following 2 pieces of evidence? 1) The applicant’s own bank statement showing the present balance of his account, the date the account was opened, the number and amount of deposits and withdrawals during the past 12 months, and the average balance during the year? If so, what is the minimum present balance and minimum average balance during the year required by the consular office? And 2) Proof of the applicant’s ownership of an automobile, in the form of an automobile title and the bank records showing the applicant’s monthly car payments to date? *

Consular Officer: A DV applicant may submit bank statement(s) showing the present balance of account(s) and activity over the past 12 months as proof of assets to satisfy the public charge provisions of U.S. immigration law. The current balance must meet 5 times the annual salary for the applicant’s family size, as specified on the I-864P as 125% of the poverty line. Example: For a family size of 1-2 people, the DV applicant must submit proof of at least $91,060 in cash, liquid assets. The applicant should be able to explain the source of funds in their bank accounts. If an applicant does not have sufficient assets, s/he may submit an I-134 completed by a joint sponsor that lives in the U.S as either a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.

31. PeggyC: I've heard that homes are no longer being counted as part of assets for the I-864 - is this true? *

Consular Officer: In general a home cannot be submitted as proof of assets because the assets must be able to be liquidated within 6 months. If the home is under contract, it may be considered, but will be handled on a case by case bases. Assets provided for the I-864 must be cash liquid assets or be able to be liquidated within 6 months, so the funds can be used if needs arise upon arrival in the U.S.

Thanks!

I don't think that the minimum assets required for Public Charge Provisions would differ from country to another!

I do know that London is very difficult for many visa's like E2 visa's. So far most people from London had good experiences with the DV lottery, since they all need to have their origin from another country to be eligible or at least one of their parents which might make a difference.

Getting an E2 visa in London, is very hard, but many got it, but are now getting out of the US, due to the bad things that come with the E2 visa...but that is another issue.

IMO hardly any one can show that amount of money...I know that homes and cars aren't counted towards funding. Specially since it is very hard to sell a home nowadays and it takes way longer. Years ago a home was seen in a different way. Even contracts can take very long to close.

Apparently if you second notification letter about your appointment does not make any reference to providing proof of funds as well, then you do not need to. Can anyone confirm this?

Apparently if you second notification letter about your appointment does not make any reference to providing proof of funds as well, then you do not need to. Can anyone confirm this?

In my experience this is simply not the case. My 2NL didn't make any mention of proof of funds, but they were asked for.
I know of others who did there interview at the London embassy and this was the case also.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/11poverty.shtml

The link above should give you an indication of the 'cash' required depending on family size.

An affadavit of support is really what they want, and trumps everything else.

As i understand, it there is some discretion applied based on your personal circumstances including your skills, work experience, family status, age etc.

The location of your interview does appear to have some effect on how the public charge provisions are applied.

From what i have read, if i did my interview in Sydney (being australian) as opposed to London, it is possible that the requirement to show proof of funds might not be so pertinent.

Overall, it's always best to be prepared however, and furnish as much evidence (bank statements, AOS ect) as possible.

AJK

Last edited by a moderator: