Project Ocean #17 FAX/E-MAIL to Zoe Lofgren (D CA 16) - WAC-03 Latest Scan Report

Vote after your participation.

• I have faxed to Zoe Lofgren.

Votes: 16 88.9%

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
text version

ImmigrationPortal.Com
Community for Information,
Action and Reform

July 26, 2004

RE: Bill to Amend Section 316(a)(1) of the INA
as the relief for innocent victims of USCIS unreasonable I-485 processing delay during 2003

Dear Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren;

We are very pleased that you and 43 Congressional Members have written to USCIS Director Eduardo Aguirre on June 15, 2004 to address immigration petition backlog. We are sending letters with our appreciation to all 44 Congressional Members. Meanwhile, USCIS updated its Backlog Elimination Plan, and introduced a couple of pilot programs. Over two years of the current I-485 backlog would be eliminated by the end of FY2006.

However, there are still a lot of I-485 applicants who have been already waiting for more than two years. Those old applicants were not allowed to file I-485 concurrently with I-140, so it has been almost three years since their I-140 being filed. On the other hand, USCIS is trying to adjudicate both I-140 and I-485 at the same time within 60 days for new applicants under the pilot program. We strongly believe that the U.S. government's immigration policy during 2003, which discriminated long-waiting I-485 applicants, was unconstitutional.

As the relief for those innocent victims of such an illegal policy, we urge Congress to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) about five-year residential requirement for Naturalization. Under section 316(a)(1) of the INA, we have to wait another five years to apply Naturalization after I-485 being approved. Considering the above fact and new I-140/I-485 process, please introduce a bill:
Section 316(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1427(a)(1)) is amended by inserting "after the petition for the immigrant visa under section 204(a) being filed or" before "after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence".
Here, the "petition for the immigrant visa under section 204(a)" means I-140 (or I-130). We believe this kind of amendment is the only way that the U.S. Congress can implement the justice for Immigrants who have been contributing the United States for a long time with their commitment and hard work.

Sincerely,

Faxed to Zoe Lofgren

I emailed the text provide by Kashmir (text version) to Zoe Lofgren just a minute ago.

parolee,
wac03002

List of Participants as of 8/2/2004
  1. kashmir
  2. 140_takes_4ever
  3. golumolu
  4. rk4gc
  5. lareds
  6. theWarrior
  7. ruxrux
  8. gettingclosernow
  9. pinnacle_man
  10. parolee
  11. wittAAAA

List of Participants as of 8/3/2004
  1. kashmir
  2. 140_takes_4ever
  3. golumolu
  4. rk4gc
  5. lareds
  6. theWarrior
  7. ruxrux
  8. gettingclosernow
  9. pinnacle_man
  10. parolee
  11. wittAAAA
  12. max2k1
  13. talkative
  14. vtg
  15. optimistique
  16. 18louhans

Last chance of your participations

Two days before Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's town hall meeting.

kashmir said:
Last chance of your participations
Two days before Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's town hall meeting.
Most of this forum members have missed this opportunity.