Processing time for green card based on asylum

Hi all,

My case was updated today and it said that my case was transferred to another office. Can anyone tell me what this is? And where it would be transferred? Or if it’s a good sign or a bad sign?

May 2018

TSC

thanks

Hi all,

My case was updated today and it said that my case was transferred to another office. Can anyone tell me what this is? And where it would be transferred? Or if it’s a good sign or a bad sign?

May 2018

TSC

thanks
I think this means that your case is transferred to the field office where you live or to a nearby USCIS field office you can possibly go. The next step is either an interview or a final approval or maybe request for additional information, but not sure about the timeline. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

May 2018

TSC

thanks
You applied for green card since May 2018?

Yes that is correct.
May 2018 filed with NSC and then they transferred my case to TSC for some reason and it’s been sitting there collecting dust ever since.
If I were you I will file the mandamus lawsuit. Some people got processed in 3-12 months while you are waiting over 3 years. There is no reasonable explanation for this since they ALREADY processed your background when granting you asylum status. The adjustment of status is not something that is so hard for them.

By any chance, did anyone have an experience of sending i-485 earlier, without waiting a year after asylum's approval. Keeping in mind that applications are on hold for more than a year now, so by the time they would get my application for a review, it would meet the requirement of 1 year residency.

By any chance, did anyone have an experience of sending i-485 earlier, without waiting a year after asylum's approval. Keeping in mind that applications are on hold for more than a year now, so by the time they would get my application for a review, it would meet the requirement of 1 year residency.
No. You can only send I-485 after a year of being an asylee. Any early application will be rejected.
Waiting is a part of the game. I know it is unfair but what can we do.

No. You can only send I-485 after a year of being an asylee. Any early application will be rejected.
Waiting is a part of the game. I know it is unfair but what can we do.
I'm not sure unfair is the right word. People are waiting years for asylum approvals. I get it when it applies for just arrived asylees but most of us lived long enough to provide the evidence of residency.

unfortunately it doesn't work that way. the 1 year residency requirement is for filing date by the applicant , not the review /decision making date. i agree with you that the one year residency doesn't make sense , its a waste of time and resources. all approved asylum cases should get green card automatically.

unfortunately it doesn't work that way. the 1 year residency requirement is for filing date by the applicant , not the review /decision making date. i agree with you that the one year residency doesn't make sense , its a waste of time and resources. all approved asylum cases should get green card automatically.
I know right? What is the reason for processing the AOS asylum based that long when their backgrounds were already processed at the first place.

I wouldn't mind but it takes years now. First you wait for an interview and their decision, then a year, then 2 years for AOS, so by the time of your retirement you'd be good to go, lol

There is a thing that bothering me.

So as soon as you got approved for asylum you can apply for RTD, right? But it takes about a year to receive it.

And at the same time when you fill out I-485 you can add I-131 free of charge.

The question is would it be possible to apply for a new one and save on fees, as well as to keep your RTD that you've just received.

There is a thing that bothering me.

So as soon as you got approved for asylum you can apply for RTD, right? But it takes about a year to receive it.

And at the same time when you fill out I-485 you can add I-131 free of charge.

The question is would it be possible to apply for a new one and save on fees, as well as to keep your RTD that you've just received.
According to the adjudication manual of the RTD:
If a previously issued RTD was not surrendered by the applicant, you should request the alien return it or explain in detail the reason he/she cannot. You should resolve this matter satisfactorily before delivering the new RTD. Normally, the surrendered RTD should be retained in the A-file. However, an expired RTD may be returned to the bearer if it contains valid visas or other endorsements. A corner of the cover and identity page must be clipped before returning the RTD (with the booklet closed, seam or fold at the top, cut the lower right corner of the travel document)

You cannot possess two valid RTDs at the same time.

However, the I-131 doesn't have to be filed at the same time as I-485 to qualify for fee waiver. From USCIS website:
You do not need to pay an additional fee for Form I-131 if:
  • You are filing Form I-131 Application Type B or D;
  • You filed a Form I-485 with a fee on/after July 30, 2007; and
  • Your Form I-485 is still pending.
So as long your I-485 is still pending, you can apply for a free I-131 RTD.

Current processing times can disagree with you, hopefully they would change it in the near future
Current processing time on the USCIS time is useles and just piece of sh*t ! They just do it so people can’t sue them until your case is out of processing times and that’s it! But the processing times on the website is untrue and means nothing sir!

Current processing time on the USCIS time is useles and just piece of sh*t ! They just do it so people can’t sue them until your case is out of processing times and that’s it! But the processing times on the website is untrue and means nothing sir!
I figured the same, it also s*cks that I can't open a case of outstanding processing time until 60 days are passed. It feels more often that USCIS likes to make things more difficult than it is. I mean they do mail you EAD at the same time as you got your approval letter but exclude unrestricted SSN and RTD, I bet they can manage to mail you all documents at once, but they just don'.

I think with the new government, the process will be faster, but everything is slower.Iam waiting to get RTD since 6 months ago